SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#245466 - 10/20/08 11:47 AM Quick T3 demo
YamahaUS1 Offline

Loc: Buena Park, CA, USA
This is just a demo I put together after hearing one of Mark Anderson's registration to show off the new guitar algorithm. I emphasized the drums to show you the new Acoustic Kit. I'm not loving the way the MP3 turned out, The bass drum in particular sufferred from the conversion. But I didn't want to send it to some pro to record, so here it is, warts and all.
http://www.box.net/shared/t6rfjbplpv

This is Mark playing, not me. Contrary to the rumors, you wouldn't want to hear me play.

Comments please!

Thanks,

Steve Deming

------------------
Yamaha Customer Support
www.yamaha.com/pacsupport

#245467 - 10/20/08 12:56 PM Re: Quick T3 demo
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Nice one, Steve (or Mark!)...

I think it's the reverb level that makes it washy, myself...

Is there any detailed info on the new guitar mode other than just the manual (which isn't exactly a primer)?

Are they different NTT's for guitar voicing, or are there other tricks involved? I'm afraid the example played doesn't really move the changes around a whole lot, so it's difficult to tell what's going on.

I am a HUGE fan of these new MIDI based performance enhancers. Correct guitar voicing, lead lines that don't jump around as you change chords... what's next...? I'm hoping for chord parts (pianos, brass, strings, etc.) that revoice to the closest inversion, rather than, if the style's original chord is root, every time you change chords, it jumps to the root of that. You know, the whole 'voice leading' thing. It should help realism out enormously...

How about a mode that takes the inversion you are playing for the ACC parts, but NOT the bass? That would make for much smoother voice leading...

Personally, I think audio loops are a dead end for quite a while (until technology can make them change to any chord in realtime, like the new Melodyne thingy), but these more accurate instrument voicing algorithms can get us SO close the point is moot...

#245468 - 10/20/08 01:16 PM Re: Quick T3 demo
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Thanks Steve , it`s always good to know that you are still around , although you may not post as much as we would like , I appreciate the file.

Sounds good !!

While you are here , what about us Mac users ???

When O When is Yamaha going to be writing software for Mac`s ???

Sure , I could run out and buy an emulator and then buy the required Windows Op Sys , but I already spent a ton of cash on my new Tyros 3.

Would you please talk to the "powers that be" and ask them for me as well as many other Mac users that also happen you enjoy Yamaha keyboards , that we want to take full advantage of ALL there features , just like Window users can.

I believe I paid for "software included" , it`s just to bad I need more software to use what Yamaha has given.

Thanks again , and take care ,

Gary 

#245469 - 10/20/08 04:55 PM Re: Quick T3 demo
YamahaUS1 Offline

Loc: Buena Park, CA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
[B]
Is there any detailed info on the new guitar mode other than just the manual (which isn't exactly a primer)?

Are they different NTT's for guitar voicing, or are there other tricks involved? I'm afraid the example played doesn't really move the changes around a whole lot, so it's difficult to tell what's going on.
B]

I imagine you've seen the reference manual, but just in case, it says that there are three transposition table to chhose from when the NTR (Note Transposiition Rule)is set to GUITAR:
ALL-PURPOSE This table covers both strummed- and arpeggio-played sound.
STROKE Suitable for stroke-played sound of the guitar. Some notes may
sound as if it is muted—this is normal condition when the chord is
played on guitar by stroke.
ARPEGGIO Suitable for arpeggio-played sound of the guitar. Using this table,
four notes arpeggio sounds most beautiful.

That is all I know about it at this point, And I think that's probably all we need to know in order to make music with it. Of course we will need to experiment in order to understand how a particular chord responds to the Guitar NTT, but the factory styles use sophisticated examples that are more comples than I will be able to improve upon, so other than revoicing and reassembling, the availble Yamaha styles will be sufficient for me.

I am not the only Yamaha person that reads this site. Your voice is being heard. But I think even though MAC has made a serious resurgence in recent years, most Yamaha customer are still using PC. I could do a survey, so we can know better.

#245470 - 10/20/08 05:11 PM Re: Quick T3 demo
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Steve,
I have had my T3 for a week now and I can't say enough about how nice it sounds live and how great the newly reworked styles sound.

One question, is there a reason Yamaha did not include a way to change the voices in preset styles on the screen that shows all the voices in the current style? That is a feature I really liked about the Korg PA1x and it would have been a really be big improvement for the T3.

Hammer

#245471 - 10/21/08 06:37 AM Re: Quick T3 demo
circuit Offline

Wow... the demo is completely drowned in reverb. Surely the mp3 compression is the least problem with this...I could supply Yammi with hearing aids.

#245472 - 10/21/08 06:48 AM Re: Quick T3 demo
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by circuit:
Wow... the demo is completely drowned in reverb. Surely the mp3 compression is the least problem with this...I could supply Yammi with hearing aids.

Thank you for posting this Demo....What bothers me is the COMPRESSED Drums that all Yamaha units have....they just don't sound like a real drummer.

#245473 - 10/21/08 08:37 AM Re: Quick T3 demo
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Thank you for posting this Demo....What bothers me is the COMPRESSED Drums that all Yamaha units have....they just don't sound like a real drummer.

Not exactly a love drummer. For for studio work many drumms are compressed. For CD's thes drums save a lot of post production work. The whole keyboard seems to be designed in that regard,

The Korg has many instruments that sound far more in your face live which would have to be tamed in a polished CD again depnding if you you are recording Standards and Pop tunes.

Heavy Rock,,,this is NOT the keyboard. I have not heard a rock guitar chordal progression I would use. I have to pull the Fender off the wall to get those. BUT the leads are great especially if you use the loop inserts to you favorite guiar processor.

The "poppy" example above is at the limit of what I would use asa rhythm guitar.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#245474 - 10/21/08 09:02 AM Re: Quick T3 demo
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Sorry, but I've yet to hear a Yamaha demo where I thought 'this sounds like a live drummer, compressed in the studio'.

To be honest, very little arranger work I've heard here makes much of a nod towards the drummer, often treating that part as just a timekeeper, rather than an integral part of the musical ensemble. You hear it in mixes (where the solo voices are always too damn loud and the drums are too damn quiet) all the time.

Maybe it's all part of not looking the drummer in the eye, and realizing that he IS at least 1/4 of the MUSICIANS on stage with you. Many of us think of him as an afterthought, just a fancy metronome (which we go ahead and ignore, anyway! ).

But listen to any popular music, and one of the first things you feel is the groove... Lose that at your peril! Not enough of us listen back to ourselves and ask ourselves 'Am I louder than the drums?', which you'll hear happening on VERY few pro pop records. Plus, of course, you get louder than the drums, and there goes your timing if you can't hear him well

Give the drummer some..!

#245475 - 10/21/08 11:07 AM Re: Quick T3 demo
JR in TX Offline

Loc: Avinger, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by YamahaUS1:
I imagine you've seen the reference manual, but just in case, it says that there are three transposition table to chhose from when the NTR (Note Transposiition Rule)is set to GUITAR:

Steve,
Is the Tyros 3 Reference Manual available as a hard copy? I would like to purchase one if you can advise. I did download the PDF version.

JR

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online