SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#247251 - 11/10/08 07:30 PM Re: Considering Bose L1
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
Yes, it's interesting to note (if you wanted to know - and I suspect you do) that the extra Sub doesn't change the overall sound of the L1 and make it too Bass heavy.

To explain - the extra sub gives you more headroom, but no matter how many subs you attach to a system (say 1, 2 or even 4 with the extra Paclite Amp) the system "self EQs" to be foolproof and maintain a consistency of sound (maintaining a stable Bass-to-treble ratio). At first I didn't really like this idea as I felt it takes the "choices" away from me, but then I realised two things.

1. I am a fool, so being foolproof is not a bad thing, or to be more serious, it's hard to get a Bad sound from whatever number of B1s you have.

2. You still have complete EQ control over the system via your Mixing desk (through The T1 or other mixer) so you really CAN "mess up" the sound as much as you want.

Anyway I probably didn't explain that very well so here's a more useful cut n paste from Bose's online Forum regarding the Auto EQ feature:

" This is based on the design goal that 'You should always sound the same; no matter how much Bass stuff is attached' "

or to go further:

"What this complex behavior does is the following. No matter if you attach 1, 2, or 4 B1s, you will get pretty much the same balance between all combined B1s and the L1s. It’s a little off for 3, 5, 6, 7 & 8 B1s, but still reasonably close.

It’s true that the user doesn’t have to re-EQ our systems if you add more B1s or even a PackLite with another pair of B1s. But that’s unique to our system, because we were actively measuring the number of B1s attached. So re-EQ is required, but the system is doing it by itself without any user involvement required. "

I find that reassuring and kind of cool - there's all sorts of smart Electronics/Processing going on behind the scenes with the L1........

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#247252 - 11/10/08 07:35 PM Re: Considering Bose L1
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Pseudo-Mono?

Any empirical testing done to confirm that, or is it anecdotal?

Diki,

I'll be more than happy to email you the schematic of the 3000 and T1 which is where this information was derived from. All you'll have to do is look carefully at the schematic, paying particular attention to the audio output section of the circuitry. There is also a block diagram showing this on their repair CD.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#247253 - 11/19/08 11:11 PM Re: Considering Bose L1
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Well I just bought the Bose L1 mark 1. The second hand one.
The owner convinced me it was in perfect condition, and as it came with a second sub speaker, the price was very good I thought. Approx $1200 USD.

I just couldn't justify the extra $'s for the mark II version, especially as new they are $3400 AUD and then a sub box is an extra $560 and then a further $700+ for the Tone Match box.

I think this system will do the job for me.
And I am REALLY looking forward to NOT having to carry 2 power amps two top boxes a 35 kilo sub, speaker stands, cabling, all the power points and power leads for all the above gear..etc etc LOL!!

Anyway, just wanted to let those who helped me with a lot of advice and thoughts know that their comments were not wasted

Thanks again to all.

Dennis

#247254 - 11/20/08 03:26 AM Re: Considering Bose L1
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
That's great Dennis.

Look, I have no real problem with you buying the Model 1, have at it!

(Does seem like a great price btw, and I forgot about the American vs Aussie dollar - sounds like you did a smart thing....)

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#247255 - 11/20/08 06:51 AM Re: Considering Bose L1
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Dennis,

The best advice I have is to be sure to follow the setup instructions on Gain Staging to the letter. You really found a great bargain and if it were available here I would have jumped on it in a heartbeat--just to have a spare.

Keep us posted,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#247257 - 11/20/08 10:34 AM Re: Considering Bose L1
coca Offline

Guys,

I used my Bose L1 model 1 as my christmas tree last year. Check out the picture on the link below.
http://bose.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/292105355/m/1961085234

coca

#247258 - 11/21/08 10:36 AM Re: Considering Bose L1
miden Offline

Just one other question if I may...

How many of you use a seperate mixer with the L1 system? Or do you just run direct into the Bose and then use the remote control?

Thanks
Dennis

#247260 - 11/21/08 12:05 PM Re: Considering Bose L1
miden Offline

Thanks Brian... I did seriously look at adding a tonematch to this system, but it would have required another "wall-wart" power supply (It is only on the system II that it can draw power interanlly).. And it was $740 extra(AUD)!!!.

And as that is the official and ONLY Bose price, from whatever dealer you talk to, it was too expensive.

I have been reading that the L1 has a gain system and I would only be using 2 channels, so I was hoping to get away with one bit less in gear.

Dennis

#247261 - 11/21/08 12:09 PM Re: Considering Bose L1
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Hi Dennis
I use the Tonematch with my model 1 i I want a little reverb or compression with my vocals, and when I have other gear and players to accomodate. You do have better control with the Tonematch for separate EQ,reverb. Also, I find the "Scenes" handy as I have different setups for different venues. I can configure each in a scene and instantly change cofigurations.

Sometimes I get lazy and just use the remote when I have a small simple gig. Either way, I find my Model 1 all I ever need.

#247262 - 11/21/08 12:24 PM Re: Considering Bose L1
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
One other thing hit me when I reread your question about a separate mixer. You don't have to use a Tonematch mixer. You can run any mixer through the Bose, but you don't take advantage of the customized instrument settings(presets). I sometimes have my mic in ch1, keyboard in ch2, and my Mackie 1202, that I leave at one of my jobs, in ch3. I can have EQ,preset and volume on1 and 2, and master volume control on 3, with the rest controlled by the mixer.

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online