SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#247950 - 11/11/08 09:01 AM Trying some different things...
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I've been at this business a long time, and sometimes I just get bored doing the same things. Here are some things I'm trying;

* Trio work-upright, guitar and drums.
* Duo work-B-3 and drums.
* Nylon string and upright.
* Piano and harp (large church)
* Guitar and harp.
* Solo nylon string-all instrumentals.
* Vibes and piano.
* Guitar and violin
* Arranger with various instruments...flueugal horn, flute, flute and sax, guitar, violin.
* "On the fly" gigs with a player or players I admire but have never worked with (all standards-stock keys).

I have booked all of the above combinations multiple times for the balance of the year and in 2009. Have played 8 gigs in some of these configurations. Really keeps you on your toes. Even considering doing upright with a leading bluegrass band from this area.
(Ok, Ok, I know, but the guy's a good friend of mine and a Grammy winner).

A good number of my "society" jobs are quiet affairs before a meeting, and I have lots of
lattitude when it comes to instruments and material.

Crazy or not?

Russ

#247951 - 11/11/08 09:07 AM Re: Trying some different things...
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Crazy?

I think it's absolutely brilliant. Most guys our age and older get stuck in ruts and comfort zones and don't like change. I think it's awesome to turn things on it's head.

Just how many instruments do you play, Russ??

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#247952 - 11/11/08 09:17 AM Re: Trying some different things...

Al, I play a "dirty" B-3, acceptable vibes, upright bass and anything with keys or frets on it (including, tenor banjo, mandolin and a bunch of "oddballs"-guitaron, sitar, balalaika...a little-very little-violin, percussion instruments, etc.) I also played drums in California for a year or so in a "house" band. Alternated with the drummer, who doubled on trumpet.

What I'm doing is trying to not restrict myself to jazz and adding classical and other styles and materials. And, there is work out there if you put the right combination together.

Each configuration presents it's own challenges.

Above all, it's FUN!

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 11-11-2008).]

#247953 - 11/11/08 09:43 AM Re: Trying some different things...
Dnj Offline

Russ adding country to your act also?

#247954 - 11/11/08 09:54 AM Re: Trying some different things...

Donny-NO!Everything will have a jazz-classical orientation. That all sort of fits together. The Bluegrass would be with a guy who is, at 70 years old, at the top of his game. I'm a big fan of Victor Wooten, who works with Bella Fleck as well as doing lots of independent projects. Edgar Meyer also does some bluegrass, in addition to classical and jazz on upright. One of the best Lonesome Pine shows ever was Edgar, Ray Brown and Victor, who all met one hour before a performance. That's the kind of spontenaiety I want to be involved in.

Played country when I needed the money years ago. NEVER AGAIN!

Russ

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online