SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#250491 - 12/08/08 12:41 PM Re: Survey, How many people use two keyboard in their performances?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by HankB:
Also I have gained a lot of weight as I get older and I have found two keyboards do much cover the extended tummy.

Finally... a REALLY good reason for a two keyboard stack That's funny, Hank

I don't care whether arrangers come in a module form or not. What is the PRIMARY reason I don't gig with two has nothing to do with form or weight... It is simply the fact that the manufacturers have almost gone out of their way to make sure you can't link two arrangers together with MIDI cords, and have them work as one.

I would be perfectly happy to haul around another keyboard, or even two, if I could simply and effectively link them in arranger mode, and have the fills, variations, Intros and Endings all selectable from the one master arranger. Then all you need to do is sync registrations with a common code, and individual Parts can be muted per registration, and a compound arranger is doable. To be honest, as long as you could get to the jacks, you wouldn't even have to take the secondary arranger out of the box. Just turn it on and let MIDI do the rest.

BUT NOOOOOoooo......

Don't the manufacturers realize that, with this one SIMPLE addition to the MIDI spec (and it doesn't have to be new codes, just a standardization of the codes already in existence), most of us probably WOULD be using two arrangers (more money for them!) rather than having to try to get the best sound with just one, with that's obvious compromise over two or more..?

Yes, modules would be good, but a module that didn't talk well to other gear is no better than a keyboard that does the same. Make the manufacturers standardize the code FIRST, then the demand (hence profitability) of modules may go up to the point that they start to make them again.

It's the CODES that are holding back the whole thing.

#250492 - 12/08/08 08:30 PM Re: Survey, How many people use two keyboard in their performances?
hitman Offline

Loc: VA/ USA
I lug with me a PA800 and Kurzweil K2661. If it is a smaller gig than PA800 and Ensoniq VFX-SD ( best keybed feel IMO).

#250493 - 12/09/08 12:55 PM Re: Survey, How many people use two keyboard in their performances?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Squeak, I only kid the folks I really like, so....FIRE AWAY! From you, I'll take anything you post in my direction as good natured kidding! (Nasty ole' "hole the wall" warehouse)!

Be well, friend!

R.

#250494 - 12/09/08 01:23 PM Re: Survey, How many people use two keyboard in their performances?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by pasadoble:
Being originally an organist I got used to the independent freedom of having 2 separate keyboards so I've always used 2, generally using a Yamaha S03 synth on top of my S900 and PSR3000 before that...unfortunatly the sounds on the S03 were really outshone by the S900 so I thought about the best way to go...solution... I got a 61 note controller and midi'ed it up to the S900 (RH2)...works a treat...I can play all the great guitar/sax sounds with my right hand with independent volume when soloing too...its like having a second S900 and did not break the bank.

Noel J

Noel, very interesting! I used to do this a lot before sounds on the arrangers got better, but I may re-visit this setup. This would give 61 notes of solo to work with, and only loading an extra 5 pounds or so.
DonM

#250495 - 12/09/08 01:35 PM Re: Survey, How many people use two keyboard in their performances?
leezone Offline

i use 2 arrangers for 2 simple reasons:

1- Versatility, Different styles and sounds
2- Backup

can't believe more people don't think of a backup plan.
arranger as an electronic could suddendly die on them, or decide not to power, or have a memory zap, etc...

i couln't imagine being at a wedding gig without backup...

so i use a Roland G-70 and a Ketron X3, so i am totally covered in case the worst happens

#250496 - 12/09/08 03:14 PM Re: Survey, How many people use two keyboard in their performances?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I would be possibly the happiest camper out there if I could MIDI an S900 to my G70.

The SA voices, the multipads, plus the Mega guitars in style mode, added to my G70's already fantastic sound would be the answer to all my problems.

But can I do this? Hell NO

Look, if even TWO manufacturers were to standardize, all the rest would fall rapidly into line...

Steve Demming, if you are reading this, have you got any info about why not one of the arranger manufacturers implement arranger operation codes (fills, variations, breaks, etc.) that work with anything but their own arrangers (and who in their right mind is going to link two from the same manufacturer? )?

I would already have a Yamaha now if they did, and probably a Korg too... Surely they can see that standardization will increase sales?

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 12-09-2008).]

#250497 - 12/10/08 02:55 AM Re: Survey, How many people use two keyboard in their performances?
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
I am about to get a Motif XS Rack unit to compliment my PA 800 with some kick ass synth sounds and arpeggios

#250498 - 12/10/08 04:50 AM Re: Survey, How many people use two keyboard in their performances?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Nick..., why did you get rid of your XS? I thought you had the Motif XS6... That's a great workstation.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#250499 - 12/10/08 12:51 PM Re: Survey, How many people use two keyboard in their performances?
Dnj Offline

I used to have Four KB's to lug plus amps/speakers ...Years ago early 70's/80's my band rig of choice on stage,

Hammond B3/w/cut legs, 147 RV Leslie /cut in half Top/Bottom, Fender Rhodes,
Juno 60 synth, Yamaha CS-01 Baby Synth.
http://www.synthmuseum.com/yamaha/yamcs101.html
http://www.synthmuseum.com/roland/rolju601.html

Man, have times changed!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 12-10-2008).]

#250500 - 12/10/08 03:14 PM Re: Survey, How many people use two keyboard in their performances?
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
Nick..., why did you get rid of your XS? I thought you had the Motif XS6... That's a great workstation.

unfortunately i couldn't afford to buy the PA 800 outright. I had to sell my Motif XS to help with the funds... the thing is - i hardly ever used it, wasnt a very inspiring keyboard.

The Motif has awesome synth sounds and arpeggios but i am truly an arranger player and i missed that. i was hoping that the korg would still have had some good usable synth leads but i am very dissapointed with this sound category on the Korg.

Dont get me wrong i love the keyboard but i need something else to give me the synth leads and pads i need. i might wait for a newer Motif to come out and then ill snap up a second hand XS6 very cheap...

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online