SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#249227 - 11/25/08 05:52 AM I Need Some Help and Advice!!!!
BG Eagle Offline

Loc: Birmingham., AL, USA
I want to do some casual performing with my two granddaughters(ages 10 and 7). I play a bit of acoustic guitar, a little piano and I'm working on the fiddle. I'm really not great on any of them. I've been thinking about something along the lines of a Yamaha PSR 900. I'm especially interested in the Music Finder and Digital Music Notebook systems and the direct internet connection that would seem to allow you to quickly set up a song for performance. If I spend the money, I want to be fairly certain the keyboard will do what I'm expecting. You guys who are already into this, please give me some feedback, especially about the Music Finder+ and the Digital Music Notebook. Thanks.

#249228 - 11/25/08 06:06 AM Re: I Need Some Help and Advice!!!!
Dnj Offline

Is your interest in the S900 just from something you read or have you played one...or others?...Have you ever played an arranger keyboard & know its workings to see if its really what you need?......
Can you elaborate a bit more on what you actually want to do........maybe then we can suggest some things.

#249229 - 11/25/08 06:10 AM Re: I Need Some Help and Advice!!!!
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Yeah.., def elaborate more. Are you a keys player..., are you looking for something that will primarily be a file player???? What you're needing could possibly be done by a module of some type. Give some more info and guys/gals here can point you in the right direction..
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#249230 - 11/25/08 06:24 AM Re: I Need Some Help and Advice!!!!
BG Eagle Offline

As I stated, I'm certainly not an accomplished performer. I do play guitar and I am learning piano and fiddle. I'm certainly not a proficient keyboard player. What I am looking for is something that will allow me to arrange some casual performances with the grands. I have read a lot about the PSR 900 and the Music Finder + was especially interesting since the feature would allow me to download arrangements of songs that would be ready to perform. I do have a good knowledge of computers but not much regarding MIDI and arranging. Of course, these arrangers are expensive so I want to know that what I'm getting will be helpful. Thanks for the help.

#249231 - 11/25/08 06:34 AM Re: I Need Some Help and Advice!!!!
Dnj Offline

I would go find a s900 and really try one first hand to see if the MFD feature is really what you need if your not a proficient Arranger KB player....judging by what your describing I dont think so & an expensive mistake. If your going to play fiddle, guitar, vocals against the music.....do the children play also?
I might think of going a different way there are alternatives.

Look into teh ketron Midjay or try to find a Roland Discover 5 MODULE
http://www.ketronus.com/midjay.php

http://namm.harmony-central.com/SNAMM03/Content/Roland/PR/DisCover-5M.html

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 11-25-2008).]

#249232 - 11/25/08 06:42 AM Re: I Need Some Help and Advice!!!!
squeak_D Offline

I think you should look into a module rather than the entire keyboard iteslf if you're looking more for "playback features". Your cheapest route "keyboard wise for a half decent arranger is going to run you at least $750 and up. A module like a Roland SonicCell.., or even a laptop alone with the right programs would get the job done.., and at a reasonable price too.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#249233 - 11/25/08 09:19 AM Re: I Need Some Help and Advice!!!!
BG Eagle Offline

Squeak,

Tell me about the module idea. I suppose that's a software package with sounds and styles that could play on my laptop with a new sound card?

#249234 - 11/25/08 09:41 AM Re: I Need Some Help and Advice!!!!
squeak_D Offline

There's the Roland SonicCell. Great sounds (Fantom X sounds).., plus it ships with a great editor (and seq software). You can buy any old cheap keyboard (that has midi jacks) and use that as a controller. You could use the SonicCell and included software to create some great playlists.., then just take the SonicCell on the gig and you'll have a great file player using a good sound bank.

A very good thing about the SonicCell is that since it's an external sound module.., when using it with your PC or laptop (since it's external) it will take a HUGE load off or your PC's or Laptop's CPU. You'd use the included editor and sofware seq to create your work. All the heavy processing work would be done by the SonicCell.., because when you start to get into running VST's, Effects, ect on your PC or Laptop.., these can really cause your computer to bog down if you don't have the RAM to push it.

The SonicCell with an inexpensive midi controller would still run you less than the PSR-S900. Go to www.RolandUs.com and have a look at it.. Also download the manual and read through that. Fran used to have one.., and I think a Chas even has one.

If you're still looking at the keyboard route, and don't want to spend too much dough, but have a nice set of keys I'd def look at the Roland GW-8. The GW has Fantom/SonicCell sounds.., and has a very cool feature that lets you play MP3's.., and other audio file formats directly from the USB stick. It'll even take audio files and greatly reduce the lead vocal channel. Worth looking into. I think it runs $850. A way to look at the GW-8 is that it's kinda like a Roland SonicCell with a set of keys.., but trading a feature here and there.

Plus if you're looking to the keyboard as say a good file player device.., you may or may not want the onboard speakers (as you probably wouldn't be using those on a gig). The GW-8 is a speakerless arranger, and without the speakers it reduces the weight of the keyboard.., makes it smaller and easier to transport.

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 11-25-2008).]

#249235 - 11/25/08 07:00 PM Re: I Need Some Help and Advice!!!!
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Buy the PSR-S900, have fun with the kids, and don't look back. It will provide both you and them with endless hours of enjoyment, the operating system is a piece of cake, the sounds are incredible, and it's extremely versatile.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#249236 - 11/25/08 07:11 PM Re: I Need Some Help and Advice!!!!
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
Buy the PSR-S900, have fun with the kids, and don't look back. It will provide both you and them with endless hours of enjoyment, the operating system is a piece of cake, the sounds are incredible, and it's extremely versatile.

Good Luck,

Gary

Ditto. The S900 would be your best bet.

Ian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online