SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#248876 - 11/21/08 06:37 PM Re: Roland Discover 5 an oldie but Goodie for sure...
Dnj Offline

eq issue has been resolved.......but yamahas lack of editing every piece of the DRUM KIT & editing styles and smf is unsurpassed..
btw Fran is a Roland expert & affectionado also.

BTW the e60/50 have speakers does the Tyros?

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 11-21-2008).]

#248877 - 11/21/08 06:51 PM Re: Roland Discover 5 an oldie but Goodie for sure...
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
eq issue has been resolved.......but yamahas lack of editing every piece of the DRUM KIT & editing styles and smf is unsurpassed..
btw Fran is a Roland expert & affectionado also.

BTW the e60/50 have speakers does the Tyros?

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 11-21-2008).]

Not too many people edit indivdual drums, Donny, but, I guess if you have to because the styles don't sound good, then it is good that you have it on the E-60.

You should really have a G70 and then you'd have it all...part EQ'ing, vocal harmony, and a better action...Fran and Diki swear by them.

The Tyros has optional speakers...didn't you know that?

Ian

#248878 - 11/22/08 02:44 AM Re: Roland Discover 5 an oldie but Goodie for sure...
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Coca, unless you just want to do covers of Boyz-to-men (with no accompaniment), you probably don't want the VP-550. These are two different animals. I suppose you could add a SMF player but you still wouldn't have all the functions and features built into the D5. Go for the D5 if you can find one.

chas

#248879 - 11/23/08 06:22 AM Re: Roland Discover 5 an oldie but Goodie for sure...
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I never liked the tone of that harmonizer. It always has a Bee Gees sound to it....if the G70 is the same one, as I've been told it is .... that would squash any chance of it living in my studio.
The TC is the best IMO, with the Digitech running 2nd.

#248880 - 11/23/08 11:11 AM Re: Roland Discover 5 an oldie but Goodie for sure...
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
...I'd still like to hear what the D5 did that can't be done on an E50/60/80/G70... (other than the lack of harmonizer on the lower end models)

NOTHING! Is that what you wanted to hear? Again, that's really not the right question. For me the DC5 was a great niche keyboard. As I've confessed often I'm not that much of a styles player and the DC5 gave me the one thing the E50/60 can't - and that's the vocal harmonizer. It does have basically all the goodies of the G70 minus the keys and the arranger section. It's kind of like comparing oranges and tangerines.

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 11-23-2008).]

#248881 - 11/23/08 11:19 AM Re: Roland Discover 5 an oldie but Goodie for sure...
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Oranges and tangerines? LOL... that's good

Mind you, without an arranger section, maybe more oranges and potatoes..!

Even if you don't use the style section on the gig, I find it to be invaluable in creating SMF's quickly, that you can further fine tune in the sequencer.

And personally, as rapidly as harmonizer quality has risen recently (with none of it available built-in to arrangers, yet) if I used one of those things, I'd probably be happier with an E60 and a Digitech or TC external unit than the D5 or G70 combo. They just sound SO much better...

#248882 - 11/23/08 06:29 PM Re: Roland Discover 5 an oldie but Goodie for sure...
Dnj Offline

The Discover 5 also came with some really nice Rhythm sequences (drums only) so you could play left hand bass and right hand chords & leads as an addition to teh smf play for certain situations.

#248883 - 11/23/08 06:33 PM Re: Roland Discover 5 an oldie but Goodie for sure...
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
What's the difference between that and just soloing the Drums Part on the arranger?

And, if it was SMF's, how could you kick fills when you need them? Was it just 16 bar patterns? Or was there any control...? Mark/Jump?

BTW, anyone have those rhythm SMF's? They might make good starting places for a user style...

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online