SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#246488 - 10/29/08 02:03 AM Re: Let's see those studios...
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
It's kind of like taking a trip back in time. A musical Tardis trip!

I used to have a CS60 myself in the eighties. Wish I could have has a CS80, though.
Mind you, people bitch enough about the G70. Imagine them trying to lift THAT monster! Hernia's for everyone

Nice rig, though. Wish you still had the desire to use it. What happened?
I know you said you had some health issues, couldn't play much, but heck!
Stephen Hawking can hold down his own with an eye movement or two.
Surely you can at least mouse around something worth listening to?

What can we do to help you get motivated again? Seems a shame to let those toys rust in the toy closet...

#246489 - 10/29/08 11:41 AM Re: Let's see those studios...
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
my micro-studio...

[This message has been edited by adimatis (edited 10-30-2008).]

#246490 - 10/29/08 12:31 PM Re: Let's see those studios...
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Nice gear ensnareyou! That Jupitar 8 sure is purrrty You use it much?
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#246491 - 10/29/08 06:03 PM Re: Let's see those studios...
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Damn, now I'm going to have to clean it up! Until then I'll tell you what I have. I have a Roland VS 2480 which is an awesome unit that can record 16 tracks at the same time. It's portable so I do a lot of remotes at church, college, ect. I actually complete a lot of projects on it as I try and record right the first time so I don't have to do a whole lot of editing. I have Pro Tools on the computer for the fancy editing stuff. As for boards I have the G 1000, Roland RD 700 piano, Yamaha 6' grand, Tyros, and Ketron MidJay. It's a project studio but it meets all my needs. If I need to really professionally track somethng, Sheffield is a mile up the road and as an alumnus, I can rent it out for $25 per hour.

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#246492 - 10/29/08 07:24 PM Re: Let's see those studios...
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
My studio consist of 2 desktop PC's
2 flat screen display monitors..

4 Roland keyboard Cube 100's..

Yamaha DX7..

My 45 year old accordion..

Media Station..

assorted mixers..

Roland G70..

and a bunch of other stuff I didn't know I still had..

I have a desinated room in my home..that I just about live in...oh yeah 2 TV's so I can watch more than one game...

WAY TO GO PHILLIES!!!!!!!!!!

#246493 - 10/30/08 12:44 AM Re: Let's see those studios...
Modernism Offline

Ensnareyou
When I was a kid growing up, My Dad bought me a Casio MT-65, which was they keyboard that got me hooked. I guess from about 1984 I subscribed to the US Version (I lived in the UK) of Keyboard magazine. In the mid to late eighties, keyboard demos came on flexi-records on the inside of the magazine. I collected them for several years. I had a flexi-demo of a CHROMA….

I read your post today; it was a nostalgic ride through the late 70’s and early eighties. I had a chance once to play a CHROMA, when I was kid and having only seen kid’s boards, the 10 minutes I spent with that machine (on a trip to London, which in itself was a massive thing when I was about 13) stayed with me for years, until I worked the whole summer in 1985, 70’s hours a week to buy my first real synth, which was a KORG POLY-800.
You should consider opening a Synth Museum, I for one would fly to the US for another 10 minutes on a CHROMA, or 20 minutes on a PPG Wave….. But then I was convinced they made my crappy playing actually sound better. Which alas, I know not to be true.
But I have decided to get a TYROS 3, even though I know I will hate the Styles. It ticks the rest of my boxes.
Thanks for sharing

#246494 - 10/30/08 05:43 AM Re: Let's see those studios...
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Well, let's see...a Yamaha S900, a old Yamaha CS-01 analog synth, and a Toshiba laptop.

[I also have a Tyros3 and a P85 digital piano, but they are on loan from Yamaha.]

With just the S900 and laptop, I can make CDs or record MP3s for e-mailing to friends.

Ian

#246495 - 10/30/08 08:54 AM Re: Let's see those studios...
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
Not to be confused with the Chroma Polaris which sounds nowhere near as good, the Chroma is by far one of the most underrated synthesizers ever made. It's a shame ARP went out of business right before they released the Chroma. CBS bought ARP and subsequently marketed the Rhodes Chroma but it didn't sell well due to its high price and cumbersome user interface. At that time knobs were King and the Chroma had only touch membrane switches and a data slider. What seemed alien then is the norm today and finding synthesizers manufactured now with lots of knobs isn't easy.

Believe it or not I've pared way down from the musical gear I've had over the years. With the exception of Modular synths I've owned nearly every synthesizer ever made. I've been blessed to be able to own and use these fine instruments and many have gone on to new homes where they see daily use.

Some of my personal favorites are the Prophet VS, Prophet 5, Memorymoog, Chroma, Yamaha CS-60 (wish I had a CS-80 though), Oberheim Matrix 12 and XPander, PPG Wave 2.2, Roland Jupiter 8, Jupiter 6, Voyetra 8, Korg MS-20, and of course the Fairlights.

#246496 - 10/30/08 12:13 PM Re: Let's see those studios...
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Zawinul was a big Chroma user, wasn't he...?

Saw him use one (amongst a ton of other things) with the Experience in N.O.,LA.

Great show!

Played it a few times in stores, but couldn't pull the trigger at that price point. Couple of sessions using a studio's one in NY. Beautiful sounds, great action, unique approach...

OK, OK, not just the Jupiter 8, but the Chroma and the Memorymoog would all be on my 'gearlust list' from your collection.

Not sure about the Fairlight, though. Sonically, most modern things can compete, but I just never learned the OS, so I'm not sure what I'd gain using it. Was it simply the library? I know at the time it was FAR ahead of any competing stuff, but with 24/96 software samplers out now, audio quality must be a moot point.

Did you do primarily your own sampling, or was it the Fairlight library that made it the goto gear for you?

#246497 - 10/30/08 02:37 PM Re: Let's see those studios...
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
My first visit to the namm show..I believe 1985..{as an MI store owner)...I came away with 3 keyboards that impressed me the most..The Rhodes Chroma, a Wersi model I can't recall, and a Roland JX10...

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online