SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#249327 - 11/28/08 02:05 PM Re: Greatest Hammond Solos Can You Name Them all?......
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Chas,

Slightly off thread, but on this last Yamaha tour, I finally got to play a Nord C-1.

One of the best clones I've ever played...absolutely spot on...Leslie sim is easily one of the very best...it smokes the Roland VK-8, and easily ranks with the Hammond XK-3c, which I also got to try.

Love the C-1's action...greased lightning!

Well made instrument as well....AND very light and easy to manage.

Ian

#249328 - 11/28/08 02:51 PM Re: Greatest Hammond Solos Can You Name Them all?......
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Glad you had a chance to try it, Ian. I think it's the biggest 'sleeper' on the keyboard scene. From everything I hear, the XK-C3 is a great board as well, but at 33 lbs. and two manuals of solid organ keybed feel, it's enough to offset the (admitted) drawbar advantage of the XK-C3.

Hey, is it starting to get cold yet up there in no-man's-land? Playing keys in mittens has got to be kind of tough .

BTW, glad your health seems to have improved to the point where you're back to your old spunky self. Of course you realize that now you won't be getting any mercy passes as you enter the latest fray .

chas

#249329 - 11/28/08 02:54 PM Re: Greatest Hammond Solos Can You Name Them all?......
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Lets not forget GREGG ROLIE who played that fantastic Famous Hammond Solo in Santana's Band on "Evil Ways"

And what about the organ work on 'Fly like an Eagle'. Good stuff. Who was that?

chas

#249330 - 11/28/08 04:01 PM Re: Greatest Hammond Solos Can You Name Them all?......
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Chas...it was as cold as a mother-in-law's kiss a week ago, but it's shot right up to 51 degrees Farenheit...took the mittens off...wow...hard not to play demolished chords with them on...

The C-1 was a great play...they had it plugged into a Yamaha Stagepas 500 so it was in stereo which is how the Leslie sim really is at it's best....I also got to play a Nord Stage 73 which was also really nice, and had a lovely B-3 sound...the Rhodes piano patches were awesome as well....if only they had extended the key range to include the low E...much needed for left hand bass.

I was very impressed at the build quality of both the C-1 and the Stage 73.

I also got to play a Roland GW-8 for quite some time...but that's another story.

Yep...I'm feeling pretty good...even got back to my martial arts...but in a less aggressive way...thanks for your interest.

BTW...The Steve Miller band did "Fly Like An Eagle"....great organ solo by Joachim Young, who was a special guest on the album....he was also an awesome piano player. Like many geniuses, Joachim had an incredibly self destructive nature and finally succeeded in leaving us in 1989.

Ian

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online