SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#246790 - 10/30/08 07:23 PM Roland Question. E60/Juno Stage.
Falberto347 Offline

Loc: Perth Amboy, New Jersey, USA
Helo,
I need help from the Roland experts here.
I read in another post, that the E60 has several Grand Piano sounds. Does it have both the Superior Grand and the Fantom-X Grand piano sounds? Are the sounds as good as in the RD-300GX stage piano?
I'm a happy Korg Pa-800 owner, but love the sounds on the RD-300GX, however this is too heavy for me.
My second posibility: Is the Superior Grand Piano sound offered as an SRX Expansion board, which could be used with the Juno Stage? (76 keys, Nice feel, light)
Thank you in advance for your help.

Falberto.

#246791 - 10/30/08 07:44 PM Re: Roland Question. E60/Juno Stage.
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I am not convinced the E-60 has 3 different sample pianos..I think they are just variations...They are very good, but are not as good as the pianos you mentioned..They have a superior piano, but I don't think it is the same sample used in the RD300gx..

There are expansion cards that will give you the quality of the pianos on the RD series..

#246792 - 10/30/08 09:27 PM Re: Roland Question. E60/Juno Stage.
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Sorry, Fran... they ARE separate sounds. The Superior and Classic are NOTHING like each other. But they do have a common direction, rather than one being brittle and thin and another being warm. They ALL are fairly warm, at least compared to Yamaha...

It's fairly easy to test. Start playing an arpeggiated figure or some repeated chord, and switch between the pianos as you play... If you hear more than a simple EQ change, it's a different piano. The Sonic Cell has the same pianos, and to my ears they were NOTICEABLY different.

The E60 patchlist shows all three... Natural, Classic (the G70 one) and Superior. How much compromise in the sound between the E60 version and the E80 or Fantom versions, you'll have to listen for yourself. It's tricky to tell from demos, but some of them are up at PurgatoryCreek.com (the apples to apples piano comparison site)

BUT... no, they aren't the same as the RD-300GX. At least, probably not as good, and I know some are different (because there are some rumblings about sample matching and wolf notes on the 300GX and FantomG from FantomX users)

There is an SRX board, but you probably need to compare it to the pianos already in the Juno Stage, to make sure it isn't already in it! (that new Rhodes SRX board sounds good!)

#246793 - 10/30/08 09:48 PM Re: Roland Question. E60/Juno Stage.
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Piano sound is my mind gripe with the E50. I supposed I'm used to the Ketron and/or Yamaha. I did like the one on G70 though.
DonM

#246794 - 11/01/08 11:22 AM Re: Roland Question. E60/Juno Stage.
Falberto347 Offline

Loc: Perth Amboy, New Jersey, USA
Thanks for your help guys,
I actually went back to a GC store and played the RD-300/700GX and a few other pianos and keyboards including the Juno Stage and I think nothing compares. I would have to actually hear the SRX piano expansion board, which is not possible since they don't install them for demo.
But it is also the nice feel of that keybed on the RD that makes the big difference. For me the Pa800 and the RD300GX combination is like a dream set up, if it wasn't for the weight.
So I will think about it, but in the end I will probably go that way.
Thanks,

FA

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online