SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#246420 - 10/28/08 08:17 AM Re: Korg new OS
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
I think when the OS2 is out and we have some time to learn all of it....some may be more impressed than they might think?

I will tell you this...when I heard the PA2 demo's via MP3's on-line AND even in the store with high ens headphones..VS when I got it home and played it with my Mackie sound system...WOW! This baby sounds superb!

I think the DNC is a lot better than you may think...when I get it (soon) I will certainly give an honest opinion here. I can go 5 minutes from here and spend as much time as I want on a T3 for comparisons. To be honest though...I probably won't as I am not looking to keep switching every time some new thing pops out...cost too much! I already am happy with the PA2 so all this is GRAVY!

ALSO remember with the PA we can make ANY sound use DNC...not just the ones that come with OS2...could be sme fun and we will be able to create our own SA2 like voicesif we want...
I will certainly try it.

We are also told MORE OS upgrades are in the works...so I for one will not need new hardware for quite some time..

Who knows???maybe my next hardware will be PA3 or T4???

Lee

#246421 - 10/28/08 11:32 AM Re: Korg new OS
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
If these upgrades keep going the way they are, there may be a T5 before you need a new Korg

#246422 - 10/28/08 11:37 AM Re: Korg new OS
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Diki,
LOL...I hope so...I think it's terrible that some Mfg's expect you to buy a new board every 2 years for upgrades that COULD EASILY be done in the old machine IF they were not so Damm cheap in what they included when originally built.

Lee

#246423 - 10/28/08 02:52 PM Re: Korg new OS
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi ,

for an Aust. owner, it would be even worse.

If I'm not mistaken Miden bought a second hand T2 for just over $2,000 AUD?
On one of the other posts, Nick enquired about a T3 & was quoted $6,000 AUD. Apparently they mustn't be doing deals currently.

Be hard pressed to spend $3500 to $4,000 upgrading from a T2 to a T3. Bought a new PA800 for less than $3,500 AUD.

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

And Kingfrog... you're kidding, aren't you? How much did it cost a T1 owner to get SA? Or a T2 owner to get SA2? Yep, at least $1000-1500 each time.

Way to go Yamaha.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#246424 - 10/28/08 04:21 PM Re: Korg new OS
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
I never saw an automatic score generation feature that was particularly accurate, anyway. Heck, even Finale can muck it up

Look, I know it's great to play King of the Hill, but it starts to grate when others begin to come close, and they didn't even have to pay for it! Yet alone when one's cherished (and expensive) feature is totally out of your editing capability, and theirs is at their complete command...

Yes, Korg have a way to go to catch up. But at least their owners are not being soaked while they do Ask any T1 owner if he would have liked to have had SA for free... or a T2 owner how happy he would be if Yamaha made SA2 a free upgrade.. (and let him make his own TVN's that used it)

Sure, there's lots more to a T3 than SA2. But nobody's exactly crowing over a score reader, are they? 90% of all the comments about the T3 are those SA2 voices. And the revoiced styles and EQ. Nothing that couldn't have been added to a T2 with a software upgrade and some TVN's.

It's early days for the PA2X owners. But it's done and done with the T3.

Actually it's 87%....But they are worthy of discussion. The rest si an upgrade that could not have been done via software. Some of which brings it to the Korg Standards as in the Controllers. Others the new Rolands with the TFT screens. The additional voices and the new RFX engine allowing 5 EFX per style required more than a firmware upgrade.

The additional voice paks mean more to me than anything else as I don't mind paying for styles,voices and of files that I need. My time is worth more than the miniscule $3-$7 cost of styles and or MIDI files. That's one of the reasons I prefer Yamaha. I can buy anything I need without leaving the keyboard!!

Everyone has their favorites. I at least HAD a PA2X for 16 weeks, I don't see anything in the upgrade that's making me go.."oh Shyte shoulda kept the PA2x". If I really wanted the Korg Id buy a PA800 tomorrow. Everyone hears things differently no one is right.

BTW All the lower end Yamahas have score and Lyric readers....I don;t see that as an upgrade Yamaha has been doing that for years.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#246425 - 10/28/08 04:38 PM Re: Korg new OS
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Kingfrog:
Everyone hears things differently no one is right.

Except for me and you

To be honest, I've got a score reader on my G70. They are bloody useless. OTOH, a jpg or bmp reader, like the E80 has (but can't, due to hardware issues be retrofitted to the G70) is a thing of beauty.

Scan the lead sheet, link it to the style... couple of buttons for page turning, Bob's yer uncle! A nice way to get rid of fake books...

It's a T2/3 feature I wish Roland had. But, OTOH, given a choice between the Makeup Tools style and sequence editing tools and a fake book display, because I don't use fake books much I'd have to stay with the Makeup Tools, which I DO use on a daily basis...

One thing I LOVE about the Makeup Tools is that you can use it live... Play a sequence or style at the gig, and suddenly realize that the snare is a hair too loud, or the guitar part is too bassy, it's a snap to call up and adjust while you play, and then store at the end of the song. Fine tuning at the gig is the last step of polishing a mix, and the easier it is, the more likely you are to do it...

This goes WAY beyond simply dialing the volume of a style Track up or down. Just about everything, including the sounds within a kit, and all their EQ's, pitches, actual drum sounds, you name it, are VERY easily called up during playing, adjusted, and then stored. It's things like this that make me unable to change from Roland...

#246426 - 10/28/08 04:45 PM Re: Korg new OS
mc Offline

Loc: New York
Quote:
If these upgrades keep going the way they are, there may be a T5 before you need a new Korg

That’s a bit stretching it, but for Korg to release this update it’s must have seen sales decline or most likely lure potential Yamaha customers to purchase their boards, maybe some new or existing customers looking to upgrade to a T3. Don’t worry I sure that you won’t see too many of these updates, because eventually their going to want to sell new boards. I remember the Korg IS40/50 then they released the IS35, that as probably Korg’s version of updating software by releasing a new board. There wasn’t that much of a difference between the two, with the exception of the vocal harmonizer.

#246427 - 10/28/08 04:54 PM Re: Korg new OS
Dnj Offline

Quote:
One thing I LOVE about the Makeup Tools is that you can use it live... Play a sequence or style at the gig, and suddenly realize that the snare is a hair too loud, or the guitar part is too bassy, it's a snap to call up and adjust while you play, and then store at the end of the song. Fine tuning at the gig is the last step of polishing a mix, and the easier it is, the more likely you are to do it...

This goes WAY beyond simply dialing the volume of a style Track up or down. Just about everything, including the sounds within a kit, and all their EQ's, pitches, actual drum sounds, you name it, are VERY easily called up during playing, adjusted, and then stored. It's things like this that make me unable to change from Roland...

YES....YES.....YES....!

Roland's Makeup Tools are way beyond anything out there I agree Diki.....& a Very big reason why I kept the E60 also.

#246428 - 10/28/08 04:56 PM Re: Korg new OS
Diki Offline

Well, a vocalizer isn't exactly a MINOR upgrade, either!

The thing is, this is the second MAJOR feature added to the current Korg arranger generation. For free.

First was the Guitar Mode (the best current implementation of this kind of feature, IMO), and now the direct equivalent of SA voicing technology.

And, if we are to believe Korg, this is FAR from over.

In effect, it's kind of like Yamaha adding their new guitar modes and SA1 to the Tyros1. FOR FREE... No, it wouldn't make it a T3. But it'd be a damn site closer than it is now!

Any T1 owners out there wouldn't like this? For free?

Didn't think so

#246429 - 10/28/08 05:12 PM Re: Korg new OS
mc Offline

Loc: New York
Diki, agreed,

Well for me I'm no Yamaha fanatic, I don’t own T1 or T2. I own the s900 because of the price point and SA voices & styles that were included in the board that I like very much.

For whatever reason I guess Yamaha can not update T1 to include SA voicing, maybe they don’t want to, or can’t because of software/hardware, etc. But the update that Korg has now issued for free was for their current board’s pa800/pa2x. They did not extend to the pa1x/pa1xpro or the pa80. Why? lack of hardware, etc.

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online