SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#24487 - 08/17/00 01:26 PM JV1010 - help please!!
Sarah B Offline

Loc: Bath, Somerset, UK
I've just bought a Roland JV1010 and I'm a bit baffled as to how to integrate (midi-wise) it into my (modest!) setup. At the moment I'm just using a Yamaha DJX and Cubase, but would like to fit the JV in as well.
I've got the lead that connects it to the computer without needing a midi interface, but as I'm already using the soundcards midi interface (for the DJX), does this mean that I have an extra midi port? Can I drive the DJX from the soundcards midi port, and the JV from the assigned serial port? If I do it this way, will the DJX be able to control the JV?
OR, as I've already got a midi interface on the soundcard, do I just daisy chain the JV and the DJX, and not attach the JV to the computer? If I do it this way though, will I still be able to edit via the Sound-diver software?
OR do I daisy chain the JV and DJX, AND attach the JV to the spare computer serial port for editing purposes.
How have all you other JV1010 users got yours set up?

Forgive the string of questions, I'm confused!!

Sarah

#24488 - 08/19/00 04:48 AM Re: JV1010 - help please!!
vegas Offline

Loc: Canada
i think easiest way to link Your DJX and JV is to get midi thru box for eg.MIDIMAN 3/8 and You can edit DJX and JV on different midi channels.that's what i did and im using 3 keyboards with Cubasis VST seemes to work fine.
good luck

#24489 - 08/21/00 03:05 PM Re: JV1010 - help please!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey,

Vegas is correct in suggesting a MIDI thru box, if your like me (cheep) I'd like to save a few bucks when I can.

You can use the JV with the serial cable and connect the DJX with the MIDI cable. This will work with no problem for SoundDiver. You will have to set Cubase to use the MIDI in as it's input port, and use the serial out as it's output port.

The disadvantage to this is that to use the JV, Cubase has to be up and running to pass the MIDI signal through the computer.

What I do to get around this is to leave a cable connected to the MIDI in of the JV. When I don't want to use the computer for MIDI, I switch the JV from PC input to MIDI input and swap the keyboard's MIDI out cable from PC to the JV. The JV has to be powere off and on again, but turning it off is good to do when changing cables.

This is just an alternative to buying another box to add to your setup.

Hope this is helpful,

JJJ

#24490 - 08/22/00 10:57 AM Re: JV1010 - help please!!
Sarah B Offline

Loc: Bath, Somerset, UK
Thanks Guys!

I've got it running now - I only ever use it with cubase, so using the serial cable is fine.

I've got another question for ya though!
I downloaded the Cubase studio module from this site, and I've got it working, but I'm not sure how to use it properly. I can change patches and assign midi channels (childs) but I can't get into edit mode. I try double clicking on the patch names, but it says that the patches can't be edited cos thy're not RAM patches (?). I think I need to somehow get the patches into the user bank, and edit from there. Problem is, I dont know how to do it!!
I also don't know how to do data dumps or save performances - can anyone help??

Sarah

#24491 - 08/25/00 12:03 AM Re: JV1010 - help please!!
orange316 Offline

Loc: Hong Kong
Dear Sarah,

I'm sorry this is not replying to your enquiry. I am think about buying a JV1010 and would like to know your comment on it. Is it easy to use on a midi setup? How about the patches? Are they good?

Regards,
Stephen

#24492 - 08/25/00 11:22 PM Re: JV1010 - help please!!
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Stephen,
I LOVE my JV1010. I use it as a "utility" synth in my home studio with an X1, Em2000, G7, and RD250(for THAT Rhodes vibrato ! ! !)
I have the 60's $ 70's board in it for the organ and electric piano sounds - and it always has something for me to smile about. The "session" section that comes with it has some of Rolands nicest piano samples to date, and the patches are "meat & Potatos" useful. There is something for alomst every style - right out of the box, and It's soooo tiny ! 1/2 rack by 1U ! Can't beat it for the price.

#24493 - 09/14/00 07:59 PM Re: JV1010 - help please!!
orange316 Offline

Loc: Hong Kong
I have just purchased a JV1010 from Japan. However, it doesn't come with the English manual, Sound Diver software & PC cable. Would you guys be able to help me on this?

Regards,
Stephen

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online