SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#250046 - 12/02/08 05:04 PM Re: Can someone recommend guitar strings
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I second (or sixth!) the Elixers. My guitarist uses them, we play beach-front (high corrosion) a lot during the season, and they are the only things that last more than a few days.

If you are going to wait another few years to change them again these will last the longest...

#250047 - 12/02/08 11:27 PM Re: Can someone recommend guitar strings
Henni Offline

Loc: South Africa
"To the guy who put Nylon Strings on the Ovation Acoustic. Hows the neck. Seems to me all that lack of tension would cause the neck to bow back."

I installed D'Addario nylon strings on mine. Most probably because I normally use only extreme light gauge strings and my neck has been adjusted to have the strings as close as possible to the frets, I had no problem whatsoever. I like to play with the lightest touch possible and this mod worked very well for me.

I must just again empasize using flat wound strings only with the Zoom or similar. With anything else, the slide noises are greatly emhasized by any effects processor and this can cause quite some anoyance.

Henni

#250048 - 12/02/08 11:53 PM Re: Can someone recommend guitar strings
Diki Offline

Tried Finger Ease?

#250049 - 12/03/08 02:40 AM Re: Can someone recommend guitar strings
Henni Offline

Loc: South Africa
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Tried Finger Ease?

Absolutely no idea what this is?

Henni

#250050 - 12/03/08 03:32 AM Re: Can someone recommend guitar strings
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Henni:
Absolutely no idea what this is?

Henni

"Finger Ease" is a guitar string lubricant available in a spray can applicator.

It allows for much smoother guitar playing, letting your fingers glide without friction along the strings. Cuts down on cuts, scrapes and sore fingertips...its safe for your strings and fingerboard.

Ian

#250051 - 12/03/08 04:57 AM Re: Can someone recommend guitar strings
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Most here say that Elixirs are twice the price of others...

I cliked on one link to find out the price and saw many models between $12-$15.

I understand the significance of cost, and expecially when something costs DOUBLE the price of something comparable...but for Christ sake $15???????

I thought you were talking about tens of dollars in difference

#250052 - 12/03/08 04:58 AM Re: Can someone recommend guitar strings
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Products like Finger Ease can be great.., one benefit not mentioned yet is that it can also extend the life of your strings since it also cleans them..., and helps prevent more dirt build up. If you didn't want to spend a lot of money on one set of strings you can buy a half decent set and still extend the life of them with the product. Don't use too much of the stuff though.

Cutting down on sore fingertips isn't what I would call a benefit from this product. If you're cutting your fingers.., getting scrapes ect from your strings.. You don't need Finger Ease.., you need a new set of strings.

The product is not going to prevent sore fingertips. When playing guitar you have to build up the padding on your fingertips. Routine playing will do this.., but if your guitar playing isn't routine.., your pads may not be as strong and you'll notice some pain. The pain often isn't from sliding from chord to chord, rather the constant pressure of the strings pressed against your fingertips.

** Also I see you said you use your guitar every few months. If you do find you're having pain from extended playing (due to time between each use).., I would suggest having the "saddle" either sanded or replaced with one that has less height to it. This would drop the action slightly making it easier on your fingers. Washburns don't typically have a high action, but something to consider.

If you're playing it every few months I would strongly suggest slightly "detuning" your guitar between playing. This will extend the life of your guitar neck.., and help prevent warping. Nothing more annoying than a warped neck that results in fret buzzing.

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 12-03-2008).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#250053 - 12/03/08 05:17 AM Re: Can someone recommend guitar strings
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Tried Finger Ease?

I have...it works fine for those of us who don't play every day, or even every week...I don't keep my strings on for as long as chony, and even though I change them regularly, I still use the product.

Keeps my fingers from getting sore...heck, even my guitar thanks me.

Works real well on my bass guitar and mandolin, too....not so well on drums.

Ian

PS....It also takes the squeaky scratchy sound away that you get when you slide your fingers up and down the neck while switching from chord to chord....cool!

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 12-03-2008).]

#250054 - 12/03/08 08:15 AM Re: Can someone recommend guitar strings
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Hi Chony,

I use Elixir "Nano-Web" there coating is just as durable , but not as thick as the Poly-Web.

Here is the direct link you requested:
http://www.juststrings.com/elx-11027.html

Take care

Gary 

#250055 - 12/03/08 04:16 PM Re: Can someone recommend guitar strings
Diki Offline

If you are only going to change strings once a year or less, why worry about a set that only costs what the Elixers do?

What do you want? Cheap string that dull quickly, or more expensive ones that sound great for MUCH longer...?

There's a REASON people pay that price. They might be double the price, but they last three times as long!

Sounds like a deal to me...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online