SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#247198 - 11/03/08 10:51 AM OT....A poor man's Bose PAS
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Hello all,

Just wanted to share with you some pictures of a fun little project I gave myself over this last summer....to build my first line array speaker system.

I've got a bunch of pictures I took while building it and I've placed them on a separate web page.

Click Here

Two 4-foot towers each loaded with 14 Altec Lansing drivers. We're talking real cheap computer speakers here so my expectations for high fidelity was fairly low. Much to my surprise, they've got a great mid-range sound and just like the Bose towers, the wave launch travels farther out before fading. In fact, my neighbors get a kick out of me making them walk across the street and into the next yard and yell back when they start to lose volume. But midrange is about all they got. No highs, no lows, and it doesn't get REAL loud. I'm sure the quality of the driver has a lot to do with it. They do fill my garage with some nice sounds and they compliment my other (even cheaper truck box) speakers.

Another aspect I've been experimenting with is their orientation. The Bose tower stands vertically and fills up the horizontal plane. I'm laying mine on their side, horizontally, and let them fill the vertical plane.  .With this config, I do have a left & right aspect so I am running them in stereo. Granted you won't get an accurate sound stage but you do get proper steering (left & right information). Don't know if it means anything but that's how I'm running them for now.

Have a look at the other pictures if you get a chance. Enjoy......

-mike

#247199 - 11/03/08 10:57 AM Re: OT....A poor man's Bose PAS
Dnj Offline

Mike You da man baby!!! Oh yeah......bring that with you to the Jam in January when you drive down I wanna hear it.....can you add a power sub to it also?

#247200 - 11/04/08 12:15 PM Re: OT....A poor man's Bose PAS
Dnj Offline

btw Mike what R U using for a base?

#247201 - 11/04/08 12:32 PM Re: OT....A poor man's Bose PAS
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
You just stand there and hold it!

#247202 - 11/04/08 05:44 PM Re: OT....A poor man's Bose PAS
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Seriously cool, Mike, that's lots of work! You've been very helpful regarding sound info (scuse the pun), I hope this works out for you.

It would be interesting for someone to see on the little Bose speakers in the L1 and note the quality. Or lack of it.

#247203 - 11/04/08 05:55 PM Re: OT....A poor man's Bose PAS
Dnj Offline

This is where I get my replacement speakers

could be useful for you.....
http://www.partsexpress.com/speakers.cfm

#247204 - 11/05/08 02:26 PM Re: OT....A poor man's Bose PAS
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
btw Mike what R U using for a base?

The garage floor.

I didn't build a base (yet) cause I didn't plan on leaving them in an upright position. My plan was to lay them on their side using utility hooks fastened to the garage wall.

If I go back to an upright position, yeah, I'll have to build something. It's probably not a good idea having them so close to a wall like they are now.

Hey Semi, IMHO the drivers used in the current L1 are probably pretty decent drivers. I think Bose makes their own drivers and I doubt that they would skimp on their PA gear but who really knows (they do).

Things I'd do different...the drivers should be mounted on the outside of the front faceplate, not on the inside. Problem was, the foam gasket on the driver itself was already attached and trying to pry it off only destroyed the gasket. That's what ya get when you use an existing driver for a different design.

And yeah Donny, I use the Parts-Express all the time. Don't hold your breath thinkin' they're coming down to Shreveport.

-mike

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online