SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#250151 - 12/04/08 12:58 PM Re: Thinking of an amp ...
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
ok ... I measured wrong ... ...
but thnx for the info ...
t.

#250152 - 12/04/08 01:22 PM Re: Thinking of an amp ...
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Tony, It's not a stereo unit, but I've had major luck with the Carvin three channel "green monster". It's 100 watts with two separate effects loops, XLR and 1/4" jacks-12"speaker and horn. Weighs about 40 lbs total and costs about $429.00. I put major mileage on the two I have. One is an older model (no efffects-black carpet cover) which I used for 10 years 4 nights a week outside in the heat, rain, etc. Still works perfectly.Have two 12" PA cabinets which match, so i use one of them as an extension cab, sometimes.

I have a matching green cabinet for the 2nd one. I use channel 1 for guitar, channel 2 for keyboard and channel 3 for vocal mike.

I have used them separately for bass amplification...particularly good with an upright with piezo.

Never had a problem with a lack of stereo, but I never use Yamaha keyboards, and I'm told that there is where the stereo problem is.

Check these little guys out on the Carvin site. I've been using Carvin equipment since I found them in Covina, California in the early 60's.

They're compact, loud and durable as hell. It's an "all in one" as opposed to a keyboard amp.

Works for me!

R.

#250153 - 12/04/08 02:17 PM Re: Thinking of an amp ...
Gord Offline

Loc: Kelowna,British Columbia,Canad...
Hi Tony
(-Unless Carvin has changed it's spec for this amp-read the following info I submitted
to this site about 4 years ago)
I had 'the little green monster' (Carvin) for about 3 years. Great little amp-but don't
add an extra passive (non-powered) speaker. Look on their web site & you will see-there is no rating specified when you add another speaker.What Carvin does-is wire the output - so that when you add another speaker-it is placed in series. So this means your 100 watt amp now has twice the load resistance & the power now drops down to around 50 watts. Then each speaker can only get 25 watts. I tried to contact Carvin & ask them to produce a powered 'green extention speaker' no luck!

#250154 - 12/04/08 03:26 PM Re: Thinking of an amp ...
captain Russ Offline

Don't know about other's experience, but i regularly use non-powered Carvin extension and notice an appreciable increase in volume.

R.

#250155 - 12/04/08 04:53 PM Re: Thinking of an amp ...
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Anybody familiar with this? I'm thinking for use with one of the cabs I currently own ... no need for stereo ... 14 lbs !!!
https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=PA620

Or this: http://www.pssl.com/!ZIztuXoDMqKuZqJcgoCJzQ!/Behringer-PMP-518M-180W-5Ch-Powered-Mixer-WFX-FBQ-s

t.

PS ... I'll probably be all over the place on this before making a decision ...

t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 12-04-2008).]

#250156 - 12/04/08 06:00 PM Re: Thinking of an amp ...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Tony,

I've read this post a couple times now, and if you recall when we met at Donny Pesce's Dance Party he was using a pair of Barbetta Sona 32Cs, which were very effective. I believe a single Barbetta Sona 31 would be more than adequate for your needs. It has slightly less bottom end, but the mid and highs are superior to the 32C. You may want to contact DonM and ask his opinion. He has used them in the past and I believe he can point you in the right direction.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#250157 - 12/04/08 06:04 PM Re: Thinking of an amp ...
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
Tony,

I've read this post a couple times now, and if you recall when we met at Donny Pesce's Dance Party he was using a pair of Barbetta Sona 32Cs, which were very effective. I believe a single Barbetta Sona 31 would be more than adequate for your needs. It has slightly less bottom end, but the mid and highs are superior to the 32C. You may want to contact DonM and ask his opinion. He has used them in the past and I believe he can point you in the right direction.

Good Luck,

Gary

Tony as you know I just happen to have one that I may want to sell and with just 10 miles or less between where we live

#250158 - 12/05/08 05:46 AM Re: Thinking of an amp ...
Dnj Offline

#250159 - 12/05/08 06:50 AM Re: Thinking of an amp ...
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
I certainly would consider the Barbetta.
Ciao,
Jerry

#250160 - 12/05/08 07:33 AM Re: Thinking of an amp ...
captain Russ Offline

The little Berringer head and an existing cabinet is certainly more versatile than a "stand alone or all-in-one". I use a Carvin or Yamaha powered head and a variety of cabinets, depending on the job. If you got a powered stereo mixer, you'd also have the stereo situation controlled. My little 200 watt Yamaha has 8 channels, on-board effects and weights about 10 lb. You can set it up to power 4 cabinets or two cabinets and two monitors. It's a current EMC model-$349.00, I think. But, there are similar, and less expensive Berringers of similar specs.

Russ

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online