SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#243987 - 10/05/08 04:16 AM Please Help With My Tyros 3 and Midi / Kar Files / Thanks
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
I Guys ,

I have a boat load of midi and midi /kar files that I would like to be able to use on my T-3.

Many have been downloaded over the years of the internet and I have played them many times using my Apple computer,

Back in 2000 , Fran was kind enough to send me "Ultimate Aja" as well as many other offerings from this fine group of people , thanks again for all those file BTW

Now is a new game , how to get those files from my Mac to my T-3 ?

I tried using a thumb drive that I formated in FAT32 and loaded 6 midi files on to it.
Then I connected the flash drive to the front USB port on the T-3 and I could not load the files , in fact when I further checked , the USB drive was empty . according to my T-3.

The files are in "Quicktime" and I have no way to transfer them back to straight PC file.

Many thanks to all the help , and Fran , thanks again for all those really great Steely Dan files you gave me so many years ago , I still enjoy them !!

Take care , and thanks !!

Gary 

#243988 - 10/05/08 04:27 AM Re: Please Help With My Tyros 3 and Midi / Kar Files / Thanks
jwyvern Offline

Gary, if the files have a .mid extension (suggest you check on PC)then when you have inserted the USB stick into Ty3 press one of the song buttons, then navigate to the USB tab and any folder you may have put them in. They should then show up.
If you've done that already unsuccessfully make sure you have copies of the songs somewhere then try reformatting the stick on Ty3, copy the files to it and try again.
John

#243989 - 10/05/08 05:02 AM Re: Please Help With My Tyros 3 and Midi / Kar Files / Thanks
jedi Offline

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply !

Yes the midi files that i Have all have an extension .mid or .kar.

Using the system format on my Mac , I formated the flash drive to FAT32 and them I loaded 6 midi ( .mid and .kar ) files on to it.

Then I plugged the flash drive into the front USB port , and after I could not load the songs , in the Utility section of my T-3 I found that the drive had no data , at least non that the T-3 could under stand.

My next move will be to format the flash drive on the T-3 ,many thanks , I will try that.

I never owned a Tyros . but the last Yamaha KB that I had long enough to "dig into" was the Y2K , and I had a similar situation where I could not open a file on my mac without confusing the heck out of my PSR-2000.

Thanks again John for your help and advice , I really appreciate it ,

I will try what you suggested later if I have time and will post my results , thanks again.

Later !!

Gary 

#243990 - 10/05/08 06:15 AM Re: Please Help With My Tyros 3 and Midi / Kar Files / Thanks
jwyvern Offline

Hi Gary as you probably know already, Tyros and PSR's have to be set in the right "mode" for finding the file types you need. For instance if it's in the mode to look for styles, it will only find .sty/.prs (and the other style extensions) files. It will ignore the other extension types- registrations, voices etc.
Hence the need to press a song button first - to get it in the right mood

I've come across some difficulties before where files present on a stick formatted to FAT on my PC would not be recognised or would be read as corrupted on Ty2.
That was solved after reformatting on Ty2 and copying the files back in.
No guarantees it'll be the same in this case

John

#243991 - 10/05/08 07:06 AM Re: Please Help With My Tyros 3 and Midi / Kar Files / Thanks
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
First and foremost, the USB should be formatted in FAT--not FAT32. Next, the USB must be one that does not have it's own built-in operating system. Larger USBs, particularly those of multiple gigabytes, have been a problem.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#243992 - 10/05/08 10:05 AM Re: Please Help With My Tyros 3 and Midi / Kar Files / Thanks
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
If the Tyros can format a stick, I would probably try to do it there... Your Apple will still be able to read it correctly.

#243993 - 10/06/08 07:00 AM Re: Please Help With My Tyros 3 and Midi / Kar Files / Thanks
jedi Offline

Hi Guy`s ,

Many thanks for all your help and suggestions !!

I forgot to push the "Song 1" button.

The other thing I noticed was that of the 6 files I had loaded . only 1 song really worked good.

I had loaded:
Against All Odds and that worked great both lyrics and score.

Also loaded was Close To The Edge , that was not a .kar file but the score was there at least in part , the bass cleft.
The treble cleft was not showing any notes and it sounded really bad ,

Whiter Shade OF Pale was slightly better , but not as good as live play.

Aja , same deal as Close...

Doctor Wu = fair

Deacon Blues = fair

It should be noted that I did not do any mixing ( yet ) and that ALL the midi files sound great when played through my computer (hooked up to my surround system).

Thanks again for all your help , well mix and post later !!

Take care ,

Gary 

#243994 - 10/06/08 03:34 PM Re: Please Help With My Tyros 3 and Midi / Kar Files / Thanks
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
It is a simple fact that .mid playback on anything other than the original keyboard it was developed on is very much a hit and miss affair. Expecting a ten year old (or more) SMF to play back accurately on a cutting edge keyboard is just asking a bit much, IMO. In all likelihood, the vast majority of SMF's are going to need at least a BIT of tweaking to play acceptably, and for these files to sound their BEST, quite a bit of work will be needed...

This is where the tools your keyboard provides for editing all the main header, dynamics and drum kit assignments is of paramount importance. Arcane tools that are unintuitive, hard to figure out, and just plain clunky will tend to slow you down to the point that the work just doesn't seem worth it. I encourage everyone to take a CLOSE look at the way that Roland (always the SMF masters) have chosen to do this task (and the similar tools for reworking styles, as well) and encourage your manufacturer of choice to consider implementing something as easy to use as the Makeup Tools section of the current E and G-series arrangers.

The truth is, the vast majority of SMF's that are available (public domain or commercially) were developed on older Roland gear. Little is optimized even for Fantom or Sonic Cell, yet alone Motif or Tyros. You ARE going to have to edit to get the best out of these files (we all are!). Make some noise to make this task easier..!

#243995 - 10/06/08 04:14 PM Re: Please Help With My Tyros 3 and Midi / Kar Files / Thanks
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
You ARE going to have to edit to get the best out of these files (we all are!). Make some noise to make this task easier..!

Exactly, EVERY SMF song has to be completely redone, re-voiced, & tweaked from top to bottom on the unit it will be played on if you want to get it to sound really good of at all.......there are no shortcuts ...
do your homework then enjoy !

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online