SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#248942 - 11/23/08 06:29 AM Re: Tyros 3 x Roland e-80, which one is better for OMB?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
First place great Italian food & a very pretty girl doing a power single act using a Roland E500 arranger/vocals & Flute......second place for Irish coffee & deserts a 1700's Tavern in a Philadelphia suburb a great Player/Singer using a Korg Pa800 & Bose Pas......a real nice evening of music & friends.

Nice to see these home keyboards used in professional situations...just sold a PSR-S900 to a single performer....guitar player who sings and plays along with SMF.

#248943 - 11/23/08 06:30 AM Re: Tyros 3 x Roland e-80, which one is better for OMB?
TommyF Offline

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
My "tone" was just to indicate that a lot of this is marketing hype, and was not meant as a personal slight.

OK, no harm done. I have edited my post too

Kind regards,
Tommy

#248944 - 11/23/08 07:35 AM Re: Tyros 3 x Roland e-80, which one is better for OMB?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Correctomundo.The E-80 is clearly a home keyboard, where weight and ease of transport are less of a consideration.

The Tyros is certainly easier to transport from living room to child's bedroom and back again. That much is "correctomundo". But the E-80 is better built to withstand being transported in and out of vans and venues. Do you see?

#248945 - 11/23/08 07:54 AM Re: Tyros 3 x Roland e-80, which one is better for OMB?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Seamaster:
The Tyros is certainly easier to transport from living room to child's bedroom and back again. That much is "correctomundo". But the E-80 is better built to withstand being transported in and out of vans and venues. Do you see?

I can see you don't mind lugging around a very heavy "home" keyboard...that's "correctomundo".

I played and spent some time with the E-80...I don't think it's better built, but it is most certainly much heavier than the Tyros1 which is roughly it's counterpart....it is no where near the Tyros3 in sound or build quality.

Do you actually gig out with the E-80? That thing must weigh a ton in a road case.

Your child has a Tyros in his/her bedroom?

Cool! Congratulations.

#248946 - 11/23/08 08:08 AM Re: Tyros 3 x Roland e-80, which one is better for OMB?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
I played and spent some time with the E-80...I don't think it's better built, but it is most certainly much heavier than the Tyros1 which is roughly it's counterpart..

I can see why you rely so much on smilies in your posts. No one who has given even a cursory examination of the build quality of both instruments side by side could argue this with a straight face.

#248947 - 11/23/08 08:13 AM Re: Tyros 3 x Roland e-80, which one is better for OMB?
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Actually, yes, most of the arranger players I know down here are Roland users...

Not that I know that many... this is still a hotbed of bands, rather than OMB's, on the whole. That's one of the reasons I love my G70. It's a pretty unapologetic full band keyboard, AS WELL as a decent arranger.

Personally, I prefer arrangers, with their immediacy of editing and quick tone selection over WS's for live gigging. If you have plenty of time to set everything up in advance, a WS might sound a bit better (but not for the music I tend to play), but go out and play a pickup gig, where you need splits and layers at the drop of a hat (I'm not really one of those 'one sound at a time' type players ), and an arranger is FAR easier to setup on the fly...

So far, just about every band I've played in has gone 'Holy cr@p! That things sounds AMAZING! What in the hell is it?'. This, in a town with plenty of Tritons, Fantoms, Motif's, etc.. I definitely have never ONCE got a negative comment about it being an arranger! In the studio, it's getting plenty of track time even against VSTi's and the K2500, Tritons, etc..

So, all in all, I don't much care for what the 'average' arranger user thinks of it. I'm not one of those...

And, were I to use even the vaunted T3, you BET I would be still trying to sound 'different' But having a harder time to do it..!

I am sure no one will diss an arranger who hires someone to play for a night. You would be surprised to realize how many people don;t even know the quality Arrangers even exist, I ALWAYS demo an arranger to anyone looking for Home Recording equipment. I cannot remember when someone already knew what they could do for a song writer hobbiest with home studio over a Workstation.

Even those who come in looking for Motifs were not aware of the capabilities of Arrangers regarding making 3 quick layers and left hand separate sounds, Splits and generally on the fly sound creation. In the Roland G70s case and the Korg one would not suspect anything is different from any workstation Keyboard.

The Yamaha's are giveaways with the Tyros big square lit up buttons and 61 keys. Especially the speakered 900's, until they are heard.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#248948 - 11/23/08 08:21 AM Re: Tyros 3 x Roland e-80, which one is better for OMB?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Seamaster:
I can see why you rely so much on smilies in your posts. No one who has given even a cursory examination of the build quality of both instruments side by side could argue this with a straight face.

The smilies? I just didn't want to hurt your feelings about the E-80, as you probably own one and have the need to defend it...so I try to let you down easy.

You really don't actually gig with one of those do you?

Maybe it's just parked next to your child's Tyros in the bedroom?

Ian

#248949 - 11/23/08 08:23 AM Re: Tyros 3 x Roland e-80, which one is better for OMB?
Dnj Online   content

It weighs no more then a good set of QUALITY Speakers, Amps, PA, etc which you can easily roll into the gig on a Rock N Roller cart.....

man when does this pissin contest ever end?

#248950 - 11/23/08 08:31 AM Re: Tyros 3 x Roland e-80, which one is better for OMB?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
It weighs no more then a good set of QUALITY Speakers, Amps, PA, etc which you can easily roll into the gig on a Rock N Roller cart.....

man when does this pissin contest ever end?

How do you get the Rock and Roller cart up a flight of stairs, Donny?

That must be fun...

The E-80 weighs 50 lbs without a flight case...that's even more than the G70.

You won't use a G70 because of it's weight...that's what you've told us here on the forum.

Would you use an E-80 for gigging?

Ian

#248951 - 11/23/08 08:40 AM Re: Tyros 3 x Roland e-80, which one is better for OMB?
Dnj Online   content

One Two Cha Cha Piss...I give up.....Ian go play with someone else...btw your insistent Yamaha delusions don't fly with me..

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 11-23-2008).]

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online