SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#250036 - 12/01/08 07:15 PM Can someone recommend guitar strings
chony Offline

Loc: New York
I have a washburn acoustic electric but haven't changed my strings in years. Can someone link me to good priced, great sounding strings?

I'd like steel strings medium strength.

Thanks,
Chony

#250037 - 12/01/08 07:51 PM Re: Can someone recommend guitar strings
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Oh no...

I feel another p*ssing contest coming on!

Nothing gets us more worked up than arguing phosphor bronze vs. nickel

#250038 - 12/01/08 09:26 PM Re: Can someone recommend guitar strings
Henni Offline

Loc: South Africa
Hi,

If you use any type of effects processor like a Zoom, go for flat wound only!

I have an Ovation acoustic guitar and recently fitted it with nylon strings - yes, nylon strings! I forgot the name, but it was very expensive for nylon strings. Boy, am I happy with those. I will never go for anything else again.

But, these suite my style of playing which does not include a lot of strumming.

Regards,
Henni

#250039 - 12/01/08 09:55 PM Re: Can someone recommend guitar strings
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Chony,
In my store I sell every make of strings and hands down the most popular string manufacturer is Elixer. They make a set of bronze wound strings that have a coating of polymer on the wound strings which keep dirt from getting into the strings. These strings will last at least 5 times longer than anything else and they sound bright a new for months and months. The fact that you don't change strings very often, these would be a great choice. They sell for about twice the price of others, but they are worth every penny.

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
www.kayesmusicscene.com
(Retired 2021)

#250040 - 12/02/08 12:23 AM Re: Can someone recommend guitar strings
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Hey Chony,

There is only 1 kind of guitar sting !!

Elixir

They are the best value. ( period !! )

Here is a link to the best place to buy , I have used this place for years , great customer service and price !!
http://www.juststrings.com/acousticguitar.html

Take care,

Gary 

#250041 - 12/02/08 08:11 AM Re: Can someone recommend guitar strings
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Elixir's are great! The guage would depend on how hard you play. Bigger guage strings last longer and stay in tune better, but are stiffer and not ideal for lots of fast melody work.
your style of playing will be the deciding factor.

R.

#250042 - 12/02/08 08:38 AM Re: Can someone recommend guitar strings
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I'd go with the Elixirs (frankly, I don't know a damn thing about guitar strings but everyone else seems to like them (the Elixirs). Besides, they're a good value, depending on where you purchase them from - and on that issue, I'd definitely recommend uh, uh, ...what he said.) Hope this helps.

chas

#250043 - 12/02/08 10:12 AM Re: Can someone recommend guitar strings
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by George Kaye:
Chony,
In my store I sell every make of strings and hands down the most popular string manufacturer is Elixer. They make a set of bronze wound strings that have a coating of polymer on the wound strings which keep dirt from getting into the strings. These strings will last at least 5 times longer than anything else and they sound bright a new for months and months. The fact that you don't change strings very often, these would be a great choice. They sell for about twice the price of others, but they are worth every penny.

Same at our store. Elixer 10-1 followed by D'Addario EXP. But I live on the beach and uncoated strings don't do well for long.
Taylor uses them, Even Samick uses EXPs on their guitars,But Samick also uses Grover tuners on their $150 guitars, They build a great guitar for the money. In the $300 price range they are tough to beat all around.

To the guy who put Nylon Strings on the Ovation Acoustic. Hows the neck. Seems to me all that lack of tension would cause the neck to bow back.

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 12-02-2008).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#250044 - 12/02/08 10:46 AM Re: Can someone recommend guitar strings
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
As stated the Elixer strings are quite nice. Feel good, sound great, and as George stated the coating increases the life of the set..., but they are about twice what the average set of strings will run you.

I would also take into consideration how much playing you're doing with your guitar. Is it just for home play, playing out, recording, ect.

I can't even begin to count the number of strings I've changed over the years, but I will say this though..., one VERY popular brand is the GHS Boomers. They're decent, and pretty darn cheap... Even going into stores today looking at guitars I hear countless people coming in asking for Boomers.

The other brand such as Elixer are also big sellers, but those Boomers fly off the shelves pretty quick too.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#250045 - 12/02/08 02:35 PM Re: Can someone recommend guitar strings
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Thank you everyone. To be perfectly clear, I don't know anything about strings, so I need someone to link me DIRECTLY to a webpage that sells them.

I use my guitar very periodically - like every few months, and when I do, I generally use it for chords and backup - not for lead. I would describe my guitar playing abilities as intermediate.

I would like to get the Elixir strings based on the advice posted here, but there are so many different kinds. (PolyWeb, NanoWeb / Bronze, Nickel / and different strengths).

What would you recommend?

Thanks, Chony

[This message has been edited by chony (edited 12-02-2008).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online