SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#248062 - 11/11/08 09:14 PM G70 ver 3
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Just wanted to post and interesting (and very pleasing) discovery about the G70 ver 3.

To set the story up... As I have posted before, I managed to luck onto a really cheap G70 that was an ex-factory demo at a Roland clearance sale.

Well it turns out this thing must have been on the first shipment to OZ...Keys scratched and a bit soft.. scratches and deep stains on the fascia panel and end cheeks, lots of scratches on the bottom, no stand, Manual that looked like it had been through the washing machine..etc etc.

To top it off it also had op sys 1.00 whihc also made me think it was one fo teh first ones ot arrive!! I dutifully upgraded it to 3.0...

Anyhoo... I complained long and loud to the dealer, although to be fair it was not his fault as we both ordered it sight unseen, and went on the word of the Roland rep.

We both agreed this keyboard was at best a poor s/hand version, and not really an ex-demo..

Again, long story short, Roland agreed (after much to-ing and fro-ing) to replace it with a brand new one for the SAME PRICE!!! Woohoo. Interestingly the box AND the keyboard BOTH were sporting V3 stickers.

But when I switched it on, the sound was incredible, very very good and better in fact that the other one I had with version 3 that I had installed .

Perhaps the factory update also sets up all the EQ's??

You also get an addendum which adds the V2/V3 reference pages, (with VERY good Guitar Mode and Style Convertor instruction pages btw).

I did a quick scan through the styles, they sound so, much better it was amazing...

The only thing I can think of is the "per-part" eq engine that comes with V3, and Roland seem to have done most of the hard work for you..

Anyway just wanted to share a good-news (well to me anyway) story. Sorry it was so long!

Dennis

#248063 - 11/11/08 09:20 PM Re: G70 ver 3
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
That's great news! And it's good to hear about such great support from Roland.
To be fair, I had similar support from Yamaha last year, when I needed an S900 pronto.
Regarding the upgrade, I wonder if one is in store for E50?
DonM

#248064 - 11/11/08 10:42 PM Re: G70 ver 3
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
yes, great news. probably the eq per track makes the difference.
i'd love it on my E60. which btw is version 1.11

#248065 - 11/12/08 08:13 AM Re: G70 ver 3
Dnj Offline

Adi....
be patient you never know..Roland is full of surprises.....

#248066 - 11/12/08 11:01 AM Re: G70 ver 3
mc Offline

Loc: New York
Great news....... Good luck with your NEW G70. I had a problem some years ago with a Korg Ix300. It seems that the motherboard went bad and I took it to a Korg repair dealer, it no longer had a warrantee. I waited 4 weeks and they couldn't fix it. They sent it to Korg USA after 3 weeks they replaced all of the guts inside the keyboard the only this was existing was the shell and the keybed, which was mint. The best thing was that they covered the whole repair. They had said that it was the first time that they had see this issue. So I know how you feel...... GOOD LUCK

[This message has been edited by mc (edited 11-12-2008).]

#248067 - 11/12/08 11:14 AM Re: G70 ver 3
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
That's GREAT, Dennis. That means you've got a
source to call on for future problems, or at least have identified a source for assistance.
Of course, i hope you don't have additional problems.

Wish I was as confident about Ketron back-up.

Enjoy,

Russ

#248068 - 11/12/08 01:02 PM Re: G70 ver 3
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Nice to hear someone that has direct and immediate experience with the difference between early G70's and brand new ones. SO MUCH of the negative hype here comes from people that have never played a V3 G70, only played one when they first came out (or forgot to upgrade one they were trying), and simply assumed that a mere OS upgrade could not make so much difference. Despite me and a few others extolling it (V3), few I think really believed it...

Well, here's the proof!

And Dennis, congrats on a remarkable deal from Roland. For shame on them for trying to pass off such a beat up one as 'factory demo', but HUGE kudos to them for making it right in such a spectacular way!

Now go off and turn your brand new manual into something that resembles the factory demo one!

#248069 - 11/12/08 01:27 PM Re: G70 ver 3
Dnj Offline

A year or so ago I bailed on my G70 V2 for merely nothing more then the weight & size for in & out gigging convenience everyday.... just after that of course they came out with V3 but I got my feet wet with the G70 enough to to know I loved everything else about the OS & the way Roland dos it compared to others. I was lucky enough to play Fran's G70 in the studio after he installed V3 & I had a smile on my face all day after I played it.
Now with my E60 I have many of the G70 attributes without the weight issue & know now I made the right choice. So much so I'm thinking of getting another G70 for home.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online