SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#250086 - 12/11/08 09:38 PM Re: .....and....opinion on a GPS Navigation System
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Thanks to you members for all your input here. I've actually been spending more time looking for a new GPS device than I am looking for a PA2X PRO. Thankfully, the GPS can be found in most stores.

I haven't had my TomTom more than a week, and it has already saved me from disaster. Last week I had a 5:30 pm start on a 90 minute job. It was 4:45 pm and in the middle of rush hour so I couldn't take my normal route. I didn't have time to look up a new route on the computer. I threw caution to the wind, set my destination on the GPS and let it take me to where I needed to go. Every time I made an unscheduled turn to avoid traffic, the GPS picked up where I was and revised it's directions. I glided in to the location with ample time to spare and as calm as could be. It feels like I have a personal trainer.

These things are incredible so much so that I'm going to return the TomTom and get a $300-$400 Garmin. They not only give you directions, they can direct you to your nearest police station or hospital, give you the phone #'s of these places, locate "points of interest" (libraries, movies, theaters, etc). I even take it out as a date on Saturday nights and spend the evening talking to the internal female voice!

Tony...I agree with you about "frivolous toys." I viewed these things as just that up to now. Once I got one, I'm not sure how I got along without it, particularly when going on a driving vacation. As I thought about it, I realize with the tremendous surge in heavy traffic, there is no more taking "alternate" routes. They're ALL backed up! Now I can go from one block to another as I need to and this thing will track me all the way. No more worrying about being late for a playing engagement due to traffic tie-ups or accidents blocking your path.

The heck with Blackberry's, laptops, Ipods, Bluetooth's, and the rest. All I need now is my cellphone and a GPS to get through the rest of my life!

Lucky

P.S. something important I learned in my researching from a web site:

"The simple fact in mapping is that Tele Atlas is not as good as NAVTEQ in North America...TomTom uses Tele Atlas maps and Garmin products use NAVTEQ maps."

#250087 - 12/11/08 10:11 PM Re: .....and....opinion on a GPS Navigation System
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Are these guys nuts? The only reason I haven't bought a GPS is because I don't know which one to buy. Look at the options on Garmin's website alone. How could it possibly get more confusing???

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134

[This message has been edited by chony (edited 12-11-2008).]

#250088 - 12/11/08 11:37 PM Re: .....and....opinion on a GPS Navigation System
Lucky2Bhere Offline

No.....we're not nuts! We simply found the "fountain of youth."

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online