SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#250388 - 12/09/08 10:41 PM Re: Suggested breathing exercise
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
OK, so the performer wasn't all he should be, but it's the only vid I knew of with a good claviola example in it. There are a few other vids out there but the claviola is kind of in the background. I found the instrument to be kind of cool, doing different amounts of pitchbend on chord clusters; it's using pipes, not reeds, things like that. OR maybe everybody else here already knew all about the claviola so it took second place to opining about he who played it.

#250389 - 12/10/08 03:56 AM Re: Suggested breathing exercise
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I thought the Claviola was pretty neat, especially the pitch bending...cool!

#250390 - 12/10/08 04:51 AM Re: Suggested breathing exercise
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by FAEbGBD:
...I found the instrument to be kind of cool, doing different amounts of pitchbend on chord clusters; it's using pipes, not reeds, things like that...

Actually the Claviola uses reeds just like a Melodion. The difference is the way in which the reeds are mounted on the reed plate and the placement of pipes above each reed.

A harmonica responds to blowing and drawing right? Well, when you blow into a harmonica the reeds that respond are mounted on top of the reed plate and when you draw in air, it is the reeds on the bottom of the plate that respond. In other words, the sounding reed(s) move into the reed plate while producing sound. And on a harmonica it is the players hands, air pressure and constricting throat muscles that produce pitch bend.

In essence, the Claviola is designed with the reed plate mounted backwards so that when air is blown into the instrument, the reeds move away from the reed plate. Pipes are placed over each reed and when air flow is restricted at the open end of these pipes, it is similar to when a harmonica player constricts his throat muscles lowering the pitch of the note being played. In fact, each pipe has a tuning slider to make fine adjustments to the instrument.

Now here is a windblown keyboard instrument that does not use reeds. It is called the Suzuki Andes Recorder-Keyboard. It is basically a recorder whose tone holes are opened via a keyboard. Very unusual sounding. Andes Recorder-Keyboard

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
LearnMyKeyboard
JazzItUp Band

[This message has been edited by WDMcM (edited 12-10-2008).]

#250391 - 12/10/08 05:17 AM Re: Suggested breathing exercise
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
Thanks Dave for the specific info on the Claviola. interesting stuff. And that Andes Recorder thing: UGG! I don't think I'll ever own one of those. Didn't care for that sound at all.

#250392 - 12/10/08 05:26 AM Re: Suggested breathing exercise
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by FAEbGBD:
Thanks Dave for the specific info on the Claviola. interesting stuff. And that Andes Recorder thing: UGG! I don't think I'll ever own one of those. Didn't care for that sound at all.

No problem. Yes, the Andes Recorder-Keyboard is an acquired taste. The player can make a huge difference in how it sounds. That video is just one that I found quickly, but I'm sure there are others. If you have ever played a recorder, you will know that they are very sensitive to air pressure and if you do not have the tone (air) holes completely closed, the pitch will be atrocious. The player in the video link does make very good use of half-key technique to add pitch bend to several notes. To make the Andes Recorder sound in tune you need to apply very consistent air pressure and press (and release) keys quickly or the pitch will be all over the place.

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
LearnMyKeyboard
JazzItUp Band

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online