SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#245673 - 10/21/08 05:58 PM Tyros 3 on Gig
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Played my first gig with the new Tyros 3 today. All went well, but I have to do something about adjusting the EQ settings - way to much bass. I did not think to put my speakers in back of me and discovered it was really hard to hear myself play. I have been accustumed to having a keyboard with built-in speakers which act as a great monitor. I'll make that adjustment at tomorrow's gig.

Several folks stuck around after I finished and wanted to know what equipment I was using - I guess they noticed the difference.

The large screen is sure nice to work with on a gig. I think I will be a very happy camper with the new board.

Hammer

#245674 - 10/21/08 06:42 PM Re: Tyros 3 on Gig
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
hammer - good for you ... it's nice to hear that someone is satisfied with a kb they purchased ...
May it bring you many more gigs ...
t.

#245675 - 10/21/08 07:58 PM Re: Tyros 3 on Gig
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Hammer,

Congratulations on your first gig with the T3. Did you simply select styles and sounds on the fly, or did you have your songs setups stored & called up via REGs and/or Music Finder Database?

Scott

#245676 - 10/22/08 07:10 AM Re: Tyros 3 on Gig
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
HI Hammer,

Sounds like things are going well for you and the T3 is the right choice for you. Hope you're getting some sleep too.

#245677 - 10/22/08 09:04 AM Re: Tyros 3 on Gig
hammer Offline

Hi Scott,

Before I received my T3 I downloaded the style conversion programs from Yamaha's website and converted several thousand styles. The main thing I did was convert all my "gig disks" and after I got my T3 I spent virtually all day Saturday and Sunday going over everything and making sure there would be no unexpected surprises on the gig. I am very anal about having everything well rehearsed and ready for the public.

One of my plesant surprises was how many of the preset T3 styles I was able to use right out of the box with the songs I play(mostly the old standards from the 30's-60's). Even the styles left over from previous keyboards sound much better on the T3 and most have been reworked and some(but not all) of the strange voicings have been improved.

For me the T3 is going to be an outstanding upgrade that will handle all the musical requirements I will demand from it. It is the first keyboard I have tried that really does that for me without having to make a lot of changes.

I got a kick out of the thread about the pianos. I spent years playing symphony work and I have yet to hear two grand pianos that sounded the same. Sort of silly in my opinion to make that comparison - but I do agree that the pianos on the T3 are darker and not as bright as on other Yamaha keyboards.

Have a great day - I will post my gig experieces this week for those interested. I have 6 gigs this week and will use the T3 for all of them. It should give me a good level of understanding of any small "tweaks" I might feel necessary.

Hammer

#245678 - 10/22/08 09:45 AM Re: Tyros 3 on Gig
jwyvern Offline

Quote from hammer

" but I do agree that the pianos on the T3 are darker and not as bright as on other Yamaha keyboards."

Hi hammer,
Do you not have some control over that via the mod wheel?

John

#245679 - 10/22/08 09:58 AM Re: Tyros 3 on Gig
hammer Offline

Hi John,

I am not sure about the wheel. I have not had time to explore all the features yet - I can play with that today and see what happens. I am not much of a keyboard techi - I have a lot to learn about how to get the most from any keyboard.

Hammer

#245680 - 10/22/08 10:01 PM Re: Tyros 3 on Gig
hammer Offline

Ok, solved the problem tonight. I had time to explore the EQ and CMP settings and the range of sound is awesome to say the least. I was able to "brighten" up the sound and it really rocks. I can't wait to go to my gig tomorrow. I am really excited now to get the time to really get into the EQ and CMP settings and see what I can come up with.

Hammer

#245681 - 10/26/08 07:11 AM Re: Tyros 3 on Gig
hammer Offline

Well,
I finished the week with 7 gigs - all using my new T3 and it has been a very successful week. By the 3rd gig I had the EQ settings in place and things really took off. Seldom have I had the audience interest in my keyboard like I have had this week. Usually the people are just curious about all the different sounds one machine makes. But this week I got tons of comments about how great the keyboard sounded. I relocated my speakers to about 4 feet off the floor and about 2 feet behind me and that also has made a world of difference.

So, after about 3 weeks of ownership and 7 gigs behind me I am still a very happy camper with absolutely no buyers remorse or regret about my decision.

Basically, it does all I demand of it and with great style and quality - what else can you asked of a keyboard?

This week I will get into using the sliders and the hard disk recording features - more fun!

Hammer

#245682 - 10/26/08 12:12 PM Re: Tyros 3 on Gig
Dnj Offline

Hammer....great news & continued good luck out in the trenches man!!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online