SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#249297 - 11/25/08 08:33 PM Greatest Hammond Solos Can You Name Them all?......
Dnj Offline

#249298 - 11/26/08 03:17 AM Re: Greatest Hammond Solos Can You Name Them all?......
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Great find Donny, thanks for sharing

#249299 - 11/26/08 05:12 AM Re: Greatest Hammond Solos Can You Name Them all?......
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Donny, When I read the title of your post Keith Emerson immediately came to mind. He was the inspiration that kept me involved in piano and organ at age 17 when I was at the point where I could have really cared less about playing music. At that time he made taking piano lessons a cool thing I'd seen him a number of times in concert he was phenomenal. At time I remember having a Farfisa portable organ. When I played for friends I use to imitate Keith by stabbing the keys with a butter knife then picking up and shaking the Farfisa, the reverb unit use to thrash about and make a lot of noise. All the kids loved the effect. Ah, my mis-spent youth, if I only knew then............

Here's Keith in action http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xggFzkyd288

#249300 - 11/26/08 06:58 AM Re: Greatest Hammond Solos Can You Name Them all?......
Dnj Offline

Steve .....Ahhhhh Yes we all have our our PRE Arranger Hammond memories some how it never gets old! It's a timeless sound that just makes you happy deep inside when you hear it. What I love is that every player does it & sounds different as they utilize all the features. VIVA HAMMOND !

#249301 - 11/26/08 08:43 AM Re: Greatest Hammond Solos Can You Name Them all?......
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
When you listen to those clips the organ setups sound very similar - except for Jimmy Smith. His registration and Leslie are in such control. I think he was the true master mentor.

#249302 - 11/26/08 09:47 AM Re: Greatest Hammond Solos Can You Name Them all?......
Dnj Offline

I hear you Cass.......The Hammond organ was a BIG part of our musical roots as a youth growing up in the 50's/60's especially if you were a keyboard player Jazz/Rock, or Gospel etc.... I think that the memories never leave us deep inside....although today's youth seem to not even know it exists....sad

#249303 - 11/26/08 10:15 AM Re: Greatest Hammond Solos Can You Name Them all?......
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Stephenm52:
Donny, When I read the title of your post Keith Emerson immediately came to mind. He was the inspiration that kept me involved in piano and organ at age 17 when I was at the point where I could have really cared less about playing music. At that time he made taking piano lessons a cool thing I'd seen him a number of times in concert he was phenomenal. At time I remember having a Farfisa portable organ. When I played for friends I use to imitate Keith by stabbing the keys with a butter knife then picking up and shaking the Farfisa, the reverb unit use to thrash about and make a lot of noise. All the kids loved the effect. Ah, my mis-spent youth, if I only knew then............

Here's Keith in action http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xggFzkyd288

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa5aobSoBYw&feature=related

Yea & Paul Shaffer is Drooling in the background hehehhe

#249304 - 11/26/08 10:23 AM Re: Greatest Hammond Solos Can You Name Them all?......
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Greg Rollie was my hero........taste full never overbearing,never a circus act.

Jon Lord #2 Raw...exclaimation.

Emerson was a tad to self absorbed in technique and keyboard calesthetics and circus fare. I could never hear "between" the notes.

Sort of like a speed metal guitarist vs SRV. all technique no emotion.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#249305 - 11/26/08 10:31 AM Re: Greatest Hammond Solos Can You Name Them all?......
Dnj Offline

I was always one for a Player with Great DYNAMICS & TECHNIQUE like TONY MONACO & my childhood hero MARK STEIN (Vanilla Fudge)& FELIX CAVALIERI (Young Rascles)

And how can you forget ETHEL SMITH?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA9qlWyk-7Q

#249306 - 11/26/08 10:43 AM Re: Greatest Hammond Solos Can You Name Them all?......
Anonymous
Unregistered

Anybody remember Lee Michaels, 1960-70's west coast guy who played B3 kicking bass with just a drummer? He later had a hit on "Do You Know What I Mean", but his early B3 and vocal work was soulful in a big way.

#249307 - 11/26/08 10:47 AM Re: Greatest Hammond Solos Can You Name Them all?......
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Oh yea, baby... great stuff!

Here's one of my all time favorites for screamin' blues... Lee Michaels and Stormy Monday:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7PpXSC1NN4&feature=related

#249308 - 11/26/08 10:48 AM Re: Greatest Hammond Solos Can You Name Them all?......
Stephenm52 Offline

Yes, I remember Lee Michaels:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7PpXSC1NN4

Glenn looks like I was posting the same you tube link while you were.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 11-26-2008).]

#249309 - 11/26/08 01:09 PM Re: Greatest Hammond Solos Can You Name Them all?......
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Donny, Paul is an irritating little guy, but I'm always amaised that you indicate your belief that he really isn't a player.

Site reading a chart like the Emmerson one is no small feat. I believe he has the chops to hold his own with the best.

I have met and like Tony and respect him for carrying on a asignificant tradition, but he falls a little short of my dear friend Winston Walls, who died last year, and more than a few others, in my opinion. Emmerson, in my opinion, was a little show-off, a little shy of real in-depth talent. He was no Jimmy Smith.

But that's just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions...

Be well, and enjoy whatever kind of music and whichever players you're into.

Russ

#249310 - 11/26/08 01:44 PM Re: Greatest Hammond Solos Can You Name Them all?......
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
Donny, Paul is an irritating little guy, but I'm always amaised that you indicate your belief that he really isn't a player.

Russ

Russ I know he can play but just not at the top of my list thats all...as you say we all have our opinions...I'll agree with you that Emerson arrangements can be daunting but all in all the late night band pulled it off....In fact a good friend of mine son is in the Max Weinberg 7 (late night w/Conan O'Brien band) these guys have to be good to back up all the different entertainment that appears on the show nightly for sure.

Russ may I wish you & yours a very Happy Holiday also!

#249311 - 11/26/08 01:55 PM Re: Greatest Hammond Solos Can You Name Them all?......
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Donny, thanks for mentioneing my ATF, Felix; and Tee, I loved Lee Michaels too. Still no mention tho of a real sleeper, Steve Winwood - nothing fancy but good nonetheless.

And what about Teegarden & VanWinkle - B3 and drums from the same era.

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 11-26-2008).]

#249312 - 11/26/08 02:01 PM Re: Greatest Hammond Solos Can You Name Them all?......
captain Russ Offline

Donny, I think the Conan band deserves more recognition. You're right-they're a great bunch of players. They're certainly good unough to deserve the job, but I'd hate to see Kevin Eubanks lose the Leno job when Conan takes over. On the other hand, I believe the Conan band deserves to be rewarded for their part in Conan's success.

And I'm sure Kevin will be fine. Hopefully, Jay will take him with him when he decides what to do next.If not, the guy was putting out Grammy nominated instrumental albums before the Leno job, so he'll be fine.

It's always nice to see great players get some recognition.

Be well, and have a great holiday.

R.

#249313 - 11/26/08 02:10 PM Re: Greatest Hammond Solos Can You Name Them all?......
Dnj Offline

Cass as you know there were so many back then, Jon Lord,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YJIgyJFIo0&feature=related

Billy Preston, to name a few...B3 baby was the thing to play for sure!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlxxmNP2MKw&feature=related

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 11-26-2008).]

#249314 - 11/26/08 02:13 PM Re: Greatest Hammond Solos Can You Name Them all?......
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
One thing I'll say about posts like these. It continues to remind us of the power and glory of the mighty 'B3'. I don't think any other keyboard has had such an enduring impact on jazz, rock, and gospel (piano excluded, of course). Just the raw emotion that's there for those with the talent and skill to extract it, is astounding. Jimmy was the master in terms of innovation. He was the first to take jazz/funk organ in that direction and remains the best example of that form (Tony M., Joey D., Don Patterson, Groove Holmes, Jimmy McGriff, Jack McDuff, Lonnie Smith, etc.). Balls-to-the-wall Rock Organ.....a whole different bunch of guys, with their own strengths and high level of excitement. I love both. I just really, really, really, love the instrument.

MiniMoogs, DX7's, Clavinets, C80's, Prophets, Rhodes, Chromas........all made their mark, however briefly, but the sound of the mighty Hammond will always be 'king of the hill'.

Just my completely unbiased opinion, of course.

chas

#249315 - 11/26/08 02:38 PM Re: Greatest Hammond Solos Can You Name Them all?......
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know he's not fashionable, but listen to this without prejudice:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5KdK_qi7a8

#249316 - 11/26/08 02:57 PM Re: Greatest Hammond Solos Can You Name Them all?......
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Seamaster:
I know he's not fashionable, but listen to this without prejudice:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5KdK_qi7a8

No prejudice here, but I noticed in the comments that YOU proclaimed his recording of Summertime superior to anything Jimmy Smith had ever recorded. Hmmmmmm. Well, I guess there are some out there that think Jerry Lee Lewis is better than Oscar Peterson, too. Whatever turns you on.

chas

#249317 - 11/26/08 07:35 PM Re: Greatest Hammond Solos Can You Name Them all?......
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by TeeRoget':
Anybody remember Lee Michaels, 1960-70's west coast guy who played B3 kicking bass with just a drummer? He later had a hit on "Do You Know What I Mean", but his early B3 and vocal work was soulful in a big way.

Volume Pedal Genius!!! If you know what I mean
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#249318 - 11/26/08 08:37 PM Re: Greatest Hammond Solos Can You Name Them all?......
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Jerry Corbetta "Green Eyed Lady".

Tom

#249319 - 11/27/08 05:00 AM Re: Greatest Hammond Solos Can You Name Them all?......
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I love Keith Emerson's style of play. Keith and Rick Wakeman, these are the guys that most me inspired to play keys in the first place.

You can have these debates through the ages, but there is no real way to quantify who was the best. I respect all of the guys mentioned here, but we see things differently. Jimmy Smith was a master, but mainly I see him as a master in the blues / jazz and r and b genres. Could he have mastered the stuff Emerson wrote and played ? maybe .. That's how I measure it.. for me.. I'll never know the answer, nor will anyone else, and in retrospect, it probably wouldn't have mattered to him anyway, since he did "his thing".

I think Emerson played with a ton of feeling.. it's all in the interpretation. You have to understand, I've always been a guy who eschewed the top 40 type stuff and what the very commercial record companies tell me is the best music. I have always gravitated toward more experimental stuff, for as long as I can remember anyway. It sort of awakens a passion in me and challenges me to understand and interpret what is going on inside of the composer's mind.

Emerson's willingness to experiment and go in different directions drove rock music to places that I hadn't seen before. Was some of it over the top ? Definitely, but it also made more than a few of the guys in my generation want to play keys, at a time when the guitar had been the "sexy" instrument.

With Emerson, Wakeman, Jon Lord, etc.. suddenly, it was cool to be a kb player.
Still, my favorite kb player of all time Rick Wright, may have been a notch or two less technically talented ( by his own admission ) but in my own mind was certainly equal to or beyond when it came to driving in new and experimental directions. Rick has grown on me over the years more than I would have ever imagined. I can listen to Floyd without Roger, or Roger's interpretation without the rest of the band, and I love the original incarnation as well, with Syd, before David Gilmour, and it doesn't matter that much to me, except when Rick's parts aren't there.

It's all probably a generational thing and where we come from musically and physcially as well. My opinions won't change no matter what anyone else has to say about it, and neither should anyone elses.

Cheers

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 11-27-2008).]

#249320 - 11/27/08 05:10 AM Re: Greatest Hammond Solos Can You Name Them all?......
Stephenm52 Offline

Aj, great post!!

#249321 - 11/27/08 10:28 AM Re: Greatest Hammond Solos Can You Name Them all?......
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
No prejudice here, but I noticed in the comments that YOU proclaimed his recording of Summertime superior to anything Jimmy Smith had ever recorded. Hmmmmmm. Well, I guess there are some out there that think Jerry Lee Lewis is better than Oscar Peterson, too. Whatever turns you on.

chas

Chas...we are on the same page here.....

#249322 - 11/28/08 11:29 AM Re: Greatest Hammond Solos Can You Name Them all?......
captain Russ Offline

Tom-Green Eyed Lady is a killer tune. Believe it or not, I still play it every chance I get
when I'm playing a B-3 or C-1 with a Leslie.

Often, it's the last song of the evening. This works if the job is the one I most often play with the B-3-a quiet Saturday 2 hour gig at a country club. Those who know what it is smile a lot. I leave really fast and avoid those with really confused looks on their faces. On guitar, the comperable song is the Edgar Winters tune from the Frankenstien album. It still ROCKS!

R.

#249323 - 11/28/08 12:11 PM Re: Greatest Hammond Solos Can You Name Them all?......
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Matthew Fisher/Procol Harum..."A Whiter Shade of Pale"...probably the most recognized Hammond solo/intro of all time.

Ian

#249324 - 11/28/08 01:40 PM Re: Greatest Hammond Solos Can You Name Them all?......
cgiles Offline

Funkiest 6-second organ solo........Sly Stone - Dance to the music.

"Would you like to hear my organ.... I said, Ride, Sally, Ride".

chas

PS: Take that, Klaus W.

[This message has been edited by cgiles (edited 11-28-2008).]

#249325 - 11/28/08 01:55 PM Re: Greatest Hammond Solos Can You Name Them all?......
Dnj Offline

#249326 - 11/28/08 02:01 PM Re: Greatest Hammond Solos Can You Name Them all?......
Dnj Offline

Lets not forget GREGG ROLIE who played that fantastic Famous Hammond Solo in Santana's Band on "Evil Ways"

And believe it or not he's still performing with his own band on stage Live...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIzrhoGoOxk

#249327 - 11/28/08 02:05 PM Re: Greatest Hammond Solos Can You Name Them all?......
ianmcnll Offline

Chas,

Slightly off thread, but on this last Yamaha tour, I finally got to play a Nord C-1.

One of the best clones I've ever played...absolutely spot on...Leslie sim is easily one of the very best...it smokes the Roland VK-8, and easily ranks with the Hammond XK-3c, which I also got to try.

Love the C-1's action...greased lightning!

Well made instrument as well....AND very light and easy to manage.

Ian

#249328 - 11/28/08 02:51 PM Re: Greatest Hammond Solos Can You Name Them all?......
cgiles Offline

Glad you had a chance to try it, Ian. I think it's the biggest 'sleeper' on the keyboard scene. From everything I hear, the XK-C3 is a great board as well, but at 33 lbs. and two manuals of solid organ keybed feel, it's enough to offset the (admitted) drawbar advantage of the XK-C3.

Hey, is it starting to get cold yet up there in no-man's-land? Playing keys in mittens has got to be kind of tough .

BTW, glad your health seems to have improved to the point where you're back to your old spunky self. Of course you realize that now you won't be getting any mercy passes as you enter the latest fray .

chas

#249329 - 11/28/08 02:54 PM Re: Greatest Hammond Solos Can You Name Them all?......
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Lets not forget GREGG ROLIE who played that fantastic Famous Hammond Solo in Santana's Band on "Evil Ways"

And what about the organ work on 'Fly like an Eagle'. Good stuff. Who was that?

chas

#249330 - 11/28/08 04:01 PM Re: Greatest Hammond Solos Can You Name Them all?......
ianmcnll Offline

Chas...it was as cold as a mother-in-law's kiss a week ago, but it's shot right up to 51 degrees Farenheit...took the mittens off...wow...hard not to play demolished chords with them on...

The C-1 was a great play...they had it plugged into a Yamaha Stagepas 500 so it was in stereo which is how the Leslie sim really is at it's best....I also got to play a Nord Stage 73 which was also really nice, and had a lovely B-3 sound...the Rhodes piano patches were awesome as well....if only they had extended the key range to include the low E...much needed for left hand bass.

I was very impressed at the build quality of both the C-1 and the Stage 73.

I also got to play a Roland GW-8 for quite some time...but that's another story.

Yep...I'm feeling pretty good...even got back to my martial arts...but in a less aggressive way...thanks for your interest.

BTW...The Steve Miller band did "Fly Like An Eagle"....great organ solo by Joachim Young, who was a special guest on the album....he was also an awesome piano player. Like many geniuses, Joachim had an incredibly self destructive nature and finally succeeded in leaving us in 1989.

Ian

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online