SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#250699 - 12/11/08 02:38 PM Re: A new concept
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
The problem with all this is that there ARE hardware issues. The RAM for the OS is limited. Every time you add a new feature, less remains. At this point (after TWO major upgrades and feature additions), I suspect it is gone. Roland Europe DID, at one time, answer a direct question (about the .bmp viewer) with the information that there were hardware issues with the G70 that made this feature impossible on the G70.

I think, at this point though, that Roland needs to get on with the NEW arrangers. I sure don't remember so much bitching about the G1000, because there WAS a newer arranger for those hitting the wall on the G1000. This is no longer the case. The G70 is IT, as far as TOTL 76's in Roland's arranger lineup.

The E80 does have an upgrade path, though. It's already on OS2, which added the MP3 player amongst other things, and has quite a few OS improvements over the G70. To be honest, I can't understand the reason why Roland hasn't simply packaged the E80's innards in the G70's skin, and come out with a quick fix 'G80'...

One of my pet theories is that Roland basically shot themselves in the foot with the rushed out OS1 G70. It went over poorly with a LOT of older Roland fans, that had moved on to Yamaha or Korg while the inept VA-series ran it's course, with poorly balanced styles and too much reverb (thank you! Roland Europe - why are Europeans so addicted to reverb? ) and an OTS system that made little sense.

OS2 and OS3 addressed most of the issues, but the damage had been done. And, in Roland's eyes, after spending all that money on OS2 & 3, sales did NOT pick up significantly. Hence, I imagine, their reticence at making yet ANOTHER free upgrade, which won't do much to sales present OR future.

For me, there are only a few niggles left, and none of them are of course deal-breakers (or I wouldn't still be using it!). Would I LOVE to see Roland finally address them? Sure. Do I expect it? Not at all. Can I use my G70 in the meantime? You bet! Will I buy the next Roland 76 G-series? If it is sufficiently better than the G70.

I STILL can't get into Korg's (not enough fills, too weird a file system, not easy enough style and SMF editing, wanky B3 and piano IMO) Yamaha don't think anybody can play piano that uses an arranger (or they would make a 76), Wersi and Ketron make arrangers for wealthy retirees, not poor hard working pros!

What choice do I have?

#250700 - 12/11/08 02:46 PM Re: A new concept
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Fair enough points I guess.

I do agree that had Roland put the E-80 into a G70 shell, sans speakers, it would have been a good idea.

Dennis

#250701 - 12/11/08 02:48 PM Re: A new concept
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:

That instrument is called a MediaStation...

I guess I'll wait till Yamaha makes a Modular interchangable Tyros

#250702 - 12/11/08 02:55 PM Re: A new concept
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Korg is kinda on track with this.. Look at what you can do with the M3... These synths let you mount the Radias R..., and I think the 88 key version allows you to mount both the Radias R.., and a second M3 Module... A very cool thing to look to in the future if you don't want to dish out more dough for a full keyboard.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#250703 - 12/11/08 03:01 PM Re: A new concept
miden Offline

Donny I think the Media Station is a brilliant concept, and is EXACTLY what one would need to create their own system as Fran has mentioned above, but it's way too expensive......Now!

Yes I know I could have got one for 1000 Euros, but I am not in the financial position of some and I had to sell my keyboard to finance the purchase, only to find that (and through no fault of his) Dom had to put back the shipping date, a couple of times which then left me out on a limb as far as work went..

I had to VERY reluctantly pull out of buying one, because I just HAD to have a setup for some work that I could not cancel.

I had managed to get out of other gig dates (because of no keyboard) or get fill-ins, but some I just HAD to do.

Of course then the global financial crisis hit which then sent the cost of the MS soaring. So no I have the G70...Good keyboard that it is, it's not a Media Station.

Neither is anything Yamaha or Korg are going to serve up over the next 2 years either.

Dennis

#250704 - 12/11/08 03:12 PM Re: A new concept
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
The trouble with the MS is that the CONCEPT is twenty years ahead of us, but the EXECUTION is twenty years behind.

Cutting edge design, tied to sounds and styles fit for a Casio!

Is that what you really want? Because, the way I see it, hardly anybody here does anything at ALL to their arranger, other than maybe going out and finding some new styles or converted styles on the web, and usually discarding those that need any significant work to sound good...

You pull it out of the box, you switch it on, and you PLAY IT...

Maybe change some OTS, some key layouts, that's it TOPS.

The MS, you are going to have to do EVERYTHING yourself. Find the styles. Make the styles. Voice the styles. Create a whole VSTi soundset for the arranger. Balance them all against each other. Learn Linux. Learn loop slicing. Buy, or create your own loop libraries.

After all that (and more), you MIGHT be able to get it to sound as good as a PA2Xpro, or a T3, or a G70.

You MIGHT....

So far, Dom certainly hasn't, and he designed the thing! What are YOUR odds?

#250705 - 12/11/08 03:23 PM Re: A new concept
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
Donny I think the Media Station is a brilliant concept, and is EXACTLY what one would need to create their own system as Fran has mentioned above, but it's way too expensive......Now!

Yes I know I could have got one for 1000 Euros, but I am not in the financial position of some and I had to sell my keyboard to finance the purchase, only to find that (and through no fault of his) Dom had to put back the shipping date, a couple of times which then left me out on a limb as far as work went..

I had to VERY reluctantly pull out of buying one, because I just HAD to have a setup for some work that I could not cancel.

I had managed to get out of other gig dates (because of no keyboard) or get fill-ins, but some I just HAD to do.

Of course then the global financial crisis hit which then sent the cost of the MS soaring. So no I have the G70...Good keyboard that it is, it's not a Media Station.

Neither is anything Yamaha or Korg are going to serve up over the next 2 years either.

Dennis

Dennis....

I have played a MS at Frans studio last year and enjoyed it once you get he hang of it....although some time later it is much more improved as I have read. The MS has so much promise and is a wonderful ergonomically designed unit with a super quality build, the buttons & large screen are a pleasure.....the features take a while to get used to but it all makes sense once you play for a while. This is not a beginners KB but I would say with some diligent learning you will feel comfortable in a short while. It can do so many things beyond the average arranger & is always a work in progress. Hopefully things will work out for MS in the future. Dominic is surly trying hard to make that a reality!

#250706 - 12/11/08 03:29 PM Re: A new concept
miden Offline

I sure hope so too Donny.. I even considered setting up a small company and then applying to be the wholesaler and to import them into Australia, but they would be way too expensive to sell even one or two a year.

I hope he can generate enough sales so the price can come down somewhat.

As a long term keyboard user (and arranger keyboard user) in Oz, I would reckon a retail (your MRP) price of about 2300 Euros (about $4500) would put it in the ball park. But NOT 5000 euros!!

Dennis

#250707 - 12/11/08 04:35 PM Re: A new concept
Dnj Offline

Dennis......I hope your right & another scenario could be a takeover of MS by a bigger company....or another manufacturer takes some of the MS ideas in their own way and implement them in to Totaly new arranger in the future putting MS out of commission altogether.

#250708 - 12/11/08 04:38 PM Re: A new concept
miden Offline

Donny I think your observation....

"or another manufacturer takes some of the MS ideas in their own way and implement them in to Totaly new arranger in the future putting MS out of commission altogether".....

may very well end up being quite prophetic!!

Dennis

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online