SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#250931 - 12/16/08 11:52 AM Re: Final OAS Real Styles mp3s
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Spalding

The Wersi suits me better than others at present, the future could be different.

If you think a Wersi sounds like a Theatre Organ, then the only thing I can say is that you have never heard a Theatre Organ, as the Wersi is crap, (Even if you buy the Theatre samples) get yourself a Roland Atelier if you want Theatre sounds on an entertainment organ. (As they are awesome)

Regards

Bill

#250932 - 12/16/08 12:53 PM Re: Final OAS Real Styles mp3s
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by spalding:
The problem for me is that i have never heard a wersi sound great.

In fairness, as I've posted before, their W series organs (Helios, Saturn, Galaxy etc) were the absolute pinnacle of the analogue era, IMO. Those instruments were market leaders worthy of their whopping price tags (or at least they were until we realised how unreliable they would prove to be).

Unfortunately, in the digital era, they've always been an also-ran. Not helped by a lack of long-term management/investment and woeful after-sales support. Frankly, they haven't made a single instrument since the mid 1980s that couldn't be bettered by something else for a fraction of the price.

And yet, the name continues, rather like a struggling car marque, clinging to the faded appeal of past glories...

[This message has been edited by Seamaster (edited 12-16-2008).]

#250933 - 12/16/08 02:25 PM Re: Final OAS Real Styles mp3s
abacus Offline

Hi Seamaster

In all polls of uses that own, have owned, or have known Wersi for a long time, its always the Wersi Spectra that comes out top, (The analogues are a fair way down) as when it was released in 1987 it was way ahead of anything on the market, (It was so good, it took Yamaha more than 3 years to get anywhere close, by which time Wersi added the Livestyle system with its (For then) massive 3MB of sample Ram and 18bit D/A converters)

From then on as we all know, the cost of developing Livestyle and the Grand Piano spin off bought Wersi to its Knees, and bankruptcy ensured.

Ironically the Livestyle and Grand Piano also saved the company, as theLivestyle instruments and technology won that many awards, the banks set up there own management team to run the company, and consequently during the 90s Wersi innovation pretty much went out of the Window.

The technology was eventually bought by Thomas, who still uses it in their instruments today. (Updated of course)

In fact the only true Wersi technology left is Thomas, as the OAS system was not invented or conceived by current Wersi, as they just took over a prototype from Creamware.

Regards

Bill

[This message has been edited by abacus (edited 12-16-2008).]

#250934 - 12/17/08 01:42 AM Re: Final OAS Real Styles mp3s
Anonymous
Unregistered

I played a Spectra and thought it hugely overrated. Yamaha's HX-1, unveiled the same year, was a much more compelling proposition. But don't take my word for it. Compare the residual values of the two instruments. That will tell you what the market thought, and continues to think.

#250935 - 12/17/08 04:45 AM Re: Final OAS Real Styles mp3s
abacus Offline

Hi Seamaster

There are very few HX1s left around these days, whereas there are plenty of Spectra’s and their variations, which also sell at a much higher price then the HX1, so you have answered your own question.

The difference between the 2 was the way they generated sound, the HX1 used FM synthesis and the Spectra used Wavetable synthesis. (Exception was the drums on the Spectra which used samples)
If you were in to more of a synth type of sound then the Yamaha was probably the better, (Some fantastic brass sounds on there also) however if you were more into acoustic/Orchestral (Including Organ) sounds, the Spectra was the more realistic of the 2.

In the end it’s all down to personal choice as to which you prefer, (If you want to hear an HX1 sing, go and have a listen to Tony Stace, as it still produces some great sounds in his hands) and as to price, (New) when you added all the features on both instruments the prices were about the same.

Also note that in the UK and Europe the Spectra outsold the HX1.

Regards

Bill

#250936 - 12/17/08 05:50 AM Re: Final OAS Real Styles mp3s
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
There are very few HX1s left around these days

There are many, and all still working, unlike the majority of Wersi instruments of similar age.

Quote:
Spectra’s and their variations also sell at a much higher price then the HX1

No they don't.

Quote:
The difference between the 2 was the way they generated sound, the HX1 used FM synthesis and the Spectra used Wavetable synthesis.

Again, not correct, the HX-1 offered AWM (sampled waveforms) as well as FM tone generation.

[This message has been edited by Seamaster (edited 12-17-2008).]

#250937 - 12/17/08 05:51 AM Re: Final OAS Real Styles mp3s
Anonymous
Unregistered

#250938 - 12/17/08 06:44 AM Re: Final OAS Real Styles mp3s
abacus Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Seamaster:
Again, not correct, the HX-1 offered AWM (sampled waveforms) as well as FM tone generation.

Yes you are correct there

Specifically Piano 1, Piano 2, Marimba, Strings and Pipe organ which were polyphonic for U/L manuals

Pipe Organ, String Bass, Wood Bass, Electric Bass and Timpani which were monophonic for best use on the pedals

60 Drum instruments (The Spectra had 112)

If memory serves correct they were either 8 or 12 bit resolution (Can’t remember which)

Also all voices on the Spectra were polyphonic (Although they could be switched to mono if required) and could be used anywhere on the instrument, rather then being split into sections.
In addition the Spectra was continually updated with new technologies, right up to about 1998, whereas to update the HX1 you had to replace it with the ELX1.

Regards

Bill

#250939 - 12/17/08 07:16 AM Re: Final OAS Real Styles mp3s
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:

The difference between the 2 was the way they generated sound, the HX1 used FM synthesis

Actually Bill, the Yamaha HX-1, used AWM (sampled acoustic sound) for some it's voices and percussion.

I spent quite some time with one and it was(and still is) an amazing instrument.

Ian

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online