SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#246410 - 10/27/08 07:23 PM Re: Korg new OS
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Actually, I AM very impressed. With the SA/SA2 voices.

But, when you take into consideration what you have to give up to get them, they just don't seem the compelling reason to buy, at least for THIS player...

#246411 - 10/27/08 07:26 PM Re: Korg new OS
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dnj:
http://www.mister-music.de/demosongs/GuitarDNC.mp3
http://www.mister-music.de/demosongs/StringsDNC.mp3
http://www.mister-music.de/demosongs/TenorSaxDNC.mp3

this is the upgraded OS2 sounds......?
Oh my! Tyros 3 SA voices have nothing to fear
[/QUOTE
I liked the Nylon Guitar it's the same quality as the Yamaha's (albeit missing the Harmonics) Its sound like a differnt brand, But it's nice

The strings sounded cheesy and thin, but so do some of the Tyros 3's

The snare drum in the last track did not belong. IF this is and example of the great drums I can understand where thy might be considered so. This song is not where that snare belonged. It sounded EXACTLY the same on each hit, and it Sounded like a heavy brass snare where a maple one should have been used. The sax wasn't close to the SA2 sax.

Its great that Korg does worthy upgrades as it give's those who feel the instrument is incomplete hope.

I don;t feel there is anything about the Tyros I would want "upgraded" It is all I want as it is. I just want see and hear what those voice packs will offer.

But to compare the scope of the Korg upgrade with the difference between the T2 and T3 is a huge stretch of the imagination and reality.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#246412 - 10/27/08 07:34 PM Re: Korg new OS
Kingfrog Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I've got a feeling this is not over, yet...

Korg just gave away FOR FREE over 600MB of superb sampler content for the M3 from the Oasys library, including one of the best four-way grand pianos I have heard.

Maybe Korg could be persuaded to format it for PA2...

And Kingfrog... you're kidding, aren't you? How much did it cost a T1 owner to get SA? Or a T2 owner to get SA2? Yep, at least $1000-1500 each time.

Way to go Yamaha.

"The Korg M3 has been "Xpanded" with an updated ROM, three PCM Expansion volumes, DAW-derived editing tools, advanced KARMA implementation, plus enhanced TouchView functionality and features. "

If they add those features...Now THAT would be a hell of an upgrade. I don't see them doing that otherwise they would have done it at the same time. They gave a piece of that to the PA2x.

DNC, a search function, A polyphonic fix,score viewer,ninth drawbar.......I really don't see the MAJOR upgrade here. Looks more like some fixes and a few goodies. Certainly not worth designing another whole new keyboard around.

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 10-27-2008).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#246413 - 10/27/08 07:38 PM Re: Korg new OS
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Actually, I AM very impressed. With the SA/SA2 voices.

But, when you take into consideration what you have to give up to get them, they just don't seem the compelling reason to buy, at least for THIS player...

I understand, Diki...the ideal unit for you would be a rack mount with SA2 voices...perhaps Yamaha's next Motif will have them and the subsequent module?

A great player like you would have a field day working with these sounds

What impresses me most about the SA2 voices is the ease of sounding so darn good even without using the buttons...just playing technique alone does marvelous things to the sound.

I'll stop gushing now...

#246414 - 10/27/08 07:52 PM Re: Korg new OS
Kingfrog Offline

I'm just waiting for someone to write a Sonar INS file so I can use the sequencer to revoice my songs. The T2 is close but needs 200 plus voices added

I'm not into the whole MSB/LSB thing.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#246415 - 10/27/08 07:55 PM Re: Korg new OS
Diki Offline

You've a right to gush...

I can only hope that the next Motif series will implement the SA/SA2 voices the same way the T2/3 has. I've played the XS6, and the way they are implemented there is a shadow of how well they are for the player to play (rather than the sequencer to sequence) in the Tyros.

I heard quite some rumblings about this issue at Motifator, perhaps Yamaha is listening...?

And Kingfrog, what is your major malfunction? DNC is SA technology (maybe SA2, I haven't scoped the manual, yet). Yes, the content hasn't quite arrived yet, but you can be sure it is coming. NOBODY called SA technology on the T2 when it superseded the T1 a 'minor upgrade'!

And THIS SA technology is completely at the command of the user... I don't know if you have been watching, but this kind of technology has been around for a while on GIGASAMPLER, and there is a huge library of sound samples already developed to make the most of it. It shouldn't be long before some enterprising owner puts two and two together, and ports some of this stuff over. Maybe even Korg could negotiate for some of it (I'm sure the developers would LOVE another sales outlet)...

This, in the mind of anyone not insecure about their recent expensive purchase, is some pretty significant stuff. The more you try to trivialize this, the more desperate you sound, IMO. Give some kudos to Korg for developing this, giving it away for free, and making it user accessible....

You are not THAT bitter, are you?

#246416 - 10/27/08 08:38 PM Re: Korg new OS
Kingfrog Offline

Quote:
You've a right to gush...

I can only hope that the next Motif series will implement the SA/SA2 voices the same way the T2/3 has. I've played the XS6, and the way they are implemented there is a shadow of how well they are for the player to play (rather than the sequencer to sequence) in the Tyros.

I heard quite some rumblings about this issue at Motifator, perhaps Yamaha is listening...?

And Kingfrog, what is your major malfunction? DNC is SA technology (maybe SA2, I haven't scoped the manual, yet). Yes, the content hasn't quite arrived yet, but you can be sure it is coming. NOBODY called SA technology on the T2 when it superseded the T1 a 'minor upgrade'!

And THIS SA technology is completely at the command of the user... I don't know if you have been watching, but this kind of technology has been around for a while on GIGASAMPLER, and there is a huge library of sound samples already developed to make the most of it. It shouldn't be long before some enterprising owner puts two and two together, and ports some of this stuff over. Maybe even Korg could negotiate for some of it (I'm sure the developers would LOVE another sales outlet)...

This, in the mind of anyone not insecure about their recent expensive purchase, is some pretty significant stuff. The more you try to trivialize this, the more desperate you sound, IMO. Give some kudos to Korg for developing this, giving it away for free, and making it user accessible....

You are not THAT bitter, are you?

Hell no I HAD THE KORG PA2X for 16 weeks.
I played the Tyros 2 all day long at the store and STILL bought the Korg for $1000 MORE when I could have bought the T2 for $2300 new. The T3 changed all that. It gave me what I bought the Korg for and more. Drawbars (where they should be) Much better acoustic sounds. SA2 which is nice but its only a few voices. Far better screen with VGA out which is important to me as I did not want to pay extra for the Video out capability on the Korg and My studio is set up so I can see all my screens in front of me and not have to look left to see what the Tyros is up to.

There was nothing they could do to the PA2x board to make me want to keep it once the T3 was revealed. Against the T2 I would have kept it.

TNO IM not bitter, I just don't understand the logic of dismissing the T3 as a minor upgrade and claiming the Korg upgrade is like getting a whole new keyboard free.
Even you have to see the ignorance in that line of thought? no?

Besides that I still could own both if I wanted to if I had the room and wanted to read two manuals. I just don't need a lot of the Korg features I thought were pretty neat (dual sequencers,76 keys,familiarity with Triton thus touch screen technology etc)

I'm beginning to think there is a bias against the Yamaha because of it's success.
But thats mostly in the US. I believe internationally the Korg is better recieve for its ethnic style availability.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#246417 - 10/27/08 08:53 PM Re: Korg new OS
Dnj Offline

T3 has Drawbars?

#246418 - 10/27/08 08:55 PM Re: Korg new OS
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Kingfrog:
NO I'M not bitter, I just don't understand the logic of dismissing the T3 as a minor upgrade and claiming the Korg upgrade is like getting a whole new keyboard free.
Even you have to see the ignorance in that line of thought? no?

Well, I'm not the one claiming either...

The T3 has much improved over the T2. But, as many T2 owners are pointing out (not exactly the bastion of Yamaha bashers you would like to think!), it may not be enough to warrant the price difference (not all of us are lucky enough to only have $600/year property taxes!).

And the Korg upgrade is FAR beyond the 'minor upgrade' you tried to dismiss it as. No, it isn't a whole new keyboard (yet). The content to use this technology has yet to arrive in quantity. But anyone realistic would expect it FAR more likely that Korg would deliver the content (for free, even) than Yamaha ever will. Yamaha have already announced the expansion TVN downloads they will be SELLING, and as of yet, no word whether any of this content is possible to be SA2. I'm not holding my breath, that's for certain...

As for Yamaha 'bashing', please.... So, when you critique a piece of gear, it's a 'review', but when anyone else 'reviews' a Yamaha, it's REALLY a 'bash'? Why so insecure?

It's a great piece of gear. Just like my G70. And, just like my G70, not without it's flaws...

#246419 - 10/27/08 09:24 PM Re: Korg new OS
Kingfrog Offline

Quote:
Well, I'm not the one claiming either...

The T3 has much improved over the T2. But, as many T2 owners are pointing out (not exactly the bastion of Yamaha bashers you would like to think!), it may not be enough to warrant the price difference (not all of us are lucky enough to only have $600/year property taxes!).

And the Korg upgrade is FAR beyond the 'minor upgrade' you tried to dismiss it as. No, it isn't a whole new keyboard (yet). The content to use this technology has yet to arrive in quantity. But anyone realistic would expect it FAR more likely that Korg would deliver the content (for free, even) than Yamaha ever will. Yamaha have already announced the expansion TVN downloads they will be SELLING, and as of yet, no word whether any of this content is possible to be SA2. I'm not holding my breath, that's for certain...

As for Yamaha 'bashing', please.... So, when you critique a piece of gear, it's a 'review', but when anyone else 'reviews' a Yamaha, it's REALLY a 'bash'? Why so insecure?

It's a great piece of gear. Just like my G70. And, just like my G70, not without it's flaws...

I agree. I owned the PA2X for a fair amount of time. I feel qualified to point out the failings as they apply to my needs. I think Yamaha does get bashed a tad more than other boards. I understand why. I also believe Roland is more focused on their Pro Keyboards and really doesn't want to be a major player in the Arranger world. The E series is hard to find in the US. The G70 is over a generation older than the Korg and Yamaha products,

I know nothing about the G70 except that they were not selling on Ebay for $1800. That was my reason for passing on it, not to mention Roland does not seem to want to be a player in the Arranger world. I know how good Roland is we have an RD700 and its a great board and has great Drums and other sounds as well.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online