SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#249212 - 11/25/08 01:38 PM Re: Has anyone tried these Tyros 2 Samples in their instruments?
jwyvern Offline

Here's a link which gives instructions about how to order from World of Keys.
http://www.yamahapkowner.com/forum/index.php?topic=16773.0;topicseen

Incidentally Ty3 custom voice data loads faster than Ty2 and additionally will load in the background so you can at least start using the keyboard while loading continues. As long as you have some setups that use just preset voices in the meantime.

John

#249213 - 11/25/08 02:41 PM Re: Has anyone tried these Tyros 2 Samples in their instruments?
Dnj Offline

Please Excuse my ignorance...Is it me ? or... here you have a Brand new TOTL Yamaha Tyros arranger keyboard touted with the so called best sounds available SA etc, etc, etc, whatever ....Can some one tell me why you would need to go buy more sounds, TVN or whatever for it after you just spent money on the latest & greatest? ....

What is so lacking that you would need to do this?

Anyone?

#249214 - 11/25/08 04:09 PM Re: Has anyone tried these Tyros 2 Samples in their instruments?
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Just to make sure....

I have been using the T2 since came out (seems like a long time), and not even a mont later, I already had some TVNs installed in my HD.
I have played an average of 3 to 5 times PER week since with the T2, NOT EVEN one had frizzed on me, I had a power surge a couple times, and of course, had to reboot, keep in mind that I ALWAYS play with the T2 and PA800-500, so, the music kept going.
Cheers ;o)
Regards.

------------------
mdorantes

#249215 - 11/25/08 04:36 PM Re: Has anyone tried these Tyros 2 Samples in their instruments?
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Telmo:

TVN is the term that is use for Yamaha Custom Voice = sample with a special format.

Donny:

I prefer to embellish the board I got(now the T2, soon the T3), and make the best of what it can be.

I have observed that perhaps, that is why you change so often of keyboards.
You know, we are always saying " I wish this would have this kind of sounds, styles, features, keys, etc."

So, we already know that there is not "PERFECT" arranger by any brand or model for X or Y reason, and when a board is kind of "close" to what we like and or suit our particular needs for the type of style we play/perform, is good to have the possibility to make it even closer of what we want, in my case, adding the sounds I think I like better than the stock to use it for MY particular taste and needs, Roland also have the options to add boards with sounds, Korg to import them, and so on .
I see this as a plus, if it was not, no manufacturer would consider include them into their keyboards.

#249216 - 11/25/08 04:53 PM Re: Has anyone tried these Tyros 2 Samples in their instruments?
Dnj Offline

MD thanx for the explanation.....would the upgrade to a Newer T3 eliminate the need for some of these TVN sounds? I'm personally more of a "stock sound" player & I let my playing speak for me on stage coupled with strong vocals.

Good luck with your new T3 &
Happy Thanks Giving to you & your family

#249217 - 11/25/08 06:31 PM Re: Has anyone tried these Tyros 2 Samples in their instruments?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
The T2 could accept up to 1GB of sample RAM... but I think we worked out that to use it all, you would have to wait over an hour to load it all...

Talk about your basic useless 'spec' No doubt put there so Yamaha users could delude themselves into thinking they got something useful for their money

But wouldn't it have been better (and WORTH crowing about) If they had merely allowed 128MB of RAM that you could load in ten SECONDS?

What could you use this for, you ask (seeing as how it's supposed to be 'perfect' already)? LOL Of course, it's amazing Donny never asked these kinds of questions when HE owned a Yamaha But I'm SURE there's no bias, here, is there? :

How about a drum kit that has real punch? How about several?

Now THAT would be worth waiting five minutes or more for boot-up! And hasn't anyone heard of using UPS's at gigs? Power browns out, the arranger keeps ticking (they are pretty much mandatory for all live sampler usage). And with the power nicely stabilized, your chances of a corrupt load basically go down to about zero (it's bad power that usually corrupts an otherwise good load).

Samplers are great, but ONLY when load up times are usable...

Yamaha would be (or at least their USERS would!) better off limiting RAM amounts, and instead concentrate on improving the RAM pipe load up speeds (which, BTW, have little to do with the difference between USB1 and 2... the HD is NOT the choke point, it's the computer data pathway into the RAM that is the bottleneck).

Then the dreaded 'Yamaha drums' syndrome could be a thing of the past

#249218 - 11/25/08 11:35 PM Re: Has anyone tried these Tyros 2 Samples in their instruments?
Telmo Offline

Loc: Brazil - South America
Thanks a lot Eric and Mdorantes for your kind explanation. So now, I'd like to reinforce Donny question: "MD thanks.....would the upgrade to a Newer T3 eliminate the need for some of these TVN sounds? And also, comparing with Tyros 2, is the loading time for calling up these Samples shorter with Tyros 3?

------------------

#249219 - 11/26/08 12:39 AM Re: Has anyone tried these Tyros 2 Samples in their instruments?
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Like I wrote in another thread, I have tried many of the commercial sounds available for the Tyros 2 and in my opinion they are not even close to the quality of the internal samples. So my advice to potential buyers would be to buy just the sounds that fill a gap in the Tyros 2 internal wave set, like choirs and vocal samples. On the other hand, there is really no point in buying samples of woodwinds or guitars (for example), because there is really no comparison with the T2 own sounds.
Speaking then of the Tyros 3, from what I have read it is still lacking in the same areas as the Tyros 2 (especially choirs and vocal sounds), so the advice to buy external samples is still valid (unless you can sample or import your own, which I think is the best and also the cheapest option possibile).
Finally, speaking of drums, no manufacturer that I am aware of offers drum sets for sale for the Tyros.

#249220 - 11/26/08 03:44 PM Re: Has anyone tried these Tyros 2 Samples in their instruments?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Which, once again, is the fault of Yamaha, pure and simple. Just about everyone else including a sampler on a keyboard includes the ability to import Akai format multisamples. And there is a VAST selection of some very, very high end drum kits, brass, pianos, you name it, they got it, at reasonable prices and fairly low RAM usage. It was, until GIGA sampler, the de facto format for professional sample usage...

But Yamaha eschew it, it favor of their own tiny, unsupported (mostly) format, in an effort to monopolize sales and access (pretty anti-competitive, IMO), and of course, it's their poor owners who get shafted... Trust me, were Yamaha to include Akai support, NOBODY would be bitching about a lack of sounds. Every conceivable sound you might ever want is already out there.

And the dead Yamaha drum sound would be a thing of the past...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online