SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2507 - 09/08/03 07:52 AM Minimoog Variations
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi,
I was just noticeing how many different versions there were of the Classic Minimoog Synthesizer.

Minimoog (classic)
SE-1 (Rackmount Mini)
Stienberg Model-E (virtual)
Creamware Minimax (virtual)
MIDIMax Controllers ( for use with Minimax)
Minimoog Voyager (latest)

So that is six versions that have been made. Seven if you count the Mini that was supossed to be released by Moog music of Cincinatti OH. (not affilated with Bob Moog and Moog Music). That company failed Miserably just after setting up shop. I think it was about the same time that Bob Moog was trying too get the use of his name back.

Anyway I was just surprised to see so many versions of this Classic synth, there were. And each one of them is expensive. I wonder if anyone else will atempt to make another version of the Minimoog.

BTW: Did the Orgional Mini come out in 1970 or 1971? Some places like the Moog Archives list it as 1970. Others list it as 1971? Which year is correct.

#2508 - 09/08/03 05:22 PM Re: Minimoog Variations
Soft Machine Offline

The official debut was in summer 1970 by Dick Hyman

But i read that David Borden of Mother Mallard actually gigged with a model D prototype months before

#2509 - 09/08/03 08:06 PM Re: Minimoog Variations
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
A lot of MINIs were custom built (and modified). I came across a few MINIs in my life.One even had pictures of naked girls painted all over it.
The one that I've got was made in mid 70's and has a beautiful wooden finish. I had an opportunity to speak to Bob Moog at NAMM and was a bit shocked to find out that MoogMusic no longer build custom analog synths.
Don't get me wrong - Voyager's a nice looking synth, but it's design is a bit "standard" looking, comparing to some of the older MINIs.
I mean some of the moogs made in 77 were just masterpieces. Anyone ever seen one of those?
ED

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 09-08-2003).]

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 09-09-2003).]

#2510 - 09/08/03 08:52 PM Re: Minimoog Variations
Anonymous
Unregistered

What is it about the Minimoog that has so many people fascinated by it? Other then the fact that it was a ground breaking synth, and was the first modular synth to be put into a portable package. But what IS it about the mini that has drawn so much attention and demmand to drive the price of one up. I mean I know why I want one is becuse of those knobs. That to me is really what a synthesizer is. There is nothing elese like it anywhere. ( A synthesizer NOT the MINI).

And what about these Moogerfoogers? Stomp box versions of Synth Modules?

And why did Bob Moog decide to build a new minimoog. Instead of something completely different?

#2511 - 09/09/03 08:39 AM Re: Minimoog Variations
danb Offline

Can anybody identify what are those songs that became popular with an obvious sound from minimoog synth?

#2512 - 09/09/03 09:52 AM Re: Minimoog Variations
3351 Offline

Paul!
Bob Moog's answer to that would be obvious.
MINI is what got MOOG going to start with. Kind of like Les Paul with his solid body "less paul standard".
It's a brand name that people buy. Mostly for the name and reputation. Having a MINI or "Less Paul" is a statement. Almost a fashion statement, really....
I think once MoogMusic gets big again , they'll focus on new developments. Some are already in progress.
ED

#2513 - 09/09/03 11:41 AM Re: Minimoog Variations
Anonymous
Unregistered

ED, I see your point now, why moog is so popular.

Although, I would like too see moog produce more synthesizers like the mini. I know his other products like the Thermines and Moogerfoogers are popular, as well as the Voyager. And he has even introduced the Piano Bar to turn an accoustical piano into a Midi controller. Though that is not really impressive too me.

I remember Moog Music had a survey on there web site asking people if they should make a New Version Of the Taurs foot peadles. Also that had a section to ask people what other items they would like too see. I suggested a more affordable Moog synth. Something like the Micro, or Pordigy synth.

The Voyager is nice, but at $3,000.00 is way too expensive. If they could manufacture a synth around say $350-$400, maybe?

I would still like too own a Minimoog, or at least a moog synth. After all I did manage too snag an ARP AXXE and OMNI.

#2514 - 09/09/03 03:07 PM Re: Minimoog Variations
3351 Offline

Paul!
350$ is not realistic.
In today's world of the "silicon chip" analog circuitry is rather expensive to make.
Not to mention the fact that there's not enough demand for it.
I expect MOOG to come out with some kind of a budget version of the over-priced Voyager. But it will probably be about a 1000$ or even a little more.
Even if Voyager was mass-produced, it's price would still be a couple of grand though....
And everything is getting more and more expencive. Just think man, back in the days hamburgers in McDonalds were like 10 cents or something.
I think what was hundreds, now became thousands.
ED

#2515 - 09/09/03 08:57 PM Re: Minimoog Variations
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well I see your point. Prorbaly explains why a lot of newer analog synths are at least $1,000.00 or more. The cheapst one I have seen is Dave Smiths Evolver for $499.00. And that is only a small table top module. But I also nticed that his Moogerfooger stomp boxes are $269.00 only becuse that is just a single component. The CP-251 is $369.00, and the VX-351 voyager expander is $265.00 But these are last two are expanders only though.

I guess this is why only a select few can afford too buy a Minimoog voyager. Though I gather he makes up for it in stomp boxes and thermines. It's a good thing he's not makeing modular systems.

Now if he just made an VCO stomp box?

#2516 - 09/09/03 11:29 PM Re: Minimoog Variations
Soft Machine Offline

You IdiOt

they do

even to itds lowest, a BOSS pedal SYB-3

its a f*uckin VCO

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online