SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#249053 - 11/24/08 02:59 PM Re: For all ROLAND affectionatos...
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Dennis ..no problem, I was just asking because I was not aware of any big differences, and seriously wanted to know what you thought were the differences..I checked with the Korg manual to see what I could find...but since I never tried the Korg songbook..I am in the dark..

#249054 - 11/24/08 03:06 PM Re: For all ROLAND affectionatos...
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Dennis they Both basically do the same thing & I definitly prefer both vs anything Yamaha has (MFD) is a joke regarding retaining pertinent User program information such as Transpose & accessing it....where the Korg PA excels is that it can also retain Mp3/Smf besides style songs.

Donny, as you are aware Roland also links SMF with styles..
The G70 and E-60 can not play MP3's..but the E80 does with no additional hardware..The E-80 also reads text and shows on the screen...So there is one Roland keyboard that is very similar to the PA800 in this respect..

#249055 - 11/24/08 03:30 PM Re: For all ROLAND affectionatos...
Dnj Offline

Fran you are a vast vault of information...I learn something from you EVERYDAY

Thanx Buddy

#249056 - 11/24/08 04:04 PM Re: For all ROLAND affectionatos...
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Thanks guys,
for the info on the G-70.

So G-70 is TOTL in Roland? What about the
E-80? It only has 61 keys, but other wise is it better than a G-70?

Got Korg OS2 installed today, very nice update for the money!

Lee

#249057 - 11/24/08 04:32 PM Re: For all ROLAND affectionatos...
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Dennis ..no problem, I was just asking because I was not aware of any big differences, and seriously wanted to know what you thought were the differences..I checked with the Korg manual to see what I could find...but since I never tried the Korg songbook..I am in the dark..

Fran, I guess the difference for me, is the Songbook was so easy and quick to use, but to be fair, I may actually be saying that about the G70 in a few weeks .

You push one button and you are there..ready to save all the settings to an entry. So two buttons (well a button and a tab) and you have it saved.

I think the way Korg linked the whole thing together as a total Songbook concept as opposed to the different way Roland implements the connection between the Music Assistant Music Finder and the UPG's/UPS.. Just seems there are three areas to edit and ensure are correct as opposed to one.

Please don't misunderstand me I think the Roland keyboard is great in what it does and I am really happy with it , and I totally agree with Donny that both are better than the Tyros line, for me anyway.

And just to clarify, when I said inferior, it was a marginal call.

IE the G70 was only a little behind the Korg Songbook, and ONLY in implementation, not in what it records.

So perhaps I chose the wrong word there...it subtly implied the G70 was deficient, and it certainly isn't. In some ways it is better than the PA.

Anyway just wanted to clarify a bit.

Thanks
Dennis

#249058 - 11/24/08 04:36 PM Re: For all ROLAND affectionatos...
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Quote:
Originally posted by leeboy:
Thanks guys,
for the info on the G-70.

So G-70 is TOTL in Roland? What about the
E-80? It only has 61 keys, but other wise is it better than a G-70?

Got Korg OS2 installed today, very nice update for the money!

Lee

Actually Lee, if this makes sense, I think they are both TOTL..In fact if Roland included the .bmp function and the MP3 function into the G70, apart from keybed, I'd say they would be pretty even.

And on that score, I can't see why Roland wouldn't include those two things (.bmp MP3) on an upgrade to the G70, they are after all, only software changes... The hardware on the E80 didn't change to accomodate them.

Dennis

#249059 - 11/24/08 04:48 PM Re: For all ROLAND affectionatos...
leeboy Offline

Maybe I'm just dense today??
So why is there a G-70 and E-80? The E-80 is newer, right?

Except keybed, which one sounds better, has better styles, sounds, functions etc.?

In other words if I go to audition one for a few hours which one should I concentrate on?

Lee

#249060 - 11/25/08 03:08 AM Re: For all ROLAND affectionatos...
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Depends whether you want a 76 or a 61.

E80 has some more sounds (but fewer legacy sounds), .bmp viewer (Roland posted that there WAS a hardware reason no .BMP viewer for G70 quite a while ago), some OS improvements (fixed velocity for sampled organ tones, floating split point, etc.), more effects - 3 insert effects to G70's 1 or 2, 2 mastering EQ's and comps (1 for styles and smf's, one for keyboard), 2 SRX slots to G70's one, speakers and weighs more

G70 has the best 76 action on the planet (IMO), individual outputs, and independent output for the harmonizer/mike section.

For me, at least, the piano sound is SO good it cries out for a bigger than 61 keyboard, but if you don't play piano, don't need additional outs and don't want to run your mike/harmonizer separately from the arranger's main mix, you're probably more future-proofed with the E80...

#249061 - 11/25/08 03:18 PM Re: For all ROLAND affectionatos...
leeboy Offline

Diki,
OK, I see,
Thanks,

So is a G-90 comming??? or is Roland done with new arrangers?
Lee

#249062 - 11/25/08 03:23 PM Re: For all ROLAND affectionatos...
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by leeboy:
So is a G-90 comming??? or is Roland done with new arrangers?
Lee

Patience is a virtue...

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online