SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#244782 - 10/14/08 05:50 AM Tyros 3 power supply question
sunny152 Offline

Loc: ap
Will Tyros 3 work in different AC voltages 120 volts(US)and 230 volts(UK/India)?Is there any input voltage adjustment for using in other countries?
please clarify.

Thanks,
Sunny

#244783 - 10/14/08 12:19 PM Re: Tyros 3 power supply question
Lee7 Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ, USA
You have to buy the right one for the voltage where you want to use it. I'm in the USA and the label on the bottom says 120V. The manual says "make sure your Tyros3 is rated for the AC voltage in the area in which it will be used (as listed on the bottom)."

#244784 - 10/14/08 12:19 PM Re: Tyros 3 power supply question
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
According to the Tyros3 Manual the Tyros will only work with the voltage input from that specific Country or Region i.e. either 120 (US) or 230 (UK/India), etc. The power cord on a Tyros 3 purchased in the UK would be different than the power cord on a Tyros3 purchased in the U.S. In other words, it's either / or. You can't use a Tyros3 bought in the U.S. with a 230V Power source. You could possibly "fry" your Tyros3 if you tried to do so.

There is no switch on the Tyros3 itself to be able to switch between the two voltage standards i.e. 120 and 230. You would need a separate voltage reducer/regulator if you wanted to use a Tyros3 with a voltage source other than the one it's intended for i.e. either 120 if purchased in the U.S. etc., or 230 if purchased in UK/India etc.

Korg, I believe, allows you to switch the Pa2XPRO or Pa800 between the two different voltage standards i.e. either 120 or 230 by way of a switch on the keyboard. I might be mistaken about that though. Somebody with a Pa2XPRO or Pa800 would be able to further clarify whether that is true or not.

Yamaha is a DEFINITE - "NO" though.

Best,
Mike

#244785 - 10/14/08 12:51 PM Re: Tyros 3 power supply question
TommyF Offline

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark
Quote:
Originally posted by keybplayer:
Korg, I believe, allows you to switch the Pa2XPRO or Pa800 between the two different voltage standards i.e. either 120 or 230 by way of a switch on the keyboard. I might be mistaken about that though. Somebody with a Pa2XPRO or Pa800 would be able to further clarify whether that is true or not.

Korg Pa800 and Pa2x has a switching power supply that automatically switches to the correct voltage (100-240V) and frequency (50/60 Hz). You can use the same keyboard all over the world - and Korg can sell the same keyboard all over the world

Kind regards,
Tommy

#244786 - 10/14/08 01:03 PM Re: Tyros 3 power supply question
miden Offline

Loc: The World
I think you will find that it is a switching power supply.

These started appearing a few years ago, and are now the norm. Saves a lot of manufacturing costs.

It is automatic as the power supply detects the available voltage and adapts accordingly, meaning all local distributors need do is insert a power cable into the carton with the correct "wall socket" termination for the particular country. The instrument end, being the standard IEC connector is the same for all countries.

It is very easy to tell...just look at the label above/below the socket and it will read 110-250V if it says that, then it is an automatic switching supply.

Dennis

[This message has been edited by miden (edited 10-14-2008).]

#244787 - 10/14/08 02:01 PM Re: Tyros 3 power supply question
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Dennis, this is extremely irresponsible of you to recommend this...

Did you NOT read Lee7's post, where he quite definitively stated that the label on the bottom said 120V ONLY...

Are you willing to pay anyone's repair costs if it turns out NOT to have a switching power supply (which, if it did, Yamaha would surely claim as a selling point!)?

Didn't think so....

#244788 - 10/14/08 02:29 PM Re: Tyros 3 power supply question
miden Offline

Diki I didn't say it was definitely a switching power supply, I said i THINK you will find it is..

If you read my entire post you would also have seen I said to check the label and IF it says 110-240 volts it is a switching power supply.

#244789 - 10/14/08 02:44 PM Re: Tyros 3 power supply question
miden Offline

I must admit to not noticing Lee7's post.. A bit unusual, but I guess we all miss things sometimes.

So there you go, it is a fixed power supply.

Which does highlight yet another difference between Yamaha's "Pro" and "home user" markets.

The Pro gear DOES have switching power supplies, and the home stuff doesn't..I do wonder why this is?

I have bought several Yamaha items from overseas and ALL had switching power supplies. I have never bought a Yamaha home product.

Dennis

#244790 - 10/14/08 02:50 PM Re: Tyros 3 power supply question
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Sorry for getting all up in your grill about this, Dennis, but I feel, with the 'home' users and many here who lack a certain experience with technical things, to err on the cautious side when saying stuff like that is a necessary thing.

To be honest, I have a feeling Yamaha don't go for the switching power supply thing in the 'home' market to protect their local divisions... With the internet the way it is, ordering an overseas product can sometimes be cheaper than dealing with the local dealers. This at least puts something of a brake on the practice

#244791 - 10/14/08 04:06 PM Re: Tyros 3 power supply question
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Be careful

A switching power supply does not mean the same as a universal power supply

Most power supplies for electronic equipment these days are switching power supplies, as it is a more efficient way of converting voltages, (No transformer) however it has absolutely nothing to do with input voltages supported.

You have been warned (Never assume)

Bill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online