SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#249307 - 11/26/08 10:47 AM Re: Greatest Hammond Solos Can You Name Them all?......
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Oh yea, baby... great stuff!

Here's one of my all time favorites for screamin' blues... Lee Michaels and Stormy Monday:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7PpXSC1NN4&feature=related

#249308 - 11/26/08 10:48 AM Re: Greatest Hammond Solos Can You Name Them all?......
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Yes, I remember Lee Michaels:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7PpXSC1NN4

Glenn looks like I was posting the same you tube link while you were.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 11-26-2008).]

#249309 - 11/26/08 01:09 PM Re: Greatest Hammond Solos Can You Name Them all?......
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Donny, Paul is an irritating little guy, but I'm always amaised that you indicate your belief that he really isn't a player.

Site reading a chart like the Emmerson one is no small feat. I believe he has the chops to hold his own with the best.

I have met and like Tony and respect him for carrying on a asignificant tradition, but he falls a little short of my dear friend Winston Walls, who died last year, and more than a few others, in my opinion. Emmerson, in my opinion, was a little show-off, a little shy of real in-depth talent. He was no Jimmy Smith.

But that's just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions...

Be well, and enjoy whatever kind of music and whichever players you're into.

Russ

#249310 - 11/26/08 01:44 PM Re: Greatest Hammond Solos Can You Name Them all?......
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
Donny, Paul is an irritating little guy, but I'm always amaised that you indicate your belief that he really isn't a player.

Russ

Russ I know he can play but just not at the top of my list thats all...as you say we all have our opinions...I'll agree with you that Emerson arrangements can be daunting but all in all the late night band pulled it off....In fact a good friend of mine son is in the Max Weinberg 7 (late night w/Conan O'Brien band) these guys have to be good to back up all the different entertainment that appears on the show nightly for sure.

Russ may I wish you & yours a very Happy Holiday also!

#249311 - 11/26/08 01:55 PM Re: Greatest Hammond Solos Can You Name Them all?......
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Donny, thanks for mentioneing my ATF, Felix; and Tee, I loved Lee Michaels too. Still no mention tho of a real sleeper, Steve Winwood - nothing fancy but good nonetheless.

And what about Teegarden & VanWinkle - B3 and drums from the same era.

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 11-26-2008).]

#249312 - 11/26/08 02:01 PM Re: Greatest Hammond Solos Can You Name Them all?......
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Donny, I think the Conan band deserves more recognition. You're right-they're a great bunch of players. They're certainly good unough to deserve the job, but I'd hate to see Kevin Eubanks lose the Leno job when Conan takes over. On the other hand, I believe the Conan band deserves to be rewarded for their part in Conan's success.

And I'm sure Kevin will be fine. Hopefully, Jay will take him with him when he decides what to do next.If not, the guy was putting out Grammy nominated instrumental albums before the Leno job, so he'll be fine.

It's always nice to see great players get some recognition.

Be well, and have a great holiday.

R.

#249313 - 11/26/08 02:10 PM Re: Greatest Hammond Solos Can You Name Them all?......
Dnj Offline

Cass as you know there were so many back then, Jon Lord,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YJIgyJFIo0&feature=related

Billy Preston, to name a few...B3 baby was the thing to play for sure!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlxxmNP2MKw&feature=related

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 11-26-2008).]

#249314 - 11/26/08 02:13 PM Re: Greatest Hammond Solos Can You Name Them all?......
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
One thing I'll say about posts like these. It continues to remind us of the power and glory of the mighty 'B3'. I don't think any other keyboard has had such an enduring impact on jazz, rock, and gospel (piano excluded, of course). Just the raw emotion that's there for those with the talent and skill to extract it, is astounding. Jimmy was the master in terms of innovation. He was the first to take jazz/funk organ in that direction and remains the best example of that form (Tony M., Joey D., Don Patterson, Groove Holmes, Jimmy McGriff, Jack McDuff, Lonnie Smith, etc.). Balls-to-the-wall Rock Organ.....a whole different bunch of guys, with their own strengths and high level of excitement. I love both. I just really, really, really, love the instrument.

MiniMoogs, DX7's, Clavinets, C80's, Prophets, Rhodes, Chromas........all made their mark, however briefly, but the sound of the mighty Hammond will always be 'king of the hill'.

Just my completely unbiased opinion, of course.

chas

#249315 - 11/26/08 02:38 PM Re: Greatest Hammond Solos Can You Name Them all?......
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know he's not fashionable, but listen to this without prejudice:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5KdK_qi7a8

#249316 - 11/26/08 02:57 PM Re: Greatest Hammond Solos Can You Name Them all?......
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Seamaster:
I know he's not fashionable, but listen to this without prejudice:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5KdK_qi7a8

No prejudice here, but I noticed in the comments that YOU proclaimed his recording of Summertime superior to anything Jimmy Smith had ever recorded. Hmmmmmm. Well, I guess there are some out there that think Jerry Lee Lewis is better than Oscar Peterson, too. Whatever turns you on.

chas

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online