SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#247227 - 11/04/08 07:39 PM Re: Considering Bose L1
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Hi Hellboy,
yes m8, crystal..I too play on stages that would barely hold a guitar stand let alone one or two people LOL, so I hear what you are saying!!.

Thats the info I need on feedback..It was, strangely enough pretty the same thing the sound guy said, but the way he said it made the Bose out to be crap because it did it.. And I DO think he was steering to other products where they get a "mark-up" and not just a "tiny", his words, commission only.

I am getting more and more drawn to this system, and the simple elegance and ease of use appeals as well. I always liked the sound of the 802 systems, so the Bose PA sound is not a problem.

With a 20kg keyboard to lug now, I want the other gear to be as small as possible.

Thank you also to BBBB for your corroboration of Hellboy's comments, I really appreciate it.

Also a BIG thanks to everyone who took the time to post an opinion or some factual data, it has all helped greatly.

Cheers
Dennis

#247228 - 11/04/08 07:40 PM Re: Considering Bose L1
miden Offline

Hellboy, the system is an L1 with two sub boxes.

Dennis

#247229 - 11/04/08 07:41 PM Re: Considering Bose L1
Dnj Offline

#247230 - 11/04/08 07:44 PM Re: Considering Bose L1
miden Offline

Donny you are a gentleman..thank you very much for that link.

Dennis

#247232 - 11/04/08 08:04 PM Re: Considering Bose L1
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
Donny you are a gentleman..thank you very much for that link.

Dennis

lots of good info there for sure.

#247233 - 11/04/08 08:11 PM Re: Considering Bose L1
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Dennis,

In nearly three years of using the L1 I have never had a feedback problem. I believe the reason behind this is first and foremost the type of mic I'm using. I currently use a Crown CM-311A headset mic, which during most jobs is just four-feet to my right and slightly behind me. Previous to using the CM-311A I used a Samson Q7, which is an outstanding handheld mic. I have also used it with the Countryman headset mics, and because of their unidirectional pattern they did produce feedback. I also had a problem with the SM58, but it was not as noticeable. Most super-cardiod and hyper-cardiod mics seem to work just fine. Unidirectional mics, even when used with conventional systems, seem to encounter feedback problems.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#247234 - 11/04/08 08:52 PM Re: Considering Bose L1
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
Quote:
Hellboy, the system is an L1 with two sub boxes.

Dennis

L1 really is the "new" name of the PAS (not referred to as the PAS anymore) so are you getting/looking at the Model 1 or Model 2?

Model 1 has a heavier & bigger Base on it, and a narrower (for a Bose) field of spread soundwise.
Model 2 has articulated drivers for a much wider spread of sound and has a lighter more compact, foldable Base.

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#247235 - 11/04/08 09:10 PM Re: Considering Bose L1
miden Offline

They tell me it's a Series 1, so I guess that means Model1 as well?

Dennis

#247236 - 11/04/08 09:52 PM Re: Considering Bose L1
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Thanks KF...I guess in truth, I don't need the amount of available power I have, but as I said, I have ALWAYS been a believer in available headroom and not running a system to it's max.

From all I have been able to deduce these systems do sound excellent and are a lot easier to both transport and set-up/knock-down.

Can you let me know how you think they sound using your T3 for example? Point of the question being when using styles/smf's do they sound more like a home stereo system (in mono of course) or do they really "cut-it" as a viable PA?

More for ambient "cafe" style music or solid R+R/Pop?

I know they're difficult questions, (like how long is a piece of string!!) but with you experience I think you will know where I am coming from with it.

Thanks
Dennis

[This message has been edited by miden (edited 11-04-2008).]

Jerry claims he gets the "chest Thump" with two of the Bass modules. I don't see the system delivering anywhere near what 600 watts each into a pair of 18" Yamaha Subs.

The Tyros sounds like a very Loud and quality HiFi System. Stereo is not an issue, The benifits of the system inclusing the sound, transport, and set up far outweigh the lack of stereo in the venue. No one has asked my wife who primarily uses the system why the sound is not in "stereo". People are actually surprised at how good and even it sounds no matter where they are sitting or moving in the room.

I don;t expect a stereo mix when I see a live band in a big venue, In fact I would hate it if I was not sitting in an area of equal distance to both sides.

The Bose System in my opinion is more than adequate as a viable PA System in fact it sounds better than many conventional systems in clarity and especially in consistency throughout the venue.

Read the Bose forums. You will read many examples of those systems being used in large venues, outdoors and by individual band members. They get scooped up quickly ion Ebay for not very much off list price therefore you really don;t have but maybe $700 invested in a $3000 system. The rest you can get back easily if you wanted to sell the system. Can't say the same for a conventional system that is much more difficult to sell.

They can be used for both Ambient sound and Rock/Pop. We have never turned the system up past 50% indoors or out. Bose USA offers a generous 45 days to decide to keep it.

That says a lot about what Bose thinks your decision will be.

Bottom line. Very few are disappointed. Those who are may not know how to properly set the system up using the Tone Match. Others are stuck in "Stereo." I would buy another if I though it would make that much difference to have a stereo mix. Two systems don't take up much more room in the back seat than one....But it really won;t make much difference and would be a waste of money. One system is enough for any venue a Single or Duo would ever need. Unless they are Simon and Garfunkle.

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 11-04-2008).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#247237 - 11/04/08 09:59 PM Re: Considering Bose L1
miden Offline

Thanks KF good stuff!!

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online