SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#248760 - 11/23/08 12:44 AM Re: Yamaha Stagea ELS-01C..WOOOWWWEEE!!!!!!!
mrdave Offline

Loc: Rimini, Italy
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I have listened to the Atelier demos pretty carefully...

Until last year, my city (Rimini - Italy) hosted the major musical instruments italian expo (DISMA) and was the only place where I had the chances to play these monsters. and you had to use headphones to try them (due to the extreme noisy place). The last one I tried was the AT-90SL and I can confirm the majority of sounds are exactly the same as the G-70 sounds, even many styles are the same. They have added the rodgers organs, some theater organ samples, and different styles, (the style editing functions are much limited compared to the G-70 however).
Other than that, the difference is that you can layer more sounds together (If I remember correctly up to 5 on the upper keyboard and 4 on the lower), and using two manuals and a pedalboard, if you are a good player you can do things that with an arranger are impossible. But with the aastronomical price they have, you could buy many keyboards and a MIDI pedalboard and do pretty the same.

#248761 - 11/23/08 12:52 AM Re: Yamaha Stagea ELS-01C..WOOOWWWEEE!!!!!!!
mrdave Offline

10.990,00 € ?? No thanks... I'd buy a Pa2x Pro and a Tyros 3 keeping my G-70 if I could spend that amount of money... and I would enjoy the best sounds of all the three worlds!

#248762 - 11/23/08 01:12 AM Re: Yamaha Stagea ELS-01C..WOOOWWWEEE!!!!!!!
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Diki

At the keyboard festival, apart from some players that used their own Bose system, all the keyboards and organs used the same sound system.
Pretty much all the keyboards (Yamaha were the exception) were demoed using high quality SR speaker systems, so direct comparison was apples with apples, and the Roland arrangers were the weakest out there.

As I have said before, forget online demos, go out and try one yourself (If there are no dealers in your area, just ask the distributor to point you in the direction of a local owner, most of who will be pleased to let you try it) as it’s the only way to hear what they are capable of.

MrDave

The AT90SL sounds the same as Roland arrangers because it uses the same sound engine; however the new models have a brand new sound engine, which leaves the old sound engine way behind.

Regards

Bill

#248763 - 11/23/08 01:29 AM Re: Yamaha Stagea ELS-01C..WOOOWWWEEE!!!!!!!
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
Good one Chas! I type so fast at times it's amazing I don't have more goofs I get ahead of myself I guess.... Sometimes I think my brain and fingers are a few mil. seconds apart.

Squeak,
Sounds like a softsynth, doesn't it?

Everyone,
see this: http://engrishfunny.com/ , please don't eat or drink while wiewing those pages, you may ruin the screen and keyboard.

[This message has been edited by trident (edited 11-23-2008).]

#248764 - 11/23/08 02:56 AM Re: Yamaha Stagea ELS-01C..WOOOWWWEEE!!!!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:
Having been in home organ retail for 30+ years until a few years ago, I can tell you as a fact in the US, Lowrey organs far outsell Roland who hardly have any market at all. As far as comparing the two, those that have a Lowrey or can A/B the 2 almost invariably will go Lowrey.

They must be mad.

I just got a Lowrey demo DVD and its risible. Their throwback range is a camp embarrassment. I'm frankly astonished they're still in business.

[This message has been edited by Seamaster (edited 11-23-2008).]

#248765 - 11/23/08 06:30 AM Re: Yamaha Stagea ELS-01C..WOOOWWWEEE!!!!!!!
mrdave Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:

MrDave

The AT90SL sounds the same as Roland arrangers because it uses the same sound engine; however the new models have a brand new sound engine, which leaves the old sound engine way behind.

So, I hope the next Roland arranger will have that sound engine!!!

#248766 - 11/23/08 11:25 AM Re: Yamaha Stagea ELS-01C..WOOOWWWEEE!!!!!!!
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK

#248767 - 11/23/08 01:52 PM Re: Yamaha Stagea ELS-01C..WOOOWWWEEE!!!!!!!
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I have listened to the Atelier demos pretty carefully, Ensnareyou... Other than the Rodgers organ stuff and the new articulated sounds (which I think have a LONG way to go to even equal a T3), I can pretty much identify each and every sound in them as a G70 sound...

The brass, the strings, the drums, the basses... you name it, it sounds like my G70.

Diki,

As is typical with Roland and most keyboard manufacturers they will often have the same sounds in various instruments but these sounds are often sampled at higher BIT rates and use longer samples. Roland also uses better components on their higher end instruments such as CPU's, AD/DA, capacitors, and more stable power supplies which gives that instrument a much broader frequency response and richer sound. One look at the Atelier specs clearly shows the CPU is far more powerful than your beloved G-70. The Atelier has 384 notes of polyphony! Under the hood there's a lot more going on than just the Super Natural, Articulation, and Rodgers organ sounds.

I've said it many times before and you just can't seem to grasp the concept but without hearing the actual instrument in person you aren't really hearing the true instrument. An online demo is fine for you to get an idea of the type of sounds the instrument can produce, but it gives you no clue to the frequency response, noise level of the AD/DA's, or the wealth of features and real time controls the instrument has.

The Korg Oasys is a good case in point where without playing one in person most people believe it's just a Triton Studio or M3 with some added features which is not the case. The AD/DA's and frequency response of the Oasys is far superior to both. The dynamic range of the Oasys is truly incredible and only the Wersi and Lionstracs are on par. Actually the Lionstracs dynamic range is even broader. Of course without being able to AB these instruments you wouldn't know that. Instead you espouse your knowledge, or lack thereof, about instruments you've never played and expect others to take your words as fact.

[This message has been edited by Ensnareyou (edited 11-23-2008).]

#248768 - 11/23/08 02:57 PM Re: Yamaha Stagea ELS-01C..WOOOWWWEEE!!!!!!!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Crickets chirping....

#248769 - 11/23/08 03:17 PM Re: Yamaha Stagea ELS-01C..WOOOWWWEEE!!!!!!!
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I gotta agree with Ensnareyou on this one Diki. Aren't the E50/60 soundsets.., when compared to the G-70 essentially the same thing Lee is saying? Haven't they been compared here before and comments made that the E line isn't quite on par with the G-70 sonically (even though we're talking same or very similiar soundsets)

Diki.., haven't you and others also said the E50/60 are baby G-70's...?? Similar sounds, but actual quality of the sound between them differs based on the components used between them.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online