Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#249365 - 12/02/08 11:22 AM Re: Again with the Tyros 3
mr9000 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by leeboy:
MusiCo,
I especially like french horns.I could care less if they took all the synth sounds out.
I also care about the keybed feel as 61 is not enogh for me and because of Yamaha's stubbord ness!
Lee

--
And..i couldn't careless if they took out the french horns!thank the good heavens you don't work for the 'stubborn' yamz!

[This message has been edited by mr9000 (edited 12-02-2008).]

#249366 - 12/02/08 03:42 PM Re: Again with the Tyros 3
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
mr9000,
Excuse me...I was discussing what sounds are and are not important to me...that's allowed here...last I checked.

If your going to quote me, at least don't leave out the part where I said'That might be an exagaration'

Like a politician?

Lee

#249367 - 12/02/08 11:50 PM Re: Again with the Tyros 3
MusiCo Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Quote:
MusiCo,
Well, mostly orchestrial sounds. And all Piano types. Strings are important to me, especially solo violin, cello. ........

My guess would be you're gonna stick with the PA2, then ! Ensemble sounds I think KORG has the far more impressive multi-layered sounds, whereas Yamaha has the more crisp and thinner orchestrals. Great for accompaniment, but too thin for lead.

About this 61 vs 76 keys, out of curiousity : what is it you do to use acoustic instruments in a range that goes beyond the 61-key range in the same song.
Is you split point far right or using multiple splitpoints? I'm happy with the octave up and down buttons and find them to do the job for me, but then again I don't use the arranger for piano work.

The "stubberness" of Yamaha is partially understandable : If given the choice, most of their clients (prospects) will prefer the 61-keys. The studio-, synth- and piano players will be the ones wanting more keys, they are more likely to already have a 76 or 88 key they can use as controller keyboard. The development costs and separate production lines needed for an extra 76 key are immens, both as internal components and exterior need changes.
This would put the T3 in even a higher pricerange, lifting it completely out of the "arranger keyboard" market.
Same happened with the psr9000 : they made that in a 76 keys after lots of people the world over complained about the 61 key limit. when it was there, almost none of the former complainers bought it.
It wasn't a succes and probably they made a loss on that 76 model.
Although I think it had more to do with the moment of the productrelease: at the end of the lifecycle of the PSR9000 model, when most of us either already had a 61-key 9000 or was waiting for the T1 to show up.

I wonder how many of you are now NOT buying the T3 only because of the 61-key limit, and can state they surely would have payed the extra $800,- it if there was a 76 key model with maybe some fancy 'pro-features' added.

#249368 - 12/03/08 09:38 AM Re: Again with the Tyros 3
leeboy Offline

MusiCo,
Well, the problem with 61 for me is chord area not so much melody. But if you move the split to the right enough for nice area for chords then it's too small for some leads. And vice versa.

The answer is in the difference in cost between a Motif XS6 vs a XS7...how much $$$ only $700. And in Korg a 61 vs 73 is only $400 difference.

Yes, I would pay $400 - 700 more for 76 T3.

It is interesting that a 61 Motif XS6 is $2,199 and a 61 T3 is $3,899. $1,700 More!! Apples and Oranges for sure, but???

So, the next time a gigging PRO on stage with one of the big groups using a Motif SX (or other synth in that range) says...T3...oh that's a toy (home) keyboard...you can say back...it costs at least $1,700 more than yours, it's no toy! :-)
lee

Lee

#249369 - 12/03/08 10:25 AM Re: Again with the Tyros 3
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Welcome Chris.......

Thank you for your very HONEST review.....you just broke many Yamaha Tyros HYPED UP Hearts here but at least you said it like it is for YOUR Needs. Don't be a lurker we appreciate your involvement. BTW did you actually test drive the tyros 3 before purchase?

Happy Thanks Giving!

Didn't break mine. I suggest he return it and find something he wont be disappointed in. That is far too much money to throw down on a keyboard that doesn't have the basic fundamentals one expects.

Id did it with the PA2x...took my $300 beating and moved on. There isn't s single keyboard for everyone.

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 12-03-2008).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#249370 - 12/03/08 12:24 PM Re: Again with the Tyros 3
mr9000 Offline

I could care less if they took all the synth sounds out. Well, maybe that's an exageration.
--------------------------------------------

Alright..so what exactly is the message you are conveying then?..that your are 50/50 in favor of loving or leaving synth voices.Doesn't make sense.The above statement is pointless with no direction,no?

Of course you are allowed to say whatever you think!!but too this..politician..can voice on the voiced.As you may know now,i absolutly love synth voices is all.

#249371 - 12/03/08 03:52 PM Re: Again with the Tyros 3
leeboy Offline

Simple,

I said I didn't care if they took all the synth voices out or not, then simple said maybe that's an exageration...It means maybe I exaherated (means making it a bigger deal than it was!)when I said I didn't care about synth sounds. ( I use them some)

It was not a useless statement.

That's all...no big deal.

Lee

#249372 - 12/03/08 06:19 PM Re: Again with the Tyros 3
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Quote:
MusiCo,
Well, the problem with 61 for me is chord area not so much melody. But if you move the split to the right enough for nice area for chords then it's too small for some leads. And vice versa.

And not to mention also, most 76 note keyboards have E as the bottom note.. Excellent when doing left hand bass songs...(LOL, although not when you need drop tuning!!! )

Dennis

#249373 - 02/07/09 11:13 AM Re: Again with the Tyros 3
rsm2000e Offline

Loc: USA
I'm hopeful that Yami will continue to work on the piano voicing on the T3 and possibly release some additional "premium" piano voices for purchase by the Tyros 3 owner body. I like the 'concert grand' sound, but as many have commented, it's a bit thin compared to the clavinovas and other high-end digi-pianos.

Obviously Yamaha was under pressure to differentiate the AW Tyros 3 from it's "higher end" "all-piano" models.

Others here have commented that the technology exists, if they had ramped up the on-board memory and gone with more of a truly sampled piano voice (for each and every of the 88 keys) they could have really done something.

I know they have to draw lines in the sand for product cost, and as Steve D reminded me, no single user will be totally thrilled with "every" voicing of every instrument on any A/W TOTL board.

Next issue: Your speakers and your EQ/Compression settings are critical. The board will only sound as good as the final output device and signal settings.

Many have written about changing away from default compression and/or EQ. I shall be playing with those as well.

As each day goes by, I enjoy my T3 more and more, much as others have written. You need to get acclimated to the different keybed feel as compared with the PSR S900.

Kingfrog rightly says the S900 is selling like wildfire and it's an easier sale, from a pure pricepoint perspective, much like Chevy sells lots more Malibus than Corvettes.

The on/off switch could be placed better, or in lieu of that, use a rocker switch instead of the plunger style.

I am enjoying quite a load of new voicings on the Tyros 3 that the S900 doesn't have, most especially the wonderful organ sounds.

Vocal harmonizer is a non-feature to me, my voice is just plain bad now that I'm in my golden years. Heck, it happened to Frank Sinatra, who am I to bellyache about it?

The #1 most enjoyable feature of the T3 is the ability to load up a MIDI tune on your USB stick, and play lead or what ever and record ALL of that to your built-in hard drive on the Tyros 3.

That's just unbelievably SIMPLE comparted to trying to synch up with your PC and fighting the inevitable LATENCY issues.

Plus, you're recording in real stereo, WAV file, not merely MIDI files, which are a LOT nicer to send around to your friends or relatives, as the MIDIS tend to sound god-awful on most folks PC's with low-end audio cards 'standard'.

With the voicing power of the T3, you want to show off just how great those instruments sound, and when you record to your onboard hard drive, it could hardly be easier, JMO.

I have spend innumerable hours fighting with my dual-xeon workstation only to get mediocre recording results, even using Steinberg's CUBASE AI. That's no can of corn if you're new to PC music production.

The Tyros 3 is just ideal. You record a track, hit the stop button, the entire song is rewound to the BEGINNING instantly. You can undo mistakes with a single button press, well, Tyros 3 owners know what I'm yakking about.

Hats off to Yamaha, great product.

[This message has been edited by rsm2000e (edited 02-13-2009).]

#249374 - 02/07/09 11:18 AM Re: Again with the Tyros 3
Dnj Offline

So you bought this unit just by demos alone ....or did you actually go try it in person thru your sound system & then make a decision? Did your dealer offer a return time period also?

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online