SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#249803 - 11/30/08 07:30 AM Re: Active Speaker Recommendations
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
Glenn,

It should ultimately depend on what your ears, wallet and back says.

I can recommend hundreds of options, and so can everyone else. But you need to be happy with the sound, the flexibility, and of course the costs.

I've had customers buy Behringer and Samson Active speakers and say they are the best, I've also had people say they sound like garbage cans.

When money is no object, your choices are tend to narrow down, like FBT, RCF, DBTechnologies, Mackie, JBL, Bose, and so on.

When you are trying to get with in a budget, that's when certain compromises start to happen.

You'll get a better sound with setting up a studio monitors with a sub, that's where you'll get the superior fidelity.

But if you are performing for more that 4 people you are going to need something with more throw to accomplish this.

That's when you move into a more of a powered "pa" speaker.

Do you want to create a stereo image, then you can look at models that come with 2 speakers or a set like this http://www.fbtusa.net/a1000_a900-a500-a400-a100.html

Like I said before, if you want to give me a call or email I can give you my opinions, you don't have to buy from me, I like helping, so you don;t have to feel bad if you don't buy. Most people will tell you I'm not a hi-pressure at all

Frank

------------------
www.AudioworksCT.com

#249804 - 11/30/08 08:29 AM Re: Active Speaker Recommendations
JCkeeys Offline

Loc: St. James,New York,USA
Often overlooked .... Yorkville!! The new Elite e10p 10" powered speakers (350watts! Not inexpensive but worth the money! They will last forever ... 2 year unconditional Warranty. I have Two along with Two LS200p powered subs. I have compared with the FBT Maxx2 and the e10p's have a cleaner more "True" sound, if that makes sense. But that's my ears!! I think everyone hear has given you good advice now go out and try all of them, if possible, and Good Luck!!

#249805 - 11/30/08 08:51 AM Re: Active Speaker Recommendations
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Glenn Ive been using the Tapco (mackie)Thump 15a's...lightweight, 15" woofer, 4 band EQ & a real nice sound...you back will love you I love these things!
Best bang for the buck anywhere.
http://www.tapcoworld.com/products/thump15a/index.html

For the money these guys pack a punch indeed.
However if you want a nice portable non active I would suggest the Yamaha PAS300 or PAS500. Amazing low end for small drivers.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#249806 - 11/30/08 10:44 AM Re: Active Speaker Recommendations
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Frank... As you know, there are more similarities between the SD1 and SD5 than there are differences. Big advantage of the SD1, which I worked with for ~ 4 years, is the 76 keys. Primary advantages of the SD5, which I've been working with for the last 8 months - some newer styles, voices, and onboard speakers. Both great boards, IMO.

Gary... I've been using a single Sona 32C for all my smaller venues, and yes, it sounds very good. But even that 37 lbs will be too much for me after upcoming surgery, so the doc tells me... for ~ 6 months, but that will pass.

I have an old JBL Eon10 I'll probably use.
Sounds OK, but lacks that crisp clarity (upper end) that I'll miss.

Glenn

[This message has been edited by GlennT (edited 11-30-2008).]

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online