SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#247776 - 11/09/08 06:02 PM When will Yamaha ever catch up & include a touch screen on the Arrangers?....
Dnj Offline

I love my Roland E60 touch screen it makes editing so easy once you get used to it you can never go back.....Yamaha seems to just ignore this great feature.....why?

#247777 - 11/09/08 06:07 PM Re: When will Yamaha ever catch up & include a touch screen on the Arrangers?....
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Touch screens rule..

who wants to touch a button to the side of the screen ..when all you have to do is touch the item you want..right on the screen....ROLAND RULES in a BIG way...

#247778 - 11/09/08 06:14 PM Re: When will Yamaha ever catch up & include a touch screen on the Arrangers?....
Fran Carango Offline

Seriously on a side note....How many folks still believe that the Roland operating system is NOT better than Yamaha or Korg and even Ketron....for shear ease of doing what you want to do..I believe know one does it better...

Any other views.....from someone that has experience with all..

#247779 - 11/09/08 06:25 PM Re: When will Yamaha ever catch up & include a touch screen on the Arrangers?....
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
I think you two guys need to get married...

#247780 - 11/09/08 06:27 PM Re: When will Yamaha ever catch up & include a touch screen on the Arrangers?....
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Yamaha prefer to pack a LOT of info on the screen at the same time, especially the MoXS series. You'd have to have very tiny fingers to not end up pressing the wrong thing all the time, IMO!

Touch screens got a pretty bad rep from when they first appeared in keyboards... they were slow to respond, unreliable, harder to read. Things have definitely improved since the Triton days!

I just wish they were bigger, and could display more, and STILL have room for you fingers. That new FantomG display is lovely! Can't wait to see that on an arranger!

Maybe a combination of touch screen for live use, with big enough areas for the fingers to be reliable, and then a mouse input for doing detail work, like sequencing or style edit/creation, where you want to see a LOT of things at the same time... Now THAT would be cool!

As to the fanboy comments from Fran... sorry, but I think EVERY arranger has some strong points and some weak. It is up to US to make sure that flaws are not concealed in the name of one-upmanship. Roland have my thumbs up for things like the Makeup Tools and sequencer, but fall behind with things like the lack of multipads and some odd operational things (that damn ACC cutoff on Chord Type change, for one), so there is no one dominant OS, IMO.

#247781 - 11/09/08 06:32 PM Re: When will Yamaha ever catch up & include a touch screen on the Arrangers?....
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I have no use for touch screens on an arranger, and I am glad Yamaha has chosen not to use them on their products.

Biggest issue is no tactile feedback...users cannot feel the buttons they depress and hence must look at the display while entering information.

Roland's OS is no worse or no better than other OS systems...it's just different.

It's all what you get used to...I found the E60/G70 very easy to navigate...except for the touch screen...and nearly as easy as the Yamaha system, which is what I prefer.

Ian

#247782 - 11/09/08 06:34 PM Re: When will Yamaha ever catch up & include a touch screen on the Arrangers?....
Fran Carango Offline

As an example..you are playing a style..you want to change the drum kit...and lower the level of the snare.....Now how many measures pass by, on your arranger before this comes to be.....?Can you even do this with your arranger?

This is the OS I am talking about...Fanboy..

#247783 - 11/09/08 06:34 PM Re: When will Yamaha ever catch up & include a touch screen on the Arrangers?....
Dnj Offline

Lack of multipads is a welcome feature IMO ...isn't bad enough styles in general are very repetitive....then you want to add some cheesy canned MPad loops to make it even worse....its like giving a junkie more heroin

#247784 - 11/09/08 06:35 PM Re: When will Yamaha ever catch up & include a touch screen on the Arrangers?....
Fran Carango Offline

G70 touch screen actually talks back to you as you select..

#247785 - 11/09/08 06:41 PM Re: When will Yamaha ever catch up & include a touch screen on the Arrangers?....
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
What does it say, Fran...."oink"?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online