SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#244612 - 10/11/08 09:20 PM URGENT: Just wiped my T2 HD before selling - and now it isn't recognized
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Help!

I just did a hard erase of my T2 Harddisk, and now when I try to access it using the T2, it says "Harddisk Error."

I have to give it over tomorrow morning - if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated!

Chony

#244613 - 10/11/08 09:27 PM Re: URGENT: Just wiped my T2 HD before selling - and now it isn't recognized
Dnj Offline

I did the same thing to two of them & had to buy another HD.....because you have erased the operating files in the HD.
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/013300.html

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-11-2008).]

#244614 - 10/11/08 09:40 PM Re: URGENT: Just wiped my T2 HD before selling - and now it isn't recognized
chony Offline

Damn it... Isn't there somewhere I can download the drivers for it? My Mac is recognizing it and allowing me to load data onto it...

Where can I get a really cheap drive to replace it? This one had only 12GB on it, so I'm hoping I can get that really cheap somewhere?

[This message has been edited by chony (edited 10-11-2008).]

#244615 - 10/11/08 11:24 PM Re: URGENT: Just wiped my T2 HD before selling - and now it isn't recognized
KeithB Offline

Loc: Melbourne AUSTRALIA
Wouldn't you just use the keyboard's Format feature. I would assume that will re-install the O/S.
Keith

#244616 - 10/11/08 11:29 PM Re: URGENT: Just wiped my T2 HD before selling - and now it isn't recognized
chony Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by KeithB:
Wouldn't you just use the keyboard's Format feature. I would assume that will re-install the O/S.
Keith

That didn't work. It took about 1 second to reformat, then makes me restart and still says "disk error!"...

#244617 - 10/11/08 11:44 PM Re: URGENT: Just wiped my T2 HD before selling - and now it isn't recognized
kla4 Offline

Loc: NL
The Tyros harddisk has NO Operating System on in. OS is stored in Flash-memory.
Rremember the T2 can 'live' without a harddisk....

Still wondering how you erased the HDD, using what commands/options.
What were you trying to delete and why?

#244618 - 10/12/08 12:17 AM Re: URGENT: Just wiped my T2 HD before selling - and now it isn't recognized
TommyF Offline

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark
Did you format it on a PC? In that case it is important that you select FAT32 and not NTFS.

Kind regards,
Tommy

#244619 - 10/12/08 12:36 AM Re: URGENT: Just wiped my T2 HD before selling - and now it isn't recognized
chony Offline

I don't get it. I reformatted it as MS-DOS FAT 32, but it still doesn't work on the T2 (although it does from my Mac.)

If someone knows where I can get the "operating files" that DNJ is referring to though, I can just load them directly from my desktop computer.

#244620 - 10/12/08 01:40 AM Re: URGENT: Just wiped my T2 HD before selling - and now it isn't recognized
KeithB Offline

Loc: Melbourne AUSTRALIA
Don't quite understand. Is the Hard Disk still in the keyboard? You mentioned it works on a Mac, therefore I now assume you have perhaps not tried to format it whilst it is still connected within the keyboard.
As far as I am aware there are no system files on the hard disk, the o/s is hard wired within the keyboard.
Keith

#244621 - 10/12/08 02:23 AM Re: URGENT: Just wiped my T2 HD before selling - and now it isn't recognized
chony Offline

Okay, FULL EXPLANATION:

I erased the Hard Disk while it was installed in my T2, via USB using my Mac. I used the "Disk Utilities" and selected the option that erases the HD and writes everything over with zeros so that data cannot be recovered.

Now, this erased HD works nicely on my Mac, and even the T2 recognizes it is there because it comes up as "HD1" in the format window, but every time I try to access it on the T2, it says "Disk Error!"

Yes, I reformatted it to DOS FAT 32, which means it should be in original new state, but it still does not work on the T2, and formatting it using the T2 doesn't work either.

#244622 - 10/12/08 02:44 AM Re: URGENT: Just wiped my T2 HD before selling - and now it isn't recognized
mrdave Offline

Loc: Rimini, Italy
Probably the T2 don't recognize the partiton table, try to remove compèletely the hard disk partitions (I don't know if this can be done via USB on a mac, while the hd is inside the T2) and when the hd is really completely empty, put it back on the T2 and reformat it using the keyboard.

#244623 - 10/12/08 03:31 AM Re: URGENT: Just wiped my T2 HD before selling - and now it isn't recognized
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
My HD was taken out of a Laptop. T2 did not reconise it until it was formatted in T2 then everything is fine.

#244624 - 10/13/08 04:14 AM Re: URGENT: Just wiped my T2 HD before selling - and now it isn't recognized
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Chony

As was mentioned earlier, delete all partitions so that there is no file system on it. (The same as it comes when bought new)
Put it back in the T2, (If it isn’t already) and you should now be able to use the T2 to Partition and Format it.
Hope this helps

Bill

#244625 - 10/13/08 06:30 AM Re: URGENT: Just wiped my T2 HD before selling - and now it isn't recognized
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
I'd agree that it looks like the partition table, or maybe even the master boot record, has gone walkabout.

I'd suggest using FDISK (say Y to "Large Disc support?" then create a single DOS Partition to span the entire disc) then FORMAT using an MSDOS boot disc on a standard PC with the notebook hard disc installed as the only hard disc in the PC and attached to the primary IDE channel; this will avoid any possible confusion that might occur if there is more than one disc available.

You will need an adapter to allow you to install your notebook hard disc onto a "normal size" IDE cable (which has a bigger connector); the adapter should also have a connector for a "normal" PC hard disc power connector.

There are various places on the internet from which you can download bootbable floppy disc images. Alternatively you can create a bootable MSDOS disc from XP which (I think) has FDSIK on it.

It you can't find FDSIK there's a freeware partition table manager call FPART out there that can be copied onto the bootable floppy.

If you haven't got a PC with a floppy disc then you'll need to create a bootable CD or USB stick instead. I've not managed to build a bootable USB stick yet, but I've recently had to rebuild a notebook PC after a catastrophic disc crash and I discovered "BartPE" which allows you to build a bootable XP CD. It is a process only suitable for those of us at the "technerd" end of the PC market but it does work pretty well with it's default utilities, which does include a partition table manager.

#244626 - 10/13/08 06:39 AM Re: URGENT: Just wiped my T2 HD before selling - and now it isn't recognized
Dnj Offline

Both of my old HD that T2 wouldn't recognize after I wiped them clean are still on the side of the highway just where I chucked them out the window

#244627 - 10/13/08 07:53 AM Re: URGENT: Just wiped my T2 HD before selling - and now it isn't recognized
POZ Offline

Chony:

Been there and done that. If you have connected a pc to your keyboard and formated using the keyboard, you get nada but error.

To reverse it I took the HDD out of the keyboard hooked it to the computer using a connector (HDD to USB) formated fat 32 reinstalled in the keyboard. Keyboard recognised and allows you to format back.

If you got a connector (they are about 8 bucks) worth a try.

pose

#244628 - 10/24/08 01:17 AM Re: URGENT: Just wiped my T2 HD before selling - and now it isn't recognized
chony Offline

Okay, this is how I got it to work:

I put the old T2 HD in my new T3, and did a full erase by computer via USB. Then I went to the keyboard Utilities and Formated it, and walla, it now works in the T2...

I did the exact same thing with the T2, but it didn't work. Don't know why...

#244629 - 10/24/08 01:38 AM Re: URGENT: Just wiped my T2 HD before selling - and now it isn't recognized
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Quote:
Originally posted by chony:

I did the exact same thing with the T2, but it didn't work. Don't know why...

See? The upgrade was worth the while then...

#244630 - 10/24/08 08:16 AM Re: URGENT: Just wiped my T2 HD before selling - and now it isn't recognized
ytlevine Offline

Quote:
See? The upgrade was worth the while then...

I think that if he wouldn't have bought a T3, the whole thing wouldn't have been neccessary - he would still be using the T2, and wouldn't have needed to wipe the drive.

#244631 - 10/24/08 11:02 PM Re: URGENT: Just wiped my T2 HD before selling - and now it isn't recognized
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I would just say, as a Mac user for decades that, on the whole, if you need to format an HD for use in something NOT a Mac, don't do it on the Mac!

Even booted in Bootcamp, there are often tiny things that embedded systems like hardware arrangers, samplers, you name, don't exist comfortably with. Borrow a friend's PC and do it natively (and you still read about PC users that get it wrong!).

Personally, if an HD can be formatted by the arranger, I'd do it there...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online