SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#249559 - 11/27/08 05:15 PM L1 has arrived--Classic version???
miden Offline

Loc: The World
The L1 system, I purchased has finally arrived, but I think the seller has mislead me.

According to the Bose forums site, the L1 mk1 has orange coloured labels on the rear and on the speaker column.. Mine is has no coloured labels at all, not even the blue one arpund the bass output, at all.

Which makes me think this is what Bose call the "Classic" model, or in other words the first one released by Bose in 2003. The literature enclosed is copryrighted 2004, so I suspect this system is in fact 4 years old, and in whihc case I reckon I may ahve paid too much??

The seller positively I.D.'d the system as being the current L1 Mk I as listed on the Oz Bose website.

Before I go through the hassle of arranging a CC refund/withdrawal, I just wanted to ask if there is much difference between the "Classic" and the Mk 1?

I have set it up and it does sound really good, but I am worried I may have been slightly ripped off?

Any ideas?

Thanks
Dennis

#249560 - 11/27/08 05:40 PM Re: L1 has arrived--Classic version???
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I'm not sure about this one. You may wish to contact Bose, provide them with the serial number and they can tell you how old the system is and when it was manufacturered and sold. There are no orange labels on the back of my tower

Also, plug it in and let us know how it sounds--you may want to keep it.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#249561 - 11/27/08 06:21 PM Re: L1 has arrived--Classic version???
miden Offline

Good idea Gary.. I have set them up and they sound good... its more the principle of it.. The seller, TWICE said it was the L1 Mk1 (not the earlier PAS system) and to find that it WAS the PAS systme after all was annoying.. Especially as the older system was worth less.. Anyway I will contact Bose now and see what they say..
Thanks
Dennis

#249562 - 11/27/08 07:01 PM Re: L1 has arrived--Classic version???
miden Offline

I have managed to get to the bottom of the confusion.

Apparently there was an "intermediate" model released in the USA, prior to the MK II.

They removed some of the AMP inputs, and placed orange labeling on some parts.

But this model was ONLY released in the USA, the rest of the world only ever saw the MK1 and the MKII. So that clears that up.

The Bose tech I spoke with also said the price iI paid which included the extra sub was very good as well.

The unit is in very good condition, and the seller said her dad only used it maybe once or twice a month. Some months not at all, so there should be some life in it!!

Now onto sound.

This things sounds brilliant, I do not notice any difference as far as stereo field goes, and the sound is pure at all levels.

Gary, you were 100% spot-on in recommending to check the gain staging, make s a big difference!!.

I've got to say even with just the one sub it kicks pretty good. Although thats just in teh studio, I imagine at a gig I would need the 2..

All I have is the G70 going into one channel on teh L1, and the mic output going to the other,, NO MIXER!!! Yay...and it sounds pure.

On first blush, the BEST bit of audio gear I have bought... Ever!

Big, Big thanks to all those who recommended it and supported my decision to take the plunge.. Good call guys!!!

Dennis

#249564 - 11/27/08 08:30 PM Re: L1 has arrived--Classic version???
miden Offline

Thanks Brian,
And also for you thoughts and tips on the other thread I had started o this, much appreciated.

Dennis

#249565 - 11/28/08 03:27 AM Re: L1 has arrived--Classic version???
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Dennis

I am happy you finally have the set up you wanted. Since it the same as mine, I naturally think you now have the best. BTW I have always felt rather bad about my G70 and you, eventhough it was a misunderstanding. I don't have to anymore.

#249566 - 11/28/08 08:15 AM Re: L1 has arrived--Classic version???
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Dennis,

I believe that you'll find a single sub will more than suffice in most instances. You'll be amazed how much bottom end that single sub provides.

Welcome to the world of Bose,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#249567 - 11/28/08 11:33 AM Re: L1 has arrived--Classic version???
miden Offline

Thanks to all..

Yes the more I listen to this system the happier I become. It is SO quick and easy to set up, and believe it or not I am actually hearing some parts of my songs that were not clear on my previous PA system, and that was using EV SX300's !!

You guys were spot on with the clarity of sound produced by the L1..stunning... I have tried hard, but I find it almost impossible to induce feedback under any of my normal operating conditions.

It has even opened up the chance of playing a couple more venues here, that with my traditional PA setup, I could not have physically done.

I will see how it goes over the next couple of months to see whether or not I need the tone match module. At the moment I am just using the remote control to control overall sound, no mixer at all... So it really does streamline the performance from a setup POV.

And Gary you are so right, just the one sub box really kicks! Surprisingly so.

Dennis

#249569 - 11/28/08 06:30 PM Re: L1 has arrived--Classic version???
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia

*Thumbs up*

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online