SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#249317 - 11/26/08 07:35 PM Re: Greatest Hammond Solos Can You Name Them all?......
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by TeeRoget':
Anybody remember Lee Michaels, 1960-70's west coast guy who played B3 kicking bass with just a drummer? He later had a hit on "Do You Know What I Mean", but his early B3 and vocal work was soulful in a big way.

Volume Pedal Genius!!! If you know what I mean
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#249318 - 11/26/08 08:37 PM Re: Greatest Hammond Solos Can You Name Them all?......
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Jerry Corbetta "Green Eyed Lady".

Tom

#249319 - 11/27/08 05:00 AM Re: Greatest Hammond Solos Can You Name Them all?......
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I love Keith Emerson's style of play. Keith and Rick Wakeman, these are the guys that most me inspired to play keys in the first place.

You can have these debates through the ages, but there is no real way to quantify who was the best. I respect all of the guys mentioned here, but we see things differently. Jimmy Smith was a master, but mainly I see him as a master in the blues / jazz and r and b genres. Could he have mastered the stuff Emerson wrote and played ? maybe .. That's how I measure it.. for me.. I'll never know the answer, nor will anyone else, and in retrospect, it probably wouldn't have mattered to him anyway, since he did "his thing".

I think Emerson played with a ton of feeling.. it's all in the interpretation. You have to understand, I've always been a guy who eschewed the top 40 type stuff and what the very commercial record companies tell me is the best music. I have always gravitated toward more experimental stuff, for as long as I can remember anyway. It sort of awakens a passion in me and challenges me to understand and interpret what is going on inside of the composer's mind.

Emerson's willingness to experiment and go in different directions drove rock music to places that I hadn't seen before. Was some of it over the top ? Definitely, but it also made more than a few of the guys in my generation want to play keys, at a time when the guitar had been the "sexy" instrument.

With Emerson, Wakeman, Jon Lord, etc.. suddenly, it was cool to be a kb player.
Still, my favorite kb player of all time Rick Wright, may have been a notch or two less technically talented ( by his own admission ) but in my own mind was certainly equal to or beyond when it came to driving in new and experimental directions. Rick has grown on me over the years more than I would have ever imagined. I can listen to Floyd without Roger, or Roger's interpretation without the rest of the band, and I love the original incarnation as well, with Syd, before David Gilmour, and it doesn't matter that much to me, except when Rick's parts aren't there.

It's all probably a generational thing and where we come from musically and physcially as well. My opinions won't change no matter what anyone else has to say about it, and neither should anyone elses.

Cheers

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 11-27-2008).]

#249320 - 11/27/08 05:10 AM Re: Greatest Hammond Solos Can You Name Them all?......
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Aj, great post!!

#249321 - 11/27/08 10:28 AM Re: Greatest Hammond Solos Can You Name Them all?......
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
No prejudice here, but I noticed in the comments that YOU proclaimed his recording of Summertime superior to anything Jimmy Smith had ever recorded. Hmmmmmm. Well, I guess there are some out there that think Jerry Lee Lewis is better than Oscar Peterson, too. Whatever turns you on.

chas

Chas...we are on the same page here.....

#249322 - 11/28/08 11:29 AM Re: Greatest Hammond Solos Can You Name Them all?......
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Tom-Green Eyed Lady is a killer tune. Believe it or not, I still play it every chance I get
when I'm playing a B-3 or C-1 with a Leslie.

Often, it's the last song of the evening. This works if the job is the one I most often play with the B-3-a quiet Saturday 2 hour gig at a country club. Those who know what it is smile a lot. I leave really fast and avoid those with really confused looks on their faces. On guitar, the comperable song is the Edgar Winters tune from the Frankenstien album. It still ROCKS!

R.

#249323 - 11/28/08 12:11 PM Re: Greatest Hammond Solos Can You Name Them all?......
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Matthew Fisher/Procol Harum..."A Whiter Shade of Pale"...probably the most recognized Hammond solo/intro of all time.

Ian

#249324 - 11/28/08 01:40 PM Re: Greatest Hammond Solos Can You Name Them all?......
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Funkiest 6-second organ solo........Sly Stone - Dance to the music.

"Would you like to hear my organ.... I said, Ride, Sally, Ride".

chas

PS: Take that, Klaus W.

[This message has been edited by cgiles (edited 11-28-2008).]

#249325 - 11/28/08 01:55 PM Re: Greatest Hammond Solos Can You Name Them all?......
Dnj Offline

#249326 - 11/28/08 02:01 PM Re: Greatest Hammond Solos Can You Name Them all?......
Dnj Offline

Lets not forget GREGG ROLIE who played that fantastic Famous Hammond Solo in Santana's Band on "Evil Ways"

And believe it or not he's still performing with his own band on stage Live...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIzrhoGoOxk

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online