SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#247985 - 11/12/08 03:26 PM Re: Anyone Try or using one of these little guys?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Recession? What recession? There's a recession going on? Oh my, what are we to do?

#247986 - 11/12/08 03:33 PM Re: Anyone Try or using one of these little guys?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Kingfrog:
SOft synths are getting so good, when an SERIOUS arranger comes out in software form with A ton of styles I won't need the Tyros.

Band in the Box doesn;t cut it.

I think we're all waiting for this to come to market some day soon for sure. A laptop with great arranger software and a controller KB oh my!

#247987 - 11/12/08 04:39 PM Re: Anyone Try or using one of these little guys?
miden Offline

Loc: The World
What I don't understand is why you guys don't at least look at tablet laptops for performing!

They fold flat and fit very nicely on a music stand, and you can get full sheet music on them and a touch screen as well.

I bought a s/h hand 12" one for $400 AUD and for just displaying charts, or lower level audio tasks it's great.

Dennis

#247988 - 11/12/08 04:51 PM Re: Anyone Try or using one of these little guys?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Dennis I think they are great..The link to Indamix was posted..but Diki called it a toy..

Linux also looks like the way to go for "Just music" programs..

I recieved a purchase offer of $800 from the company...I still may get one...

#247989 - 11/12/08 04:58 PM Re: Anyone Try or using one of these little guys?
Fran Carango Offline

http://www.indamixx.com:80/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=1&category_id=1&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=57

#247990 - 11/12/08 06:00 PM Re: Anyone Try or using one of these little guys?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Dennis,

Great Idea. I have looked at those tablets, and I want one, but I have not found one for less than $800. Way too much money than I'm willing to pay right now.

I do see one in my future though.

Al

Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
What I don't understand is why you guys don't at least look at tablet laptops for performing!

They fold flat and fit very nicely on a music stand, and you can get full sheet music on them and a touch screen as well.

I bought a s/h hand 12" one for $400 AUD and for just displaying charts, or lower level audio tasks it's great.

Dennis

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#247991 - 11/12/08 06:45 PM Re: Anyone Try or using one of these little guys?
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Dennis I think they are great..The link to Indamix was posted..but Diki called it a toy..

Linux also looks like the way to go for "Just music" programs..

I recieved a purchase offer of $800 from the company...I still may get one...

Fran I would disagree with Diki on that, I didn't think it was a toy, looked like a great tool. But having read your post (above) I think I may have not gone deep enough on the website... I thought it was just for actual audio recording...I didn't realise it could do the other PC stuff as well.

Might have to have another look..

Dennis

#247992 - 11/12/08 07:30 PM Re: Anyone Try or using one of these little guys?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Main problem I have with it is that it doesn't run the industry standard DAW's... ProTools, Cubase4, Sonor, Logic, Nuendo etc..

While Linux offers much in the way of audio prioritizing in the OS, the apps that run on it are in their infancy, and don't offer as well tested, powerful and elegant audio solutions. Things may improve in time, but for now, I'm more concerned with the APP than the OS it runs on...

Using Linux dramatically reduces your choices when it comes to audio tools of choice, plug-ins that run on PCI cards (no UAD Linux, no Duende, no TC stuff), and a VERY limited selection of VSTi's that run reliably on it...

But, what the hey! It LOOKS neat...

#247993 - 11/12/08 10:25 PM Re: Anyone Try or using one of these little guys?
Lucky2Bhere Offline

http://www.pcworld.com/article/151402-3/the_10_most_overrated_products.html

Overrated: Mini Notebooks; Underrated: Ultraportable Laptops

A serviceable, compact notebook for around $500? It sounds tempting if you're on a tight budget and have modest processing needs. Mini-notebooks are small and easy to love. But try doing anything fancier than sending e-mail or composing a document, and you'll long to upgrade to an Etch A Sketch. Intel's Atom CPU gives very small devices de­­cent power—but hundreds of bucks to do a handful of tasks adequately? Mmph.

Meanwhile, full-blooded laptops that can easily outperform a mini-notebook are getting more affordable every day. For ex­­ample, Lenovo's X61, a 12.1-inch, 3.6-pound ultraportable, sells for about $1000. It offers more flexibility and will resist obsolescence better than any current or near-future mini-notebook will

#247994 - 11/13/08 06:15 PM Re: Anyone Try or using one of these little guys?
Fran Carango Offline

This little guy kicks butt!!!

I received my Lenovo IdeaPad S10 today..I have set it up...and it handles everything I have thrown at it ..so far..Lucky , I think you are wrong on this..You are selling it way short..

It has a gig of ram , and a 160 g 5400 HD..

Tomorrow I will test it recording multiple tracks and running soft synths with a USB controller....If this works..You should consider this for your music needs...

My only concern ..no CD drive makes it impossible to install protected programs like Roland Hypercanvas, and Native Instrument B4...also periodic verification via CD....

I will use a USB CD drive to install and hope I can do the verification via thumb drive...

The quality of the S10 (construction) looks much better than the other lower price brands I looked at...so far $100 extra is worth the difference...

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online