SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#247761 - 11/09/08 05:30 AM Other ways to generate income...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Last week, I had a conversation with a long time client who remarked that I should start a talent agency for NH performers. This AD is tired of getting burned, tired of not quite knowing how to tell someone to please stop calling...we're not going to use you, and several other parts of managing the entertainment they need. They felt with my experience and understanding of "what works" I'd be a good guy for the job...

I pointed out that there are some drawbacks for this idea on her end...such as a new expense...Something most AD's need to avoid at all costs...Talent Agencies almost always increase the cost of doing business, IMO...

For me, its not that appealing of an idea. I've no complaints on my bookings and to take on channeling everything entertainment wise through me for X number of places sounds like some administrative headaches I don't want or need. If I did it, I'd need to take it real seriously and that could become a whole thing in and of itself. I already have a FT job, not looking for another. I doubt it would be as lucrative. I also don't think I want to become the guy who tells a handful of other acts in this market-some who I have the highest respect for-that something is wrong with their act, or whatever..

If there's anyone out there who has or is doing this and enjoys it, please weigh in...maybe I'm selling the idea short.

That said...maybe a discussion of how some of us generate additional revenues via our music without us being the primary entertainer.

I've picked up some cash along the way backing up other singers and instrumentalists...I'm sure many of us could offer some demo services, some of us teach, score for industrial films, etc...

Comments?

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 11-09-2008).]

#247762 - 11/09/08 09:21 AM Re: Other ways to generate income...
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
For the past year, I did it for the supper club where I play. It is a thankless job. You make people mad if you don't use them.
The major plus is that you can book yourself for the times you have available.
DonM

#247763 - 11/10/08 08:09 AM Re: Other ways to generate income...
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I've always made lots more doing film scores, for the films I produce but I get most of this work after people hear me live. I also book my larger band quite a bit. The gig's start at 9:00 PM and I show up about 11 PM after my earlier 6:30 to 10:30 job. I work thru 1-2 AM. The group usually plays more subdued stuff until the third set.

I also do lots of session work for other producers of commercials and other videos, so that's another music related income stream.

R.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online