SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#247263 - 11/21/08 01:10 PM Re: Considering Bose L1
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Hi Bernie, and thanks for those tips...
I am using external controls for vocals (rev, comp, gate etc ) so perhaps I might get away with either my current mixer, or maybe even none at all...I agree the Tonematch is an excellent bit of gear, but the budget is stretched really thin now, so unless I can find one s/h it is not in the plans.

Dennis

#247264 - 11/21/08 02:03 PM Re: Considering Bose L1
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Dennis,

You can run get all the vocal effects, as well as the keyboard effects, EQs, etc from the keyboard, then just fire it directly into the L1. I wish I were there to help you set up the system, but unfortunately, this is not in the cards at this time.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#247265 - 11/21/08 02:31 PM Re: Considering Bose L1
miden Offline

Thanks Gary.

From your reply I deduce that this is in fact how you are using it, direct from the keyboard to the L1. And to be honest that was the way I had envisaged using it myself.

I just needed some confirmation from current users.

So that really answers the question, that it can be done successfully with the L1 system.

Good. One less bit of gear and associated cabling to take to a gig.

Cheers
Dennis

#247266 - 11/21/08 04:11 PM Re: Considering Bose L1
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
So many that don't like the system, even when they have tried it, are told that they didn't set it up right...

So maybe to help out those trying one out, Gary, do you have some quick Tips and Tricks to help anyone with only a cursory knowledge of the PAS (like a newbie) how to avoid the worst of these?

At least then those that don't like it will be able to say 'No, I tried your quick setup tips, and still didn't like it' or else 'Those tips made all the difference, now I LOVE it!'

Rather than getting accused after the fact that they can't possibly have it set up right, because they didn't like it!

#247267 - 11/21/08 04:33 PM Re: Considering Bose L1
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
Gain Staging is of paramount importance.
Run your Master volume at a decent output so you don't have to push your individual Channel Gains/Volumes.

I wish I had more detailed advice but I'm not familiar (enough) with the Model 1 to give you expert help.

I must say though, use the Bose forums - especially their "find" (search) function for any topic you need.

If you can't find help on THOSE forums for any problem you might have, there's something wrong...

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#247269 - 11/21/08 06:11 PM Re: Considering Bose L1
miden Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by hellboy44:
Gain Staging is of paramount importance.
Run your Master volume at a decent output so you don't have to push your individual Channel Gains/Volumes.

I wish I had more detailed advice but I'm not familiar (enough) with the Model 1 to give you expert help.

I must say though, use the Bose forums - especially their "find" (search) function for any topic you need.

If you can't find help on THOSE forums for any problem you might have, there's something wrong...

That's the second person to mention the gain staging, so it's something I will pay close attention to, thanks Hellboy.

This really is a different beast to the "normal" PA setup. it's all rather exciting really.

And those Bose forums are great. It was because of the information I found there, and the great help from you guys that really made a difference in me deciding to go for this system.

Dennis

#247270 - 11/21/08 07:14 PM Re: Considering Bose L1
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The best Gain Staging information is contained within the instruction manual. However, you can find some more details on the procedure Here .

In my setup I set the PSR-3000s master volume at approximately the 1-O'clock position, which seems to provide the best signal to noise ratio from the keyboard's outputs. Then by following the instructions in the manual I set up both the L1s left and right channels accordingly. When the indicator lights turn red, back off the L1's channel gains until they hold a steady green, then you are ready to go. At this point when increases in volume are needed the only gain control you will use is the master volume of the remote.

Keep in mind that this is NOT a conventional sound system. If it sounds a bit loud to you it will sound equally loud to the audience. The falloff is minimal throughout the venue, which is something to take into consideration when setting the master volume.

As for the presets, these will vary with each venue. For the most part, 05, 55 and 57 are pretty much standard for keyboard and vocals going through the keyboard's vocal processor. Of course, your keyboard's EQ settings and your onboard vocal processor EQs will have some bearing on the overall sound as well.

I try to be as efficient as possible when it comes to setups. I do not use a mixer and do not set up a guest mic unless it is requested in advance of the job. If I need a guest mic I fire it through a small mixer and into channel 4 of the L1. Channels 1 and 2 are strictly for the keyboard. Channel 3 is used for the audio output of the laptop for Mp3s which are used before I begin a performance and during short breaks on longer jobs.

I personally know a couple dozen individuals that have purchased the L1. Of them, only 2 have returned the system, and one of the 2 never set the system up using the gain staging technique outlined in the instruction manual. Some are OMB keyboard players and vocalists, while others are guitar players using either backing tracks or drum machines while singing. Nearly all said they would never go back a conventional sound system.

I have two backup systems here--the Logitech Z-5500 and a single Barbetta Sona 32C. The closest in sound quality to the L1 is the Logitech Z-5500. The Barbetta Sona 32C, which I previously owned before purchasing the L1, is an excellent, CONVENTIONAL, sound system. It is Bi-amped, 450-watts RMS and really packs a punch. However, IMO it does not provide the clarity and distinct individual sounds of the L1, and I have played using both extensively.

Hope this helps,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#247271 - 11/21/08 07:37 PM Re: Considering Bose L1
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I do use an external mixer most of the time. I never know when I'll have guest singers or the occasional instrumentalist.
I have a little bitty Behringer, a big Behringer, a Peavey and a Yamaha. They all work fine with it.
I leave the Bose flat (setting 00) and do and e.q. ing from the mixer. Most of the time I run everything pretty flat. It doesn't need much e.q. help.
DonM

#247272 - 11/21/08 08:57 PM Re: Considering Bose L1
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
There are some jobs I play that are so small I will use a Roland KC350 amp/speaker. The Bose would be great for any job...but some of these 1-hr jobs are so small (and "budget conscious") it is just easier to plug in the KB and amp and leave all the other gear in the van.

For most jobs however, I run my keyboard, mic, MP3 player or laptop , my female singer's mic (when she is with me) into a mixer. The L/R output of the mixer goes into Channels 1 & 2 of the L1.

If the venue requests a mic for announcements, I will set one up and run it into channel 3 or 4. I don't use commercial CD's, but channels 3 & 4 are just fine for CD's because commercial CD's have already been tweaked in studio.

So, for channels 1 & 2, I, most often, use presets 12, 55 and 57 depending on the venue's acoustics...but DonM & Gary have me considering going flat 00 and adjusting any FX within the keyboard.

For the mics, I add needed reverb or other FX at the mixer. And the mixer has a "Talk" button, which was eliminated on the PSR 3K. THAT comes in real handy.

There are umpteen ways to do just about anything. I like to experiment, hear what other guys are doing, try it and then settle in on what seems to be most comfortable.

As for tips and info on how best to use the Bose L1, the site Gary posted and the user forum are a wealth of information.

Eddie

[This message has been edited by btweengigs (edited 11-21-2008).]

#247273 - 11/21/08 09:32 PM Re: Considering Bose L1
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
Just as an interesting Sidebar:

We've recently purchased a new vocal Mic for my wife (an AKG D7 - a close relative to the respected D5) and she's having trouble adjusting, too explain -

She previously had an SM-58, which of course either eveyrone has, or has used one at LEAST once, but it's just not cutting the Mustard anymore, too boomy, lacking in clarity, and, let's face it, is (essentially) 30 year old technology, and compared to the quality and detail of the D7 - a Dynamic mic that has more of a Condenser mic quality - it's like singing through a boomy sock when it's all said and done...

So what's my point?

Well I don't know if it's been said before (hell, maybe I've mentioned it in this very thread) but one other thing about the Bose: it is a fairly transparent PA, and doesn't really do much to colour the sound, so you will hear with much more clarity (a) your voice (b) your playing (c) the general sound quality of your equipment, so please be prepared for that Dennis. Some people would hear themselves and not really like what they hear (hell, I'm one of them) and if a singer the caliber of my Wife feels a little uncomfortable with the jump in clarity - particularly with the AKG mic, (you'll just have to take my word for now that she's a decidedly above average vocalist) then it's something for all of us with a Bose (ME in particular!) to consider - this system keeps you on your Vocal and Musical toes, and some people may not like how they *really* sound...

(Please take this post in the spirit in which it is intended, I'm probably a very average vocalist and player compared to some on this board....)

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online