SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#250505 - 12/08/08 06:53 AM Bose L1, M1 & Tyros2, etc. set up
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Guys-

Looks like I'll be picking up a Bose L1, model 1 soon...That will include one subwoofer. I may add the tone engine later, but not right now.

Since I'm not buying the tone engine, I'll be running the Tyros 2 L into channel 3, the right into ch. 4. My vocal output, in mono from the digitech...will go into one...

Q: Thoughts on my running stereo out of the digitech in to channel 1 and 2 respectively? Would I gain much from just using the single mono feed? (I ask because they suggest I run 2 lines (L&R) from the Tyros...does this approach apply to my vocals also?)

Q: Is there a way to increase the overall reverb (globally) on the T2 that doesn't sound bad? Or, is it a piecemeal approach...(Registration by registration?)

Thanks-

Bill

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#250506 - 12/08/08 07:05 AM Re: Bose L1, M1 & Tyros2, etc. set up
Dnj Offline

Bill you'll never get stereo from a mono system......with that said I would suggest using two cables L&R outputs, to my ears most times it gives you a fuller sound, you can test this yourself,hook up both and while your playing remove the R/cable & listen close... & there has been talk of phasing problems with pianos with Yamaha units in previous posts too when using NON Stereo as a primarily a full KB Piano/arranger player check that out also.....I hope you played all your gear thru the Bose before you purchase it? Also why do you want global Reverb? Aren't all your registrations EQ'd properly part by part?

Anyway Good luck with your bew system & report back soon.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 12-08-2008).]

#250507 - 12/08/08 07:09 AM Re: Bose L1, M1 & Tyros2, etc. set up
Bill in Dayton Offline

Hey Donny-

Yes, I played everything through both BOSE and am pretty set on the model 1. Those were the reccomendations from the salesperson as well as the guys at the bose forum..

I'll have to experiment a bit with it once I actually get my hands on it, of course...

I'll have to dig up those threads that talked about the phasing thing you mentioned...

Thanks-

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#250508 - 12/08/08 07:34 AM Re: Bose L1, M1 & Tyros2, etc. set up
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bill,

I've personally never had an issue with phase cancellation, and only two forum members ever reported it. I've always said Yamaha's grand piano sound was a bit thin, therefore, I created my own custom piano sound, which provided a much fuller and more uniform sound over the range of the keyboard. I posted this piano sound at the PSR Tutorial site and it has been downloaded hundreds of times with great reviews. It works well in the T1 and T2 as well.

I, and my audiences, never had a problem with the stereo V/S mono issue, and several times in the past I have made reference to this. In fact, dozens of mid-Atlantic area DJs and KJs have switched to the L1 and L1 model II and said they would never again revert to lugging around a conventional sound system. These guys are doing some monster gigs, weddings, conventions, animal clubs, etc.. and when asked about the stereo V/S mono issue they pretty much said "It's a non-issue!" I wouldn't loose any sleep over this if I were in your shoes,

I just finished sending you an email addressing the physical hook-up that I use, and the advantages it provides me. So that others can gain some insight of what I have done I'm also posting the information here as well.

You can set the global EQ of the keyboard in the EQ page of the keyboard's Mixing Console. Make sure you save the changes so they will become the default EQ settings when the keyboard is fired up. Try setting the EQ sliders to 5, 4, 2, 4, 8 and see hit it sounds to you.

As for connecting the Digitech VR and keyboard to the L1, the way I have mine set up is I fire the Digitech VR into the keyboard's Mic/Line in connection, then fire the output of the keyboard into channels 1 and 2. This
allows me to take advantage of the keyboard's mic settings, reverb, delay, EQ, compression, etc.., all the neat features, and save the information into a special registration I call SETUP. I also save my pedal settings in the
same registration, but nothing else is selected to save. Then, when I first turn on the keyboard, I select that registration and everything is ready to
go. No tinkering around with anything.

Another advantage of this is you can utilize the Bose L1 presets, which are quite unique in the way they add to the overall quality of sound. Each venue has it's own special EQ characteristics and several of the Bose presets
solved this problem with a few button pushes. For example, yesterday's job was at the Fort Hollabird Officers Club in Baltimore. The O-Club is the only structure still remaining of the old military facility, and the adjacent hall where I performed, was originally the old induction hall and gymnasium. It's an EQ nightmare, but in less than two minutes I have the L1 purring
like a kitten and everyone loved the sound.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#250509 - 12/08/08 08:12 AM Re: Bose L1, M1 & Tyros2, etc. set up
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Gary,

Can you email me you phone number? I am ordering my L1 M1 today and would like to talk with you before I hook it up.

thanks,
Hammer

#250510 - 12/08/08 09:50 AM Re: Bose L1, M1 & Tyros2, etc. set up
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Congratulations on ordering the Bose Bill and Hammer. It's an amazing system. I'll tell you with what happened to me Friday night at a gig and this is what I find the Bose is so versatile. No problem with large gigs we already know that.

I was hired to play a Christmas party at a country club on Friday night. I was led to believe it would be for a group of 100 in a ballroom within the club.

Surprise, surprise it was instead for 30 people in an area of the ballroom where they put up the removable partitions. So here I am with this mega pa system for 30 people and I thought talk about overkill. To add insult to injury they wanted to the volume very low. I had it very low and they asked could you just turn it down a little bit more. I obliged and turned it down. I could hardly hear the thing and wondered why are they even bothering to have me playing. Never got an applause at all either. One lady did walk by and gave me a thumbs up and that was it. So here I get paid for 2 hours, finish playing and start packing up. The party host who is a member of the CC came right up to me and said what you're finished playing and I said, I was hired for 2 hours and I played for about 2 hours and 10 minutes. He then offered to pay me for whatever an extra hour would cost. I said $100 more per hour and he agreed. The party broke up about 45 minutes later, a few more people gave me compliments and the new manager of the CC booked me for a couple of hours on New Year's from 6:30 to 8:30 PM. So even at low volumes BOSE is a winner.

#250511 - 12/08/08 09:53 AM Re: Bose L1, M1 & Tyros2, etc. set up
Bill in Dayton Offline

Stephan-

That's probably more of an endorsement of your skills than the Bose, lol...

Good job!

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#250512 - 12/08/08 09:56 AM Re: Bose L1, M1 & Tyros2, etc. set up
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Hammer,

You have mail.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online