SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#249043 - 11/23/08 09:35 PM Re: For all ROLAND affectionatos...
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Dennis glad to hear your enjoying your unit & Happy Holidays to you & yours.

Thanks Donny, yes I am enjoying it very much. Was a good move.

And best of the season to you and your family too Donny. I hope it's a happy and safe Christmas for you.

Dennis

#249044 - 11/23/08 10:14 PM Re: For all ROLAND affectionatos...
miden Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by leeboy:
Dennis,
How does it (G-70) compare to the PA2XPRO you had??

I'm pretty happy with the PA, should I even look at a G-70?
Thanks,
Lee

Hi Lee,

TOUGH question

And this will be a long answer

I suppose it depends on what your style is.

I sold my PA2xpro, because of functionality.

The G70 is ahead as far as a live keyboard goes, imho. And thats saying something considering the Korg is a great live keyboard too. Second on the list now for me.

Sound wise, they are very similar, although the G70 has much better basses. The basses on the Korg are ordinary.

The guitars on both are about the same (acoustic/clean electrics) but the o'drive/dist guitars on both suck. The ONLY sound source for electric guitars and basses is the Motif range (ES and up). Stunning.

In fact I now run MP3's made from my midis created on the Motif XS rack, and I play all the keyboard parts.

I have found a way of displaying my charts as album art embedded in the MP3, so I do not miss the MP3 player on the Korg (I link the G70 to a laptop (tablet PC).

The new DNC sounds on the Korg are supposed to be similar to the Yamaha SA ones, and as I had the Tyros 2, I had experience of those, but you know, I found that they were fun to tinkle around with at home, but I hardly ever used them live, and they are almost impossible to use within smf files, unless you want to spend hours programming one track.

I could do it, but I chose not to.

Lee the one (and probably only) thing I miss from the Korg is the Songbook, the UPG system on the Roland is inferior, but it is workable.

I left my synth programming days behind me with an old Dx7, Fantom and the JX3p, so having the sound editing/creation on the Korg was no big deal, and in any case the effects structure is really sucky so I never really tried too hard.

Keybed on the PA2x shades the G70, but the G70 is better than the PA1xPro.

Audio functions are similar, but the seperate audio in with a dedicated control on the G70 is a big winner.

I thought I would miss the hard drive, but 1 gig CF cards are just as quick so that's no issue.

Harmoniser on both is about the same. Although the G70 is sooooo much easier to use. I used to spend 2 hours just setting up 1 preset on the Korg.

Roland seemed to have nailed the correct settings when it is used within midi files/song files. I would never use either one in a vocal solo situation. (Same goes for the Harmony M as well) they just don't sound, well, right. To my ears anyway.

Hmmm, what else....Oh yeah...variety of fills is much better on the G70, I do miss the dedicated manual bass and acc hold buttons on the Korg. These can be programmed to assignable switches on the G70, but then you lose those switches.

Another one I miss is the ability to change drum maps(from memory it was a choice of 7 in each style) at the push of a button on the Korg, and the ability to overwrite anything set at the factory was also a BIG plus. Again it CAN be done on the G70, it is just not as easy an operation.

The Style and song "Makeup" tools on the G70 are worth the "price of admission" alone.

These are superbly created tools that work so easily and quickly. They WOULD be a reason to "jump ship" if you are right into your own styles.

One awesome control on the G70 is the D-Beam...I have it set to turn off accomp (which leaves just the drums and bass running) this is excellent for real light and shade when playing styles. One of the best features on the keyboard...

I cannot give you a definitive answer as to whether you should look at a G70, all I can say is this... In hindsight (and in THAT I am ALWAYS right ) and knowing what I know now, I would keep the PA2xPro, BUT having said that I am in no way disappointed with the G70, in fact I am extremely happy with it.

I am nearly at the point where I am ceasing to continually refer back to how I did things on the Korg, and thinking, yeah, this G70 is really going to "cut the mustard".

The point here being that if offered a PA2xpro, NOW, at the same price of the G70, it is no longer an instant decision. It would take me a week, or more, to decide to switch back, if ever.

Tell the truth, if they added the songbook to the G70, and re-introduced the chord sequencer I would recommend you seriously consider it. But as they are not going to do either, I reckon the Korg is one you should keep as you own it now.

If you didn't own the PA now and were looking at either one to buy that would be one tough choice!!

No doubt, and I mean NO DOUBT at all, having played the top three (PA2xpro, Tyros 2 and G70) that the top 2 are level, G70 and Pa2xPro, the Tyros falls second, not by a big margin, but significant enough. At least for this player anyway.

Sorry the answer was so long, but it was hard to reply in one sentence.

Lee if you want any further specific comparisons please fell free to ask.

Dennis

PS: Sorry to you Donny for the little hijack..

#249045 - 11/24/08 05:38 AM Re: For all ROLAND affectionatos...
Dnj Offline

Dennis ......no problem that was a great review honest and to the point with out the piss contest bias we see here frequently..
Please keep us abreast of your experiences.

#249046 - 11/24/08 06:06 AM Re: For all ROLAND affectionatos...
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
no problem that was a great review honest and to the point with out the piss contest bias we see here frequently..
Please keep us abreast of your experiences.

The biggest offenders, are usually the quickest to accuse....one, two, cha cha cha.

Have a nice day.

#249047 - 11/24/08 06:13 AM Re: For all ROLAND affectionatos...
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by leeboy:
Dennis,
How does it (G-70) compare to the PA2XPRO you had??

I'm pretty happy with the PA, should I even look at a G-70?
Thanks,
Lee

Lee how are you using your Pa2x pro?....also do you think the new OS update will benefit your needs. Just like the E60 I love the design of the pa2x also.....slim & trim. Hope your enjoying it alot.

#249048 - 11/24/08 07:10 AM Re: For all ROLAND affectionatos...
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Dennis,
Thanks very much for the detailed answer...very objective and helps a lot. After reading it twice...I think for now I will stay with the PA2, But if a G-80 comes out...???Lookout!

Actually I discover nice thing regularly on the PA2 now that I am starting to get nto more advanced things..doing styles etc. Songbook it superb for sure.

One thing that bugs me is...I play mostly old standards, slow ballads, romantic stuff, 40's, 50's 60's stuff but not too much fast real modern stuff.

While there is a lot of fanastic built in styles o the Korg, I remember some neat ones on the Yamaha T2 I had. S, I guess one reason to look at the Roland is styles.

I am now just starting to do some styles of my own. So if I can learn how to do song specific styles from MIDI files on the PA...well I guess I will just be a happy camper!

Donny,
I play mostly with styles, at home, for me & family. Some day I would like to also play out at nursing homes, comm centers etc...

I am not that great of musician, but I am improving a little! Being a Information Systems person and one that has spent many years with technology..learning the keyboard is easy, it's just my amateur level of musician that needs work. One big fault is sometimes I spend way too much time on tech things and not enough playing songs! :-)

I'm only 60 so, maybe I still have some time to get where I want to be.

Lee

#249049 - 11/24/08 07:15 AM Re: For all ROLAND affectionatos...
Dnj Offline

Good luck to you Lee...also try to go see other arranger players in your area when ever you can........ask questions, convert, edit, tweak, play frequently & most of all have fun playing.

Good Luck

Happy Holidays

#249050 - 11/24/08 01:35 PM Re: For all ROLAND affectionatos...
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
"Lee the one (and probably only) thing I miss from the Korg is the Songbook, the UPG system on the Roland is inferior, but it is workable"

Dennis, what does the Korg "song book" do that you can't do with Roland "user programs"?

Are you aware that a Roland user program will store the one touch settings that in themselves are like user programs...

I like the way Roland saves the complete snapshot as a user program,,,I am not aware of any advantage the Korg songbook has over the Roland user program...Enlighten me..

#249051 - 11/24/08 02:12 PM Re: For all ROLAND affectionatos...
miden Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
"Lee the one (and probably only) thing I miss from the Korg is the Songbook, the UPG system on the Roland is inferior, but it is workable"

Dennis, what does the Korg "song book" do that you can't do with Roland "user programs"?

Are you aware that a Roland user program will store the one touch settings that in themselves are like user programs...

I like the way Roland saves the complete snapshot as a user program,,,I am not aware of any advantage the Korg songbook has over the Roland user program...Enlighten me..

Fran if you carefully read my post, I didn't say you couldn't, just that in my view it (the UPG system) was different and inferior to the Korg Songbook function.

It still works okay though, and I have gotten used to it.

I am not going to get into convincing/enlightening you one way or the other. With respect, I am stating what I feel are deficiencies as opposed to the Korg as I see and experience them.

You would have to form your own opinion.

Dennis

#249052 - 11/24/08 02:24 PM Re: For all ROLAND affectionatos...
Dnj Offline

Dennis they Both basically do the same thing & I definitly prefer both vs anything Yamaha has (MFD) is a joke regarding retaining pertinent User program information such as Transpose & accessing it....where the Korg PA excels is that it can also retain Mp3/Smf besides style songs.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online