SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#245517 - 10/21/08 09:12 AM Re: Roland arrangers
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Portability is still not a factor. I am prepared to make the sacrifice!

As an arranger, the hands free aspect is very important to me. I want to play, not press buttons, and MAYBE play a bit, too! So the G70's FC-7 is important to me. Plus, as a B3 player since way back, a decent Hammond sim is important, too. The non HB (B3 sim) section of the Rolands are good, but not good enough

Finally, I just don't see the point of getting something that is ALMOST identical to something I already have... If I've got enough to spring for an E60, I've got enough to spring for an M50, or a Nord Electro, or something I haven't already got!

#245518 - 10/21/08 09:33 AM Re: Roland arrangers
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Portability is still not a factor. I am prepared to make the sacrifice!

Finally, I just don't see the point of getting something that is ALMOST identical to something I already have... If I've got enough to spring for an E60, I've got enough to spring for an M50, or a Nord Electro, or something I haven't already got!

Yep, I see your point...I guess that's why I was a bit surprised when you thought you might get a GW8.

BTW...you haven't tried the Sonic Cell?

I know conceptually it would be a nice addition to my Yamaha sound, but I'm kind of concerned the organs and rotary aren't up to at least the G70...I know the G has a problem with having the reverb as pre-rotary(I think that's what you said some time ago) and I wondered if Sonic Cell has the same issue...not a real problem , but good to know going in.

Nord make some great gear too...they have their sound for sure.

Ian

#245519 - 10/21/08 09:45 AM Re: Roland arrangers
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Of course not Donny...that's why I named at least three.

Actually, the T3 is awesome...organs, guitars(especially the Single Coil), Saxes...you name it, it great, and in my opinion, is the new standard for arrangers.

Ian

The extraordinarily good acoustic sounds is what I have always liked about Yamaha totl arrangers. I've said this before: that if the T3 had 76 keys (and better Drums) I would already own one. I'm sure there are many others that feel the same way i.e. "if it ONLY had 76 keys (and better Drums)".

If Yamaha only wants to cater to 50% of all arranger players, then that's their choice of course. They may want to reconsider though. I think they will be pleasantly surprised at the response and enthusiasm they will get from a 76 key Tyros4.

Back to Roland. I played the new Roland Stage the other day at GC. It's not an arranger per se but it incorporates some rhythm based stuff and also has an arpeggiator along with a Chord Memory function. It also has 76 keys. If I could sum it up in a few words I'd say the Stage is a Sonic Cell with keys with some other goodies added on. It doesn't have very many preset sounds though. Unless I missed something somewhere, but I don't think I did. Oh,.. it also has USB 2.0 if anybody is curious.

Best,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 10-21-2008).]

#245520 - 10/21/08 10:00 AM Re: Roland arrangers
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by keybplayer:
If I could sum it up in a few words I'd say the Stage is a Sonic Cell with keys with some other goodies added on. It doesn't have very many preset sounds though. Unless I missed something somewhere, but I don't think I did. Oh,.. it also has USB 2.0 if anybody is curious.

Best,
Mike

So you have a Sonic Cell, Mike?

Would you say the organs and rotary are equivalent to the G70 or at least close.

I don't think it has drawbars per se, but I imagine it has more than enough presets.

Having different Eletric pianos and Synth sounds are handy as well...would you also rate these as near or much like the G70.

No need of me buying anything with keys, as I already have a good choice of controllers with my S900 and P85 (I've also got a line on a mint CP-300), so a module would be the most effective way of adding to my personal kit.

T'is a pity you want/need 76 keys, as I know you would love the Tyros3...the SA2 voices are incredible (the Sax is a killer) and new guitars and organs are so much more than even the T2.

Oh well, we can always hope for an interim model with 76 keys, or a T4 with the same.

Personally, I think they should make the next S-series a 76'er.

Ian

#245521 - 10/21/08 10:34 AM Re: Roland arrangers
Diki Offline

Nothing short of a VK-8 comes close to a G70/E80. The organs in Sonic Cell and GW-8 are sampled, and then run through a Leslie sim (they do have the VK Leslie sim, but not too many parameters to adjust, and no distortion, pre Leslie). But the reverb IS post-Leslie. It's a totally different sound chip and architecture...

As I said in my GW-8 review, the problem is that most of the organ sounds already have a slow Leslie sampled into them, so running through a Leslie sim gives it a weird 'phased' sound. There are enough without, though, that if you are as picky as me, you can still dial up a few good ones.

But I feel a real B3 sim needs drawbars. Without them, it's just a preset machine.

One of the primary differences between a Sonic Cell and a GW-8 is that the Sonic Cell allows you to build your own Patches, the GW-8's are all preset. I was kind of hoping that I could create my own splits and layers that could be simply one Tone, as although there are two parts for the keyboard, they are strictly UPR, LWR or layered. You can't have two UPR sounds and no LWR. Just two whole keyboard sounds. There ARE a few patches already layered, some pianos with strings, that sort of thing, but I would have liked to make some myself...

But it's only $895 !

Mind you, the Sonic Cell is even less!

My next adventure is to try and see if I can get the Sonic Cell to work well with my aging KX-5 strap-on keyboard. It's what I prefer to go out and jam on, as it takes up NO room on stage, keeps you mostly to one hand playing (which is great if you are just sitting in with a band, less temptation to overplay!) and is cool as heck!

But it's MIDI is primitive at best...

Only two MIDI channels (1&2), only PC#'s up to 64, no CC00/32's. OTOH, the pitch strip and expression controls are the best of ANYTHING, falling under your hand in a very natural fashion for those that have played guitar or bass...

If I can finagle the S.Cell into using those PC#'s as call-ups for Performances, I can have splits and layers, and great sounds in a portable package (a REALLY portable package!) with far less compromise in sounds than my current MGS-64 Super Canvas, which is the KX-5's current module...

I'll let you know how this works out...

#245522 - 10/21/08 01:44 PM Re: Roland arrangers
greenkidd Offline

Quote:
One of the primary differences between a Sonic Cell and a GW-8 is that the Sonic Cell allows you to build your own Patches, the GW-8's are all preset.

One thing I was curious about was whether it was possible to edit GW-8 patches using the SonicCell patch editor? Or is it simply not able to resave any edits.

thanks for the indepth review.

SonicCell Playlist Editor Version 1.10 (PC) Downloads tab http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=897&ParentId=20

[This message has been edited by greenkidd (edited 10-21-2008).]

#245523 - 10/21/08 02:02 PM Re: Roland arrangers
Diki Offline

Nope... Patches are ROM only.

#245524 - 10/21/08 02:11 PM Re: Roland arrangers
Mainer Offline

Loc: Saco, Me
Sweetwater has the roland G-70 in stock as well as other roland arrangers.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/G70

Of course I can't promise it's true.

Jerry

#245525 - 10/21/08 02:13 PM Re: Roland arrangers
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Lucky2Bhere:
You have the right idea...buy one for short gigs and store it in your backpack and take out your mega-arranger on Holidays only!

Actually, my take would be to use my mega-arranger for everything BUT backpacking on the Holidays!

I am afraid I feel I'm 'cheating' my customers/audience, if I don't give them the best I have available. They certainly have every right to expect that's what they are paying for.

The GW-8 I look at as more of a 'toy' or jamming tool to take out when I'm NOT getting payed!

#245526 - 10/21/08 04:03 PM Re: Roland arrangers
Dnj Offline

Quote:
The GW-8 I look at as more of a 'toy'

No surrise there Diki.....if you ever played the Gw7 you'll know what I mean .....but many home players will enjoy it.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online