SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#245823 - 10/22/08 07:13 PM Does anyone know about KORG DS-10
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Korg has put out a $50 app for the Nintendo DS. It looks interesting, but the YouTube demos are mainly of silly loops. Can anything serious be done with this baby? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KORG_DS-10 http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=yejsYE5uHnw

#245824 - 10/22/08 07:20 PM Re: Does anyone know about KORG DS-10
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Man..., this thing will do more than silly loops! I too have seen many of the vids.., and some of them are full songs. I'm waiting for this thing to be released here. It has been released in Japan, and also in Europe, but the US release has yet to happen. The DS-10 was originally only supposed to be released in Japan, but people went nuts when they found out and hammered Japan for a world wide release.

Amazon has changed the US release date several times on their site and the most recent one is November 4th. For the price this is a killer little pocket synth. Also the internal speakers on the DS won't do it any justice. Once you hook it up to a set of speakers it'll sound 100 times better
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#245825 - 10/23/08 05:36 AM Re: Does anyone know about KORG DS-10
squeak_D Offline

Another thing to note. When you do a search the only place that seems to show up for buying this thing is Amazon.com It's built on the Nintendo DS game platform (BUT) it's NOT a game. That's where it goes into a grey area. This isn't something the average gamer can pick up and master within a short time.

I've also checked with the big name game stores such as GameStop too. GameStop and the others don't even have this on their lists for release in their stores. I spoke with a GameStop manager the other day who looked at the DS-10 info on the web who also agreed that this is not something that the average gamer would walk in and ask for.

It's most likely going to be an online purchase only item. I'll be very surprised if we find this in game stores and the electronics section of department stores.

I'm getting one, but will probably just end up ordering from Amazon unless I see it somewhere else. I'm waiting till it's actually released in the US though.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#245826 - 10/23/08 05:55 AM Re: Does anyone know about KORG DS-10
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Thanks, Squeak. I don't have a DS, but I think I could scam one from a nephew. It would be worth a try. I'm also interested in some of the i-pod apps. I don't have one of those either, but these little machines are cutting edge.

Any more comments??? Anyone?

#245827 - 10/23/08 06:09 AM Re: Does anyone know about KORG DS-10
squeak_D Offline

This was the first DS-10 video I saw on the net. After watching this I had to go change my underwear! Watch EVERYTHING this guy is doing on the DS screen. The user control and user editing is freakin unreal for this little pocket synth. At 3:58 into the vid the guy even turns the DS's touch screen into a KAOSS pad! How freakin cool is that

You create music on this by looping. You can then chain your patterns together as well to create songs. This application is designed for "tweek'n junkies". I've been itching for a fix since I saw this vid. It's just a taste of what this thing will do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQcp2Mkt_-A&feature=related

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 10-23-2008).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online