SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
#245115 - 10/30/08 02:07 PM Re: Roland GW-8 Arrives at Kayes Music Scene
kalimero Offline

Loc: Dubrovnik, Croatia
Well, without entering into discussion about value of Roland UK numbers, all wave-ROM values are correctly designated, megabytes are shown as MB, megabits as Mbit, and gigabits as Gbit.

Of course knowing correct size of wave-ROM doesn't always tell how good the sound is (although the general rule is: bigger memory - better quality), because memory size doesn't tell you how big each sample is, how big is the compression, etc...

As for the E-60, I don't know exactly, but I read somewhere that most of the samples in E-60 are mono, while majority of G-70 samples are stereo, that alone makes noticeable difference in wawe-ROM memory size.

I totally agree with horse power analogy. ;-)

#245116 - 10/30/08 03:30 PM Re: Roland GW-8 Arrives at Kayes Music Scene
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by kalimero:
Well, without entering into discussion about value of Roland UK numbers, all wave-ROM values are correctly designated, megabytes are shown as MB, megabits as Mbit, and gigabits as Gbit.

Curious... and where did you get this fact? Have Roland personally contacted you to confirm the data?

You see, to designate the numbers as correct, you HAVE accepted the value of the Roland UK numbers. Myself, I tend to be a bit more skeptical of printed 'specs', who are mostly delivered to us by the marketing divisions, not the design ones

Most of what I have heard on E60's seems to have the same Tone as the G70. Stereo pianos remain stereo pianos, etc..

But, all other things to one side, if Roland HAVE only got 64MB of ROM in the E60, they have done a damn fine job of making it sound great!

#245117 - 10/30/08 04:11 PM Re: Roland GW-8 Arrives at Kayes Music Scene
kalimero Offline

Diki,

Well if personal contact is measure for distinguishing facts from fiction, we can consider all technical information about all arranger totally irrelevant and possibly false, but I'm quite sure that's not the case.

My point was the following:

1. Roland UK presented us with the technical specifications (even though they are passed to us through marketing division, they are still technical information therefore given by someone who knows what he is saying), contrary to Roland US where there is no information about wave-ROM size (or at least it's not easy to find it).

2. For somebody who knows what are bits, bytes etc. there is no confusion, and all the information I gave in my first post in this thread (about actual wave ROM sizes) are correct (not because of personal contact, but because of the simple fact that they came from Roland official pages).

3. The confusion started when somebody (obviously not just one but quite number of them) read Mb (megabits) as MB (megabytes).

I cannot give relevant comment to the tone quality between G-70 and E-60 because I haven't got opportunity to hear them in person, but from what I've heard (and read here on the forum) on the net, G-70 sounds better then E-50/60.

#245118 - 10/30/08 05:24 PM Re: Roland GW-8 Arrives at Kayes Music Scene
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Well, the G70 has one or two (depending how you set it up) MFX insert effects units the E60 does not have, and a per-part 3-band parametric EQ that the E60 does not have (and styles edited for it), and in the past Roland have used noticeably lesser quality D/A's on lower line products (as do most manufacturers), so it's still hard to pin down the ROM size as the primary culprit in making the E60 not QUITE as good as a G70.

Who knows? Who cares?

It is STILL the only lightweight, 76 with speakers, and MOST of the good things about the G70. So, it hits a pretty well defined market spot.

Want to play a full 76 decent feeling keyboard, AND have speakers, AND not break your back moving it, AND have a few great sounding pianos?

It's basically the only game in town... 64MB of ROM or not...

#245119 - 10/31/08 12:21 AM Re: Roland GW-8 Arrives at Kayes Music Scene
kalimero Offline

Diki,

I agree 100%.

#245120 - 11/13/08 03:18 PM Re: Roland GW-8 Arrives at Kayes Music Scene
mc Offline

Loc: New York
Can the GW-8 also play user styles? Aftermarket or converted styles from EMC Style works?

Also would this board complement the Yamaha s900? I would use it as in addition to the Yamaha. The version I would want would be the latin one.

Thanks, Mario

[This message has been edited by mc (edited 11-13-2008).]

#245121 - 11/13/08 06:00 PM Re: Roland GW-8 Arrives at Kayes Music Scene
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by mc:
Can the GW-8 also play user styles? Aftermarket or converted styles from EMC Style works?

Also would this board complement the Yamaha s900? I would use it as in addition to the Yamaha. The version I would want would be the latin one.

Yes, Yes, and Yes..

Thanks, Mario

[This message has been edited by mc (edited 11-13-2008).]

#245122 - 11/14/08 07:26 AM Re: Roland GW-8 Arrives at Kayes Music Scene
leezone Offline

mc,

you live in NY/NJ?
portuguese?
you have Ketron?

would like to chat...

#245123 - 11/14/08 07:37 AM Re: Roland GW-8 Arrives at Kayes Music Scene
Dnj Offline

After breakfast Monday Fran & I will be hopefully playing a GW8 in a nearby local store that allegedly has one on the floor confirmed by our sources..hey at least its something new to try out until something ground braking comes to market at years end or beyond hopefully.

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online