SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#248320 - 11/17/08 12:38 PM Re: about DEMO's ....and some personal thoughts thrown in
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
For which the arranger has no impact at all. Again, a good communicator on a Casio beats a dud on a T3 (even if he's a decent musician).

So that's TWO strikes against the arranger being the most important part of the equation

Kinda puts it all in perspective, doesn't it?

#248321 - 11/17/08 12:55 PM Re: about DEMO's ....and some personal thoughts thrown in
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
It's all about effective communicating, whether your on a B3 or a Stylophone.

The arranger is another type of tool used to transmit...nothing more.

Ian

#248322 - 11/17/08 01:09 PM Re: about DEMO's ....and some personal thoughts thrown in
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Of course...using cheap or poor quality tools usually isn't a good idea...there is a point of diminishing returns.

#248323 - 11/17/08 09:29 PM Re: about DEMO's ....and some personal thoughts thrown in
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
I've seen formidably mediocre players hold their audience spellbound, and technically proficient musicians turn an audience off completely...so it's not always musical technique that is working, but just how effective the player is at connecting.

Ian

Technically proficient people display that in all they do. Its like a singer who uses vocal calisthenics constantly "OK we get it" Now sing something fomr the inside out

Technicians are the least creative players i have run across. I played in a professional show where there were TWO keyboard players. I had charts for a 7 piece band. The one keyboard player was a technician but her playing had no soul, no heart. The other could not read the charts but after a time his playing was amazing. Guitar players are a great example. Some can rip through patterned scales. Others make the note sing by what's BETWEEN them.

Sometimes in a rare occasion you get both. Out of 25 or 30 keyboard players I worked with in theaters and showrooms in 12 years all over and from AC to Las Vegas to Branson and internationally, only TWO I can remember had both. Heart,soul and major technical and reading skills.

Teacnical players are great for Neiman Marcus, Orchestras, Hotel Lobbys, and restaurants. But not as entertainers in OMB situations that require more than just playing "as written" with prowess and no heart.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#248324 - 11/18/08 05:10 AM Re: about DEMO's ....and some personal thoughts thrown in
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Good post! When it comes to demos..., that's all some of us have to rely on. It would be great to find a GC, Sam Ash, or any good music store that has a great keyboard stock, but sadly for some of us that journey would require hours of traveling.

I remember when I felt so fortunate to find a PSR-3000 and 1500 at a music store here in West Virginia. It was by chance (I was already in town).., but that store was over 3 hours away from my home.., and these PSR's were really the ONLY keyboards that the owner had in stock. Not one upper end pro keyboard in that store (arranger or workstation).

I don't let a keyboard demo completey influence my decision to buy any keyboard. When I listen to keyboard demos..., I'm listening to the "core sound". Honestly, I could care less about the playing skill of the person who did the demo. I listen for the raw core sound of the instruments used and pay close attention to details within the sound such as velocity switching, any un-natural sounding nuances, ect. It's obvious some players can take a really great patch and completely destroy it in a demo.., BUT regardless of how bad their playing is you can at least hear the sound (and its potential) even in the hands of a less skilled player.

I totally agree with the issue of Yammies styles in regards to the Tyros. However, I have that issue with all Yamaha arrangers. Yamaha IMO does an amazing job at arranging these styles (core construction).., but I agree that they seriously lack that "human feel". At times they can feel and sound very robotic. Some here like that though. IMO there's nothing that kills a style more than one that has been "quantized" to death.

I also agree that in some cases (not stooping to being cruel with the responses), but HONEST opinions of another's work could be very beneficial. Too often it seems that a persons "feelings" are always kept in mind when demos get critiqued. Some are also poor sports too. If you post a demo you have to expect that other's may or may not like it. I think people need to be more honest about their opinions of demos..., and not worry about sparing the feelings of the poster. If he or she is confident in their work.., and truely willing to "continue learning".., as WE ALL should be doing.., then negative opinions of a demo should be used in a way to better ourselves and our playing.

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 11-18-2008).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#248325 - 11/18/08 05:43 AM Re: about DEMO's ....and some personal thoughts thrown in
Dnj Offline

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online