SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#243939 - 10/03/08 09:24 PM Does the Tyros3 have a 'Piano Mode'?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I've tried reading the manual, but it's all a bit confusing...

Can you play a 'normal' piano part, and have the chords track it accurately? On Roland's, there's a special 'Piano Style' mode, where you don't get a chord change until you play three notes or more... This allows you to play solos without the chord engine going barmy trying to track what you are playing. Play a chord, play a run, and the arranger holds the chord until the next three note or more chord. It works GREAT! I can play pretty pianistically without the chord recognition engine glitching out like a madman.

But for the life of me, I can't find this in the T3 manual...

Anyone?

#243940 - 10/03/08 09:30 PM Re: Does the Tyros3 have a 'Piano Mode'?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I know the Tyros and Tyros 2 have this feature, so one could ASSUME the 3 has it.
But see how big a word ASSUME is!
DonM

#243941 - 10/03/08 09:47 PM Re: Does the Tyros3 have a 'Piano Mode'?
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I've tried reading the manual, but it's all a bit confusing...

Can you play a 'normal' piano part, and have the chords track it accurately? On Roland's, there's a special 'Piano Style' mode, where you don't get a chord change until you play three notes or more... This allows you to play solos without the chord engine going barmy trying to track what you are playing. Play a chord, play a run, and the arranger holds the chord until the next three note or more chord. It works GREAT! I can play pretty pianistically without the chord recognition engine glitching out like a madman.

But for the life of me, I can't find this in the T3 manual...

Anyone?

There are a few modes. Bass on bottom, AI mode, Root chord, single finger. the whole keyboard...
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#243942 - 10/04/08 12:01 AM Re: Does the Tyros3 have a 'Piano Mode'?
Diki Offline

I read that part, but there's nothing I can find so far that describes ALLOWING you to play something on the keyboard with one or two notes, and it NOT get interpreted by the chord recognition engine....

Any help?

#243943 - 10/04/08 12:32 AM Re: Does the Tyros3 have a 'Piano Mode'?
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
From the Tyros 3 reference manual, pag. 30:

● Chord Fingering Types

SINGLE FINGER Makes it simple to produce orchestrated accompaniment using major, seventh, minor and minor-seventh chords by pressing a minimum number of keys on the Chord section of the keyboard. This type is available only for Style playback.

MULTI FINGER Automatically detects Single Finger or Fingered chord fingerings, so you can use either type of fingering without having to switch fingering types.

FINGERED Lets you finger your own chords on the chord section of the keyboard, while the instrument supplies appropriately orchestrated rhythm, bass, and chord accompaniment in the selected Style. The Fingered type recognizes the various chord types which are listed on the Data List available at the Yamaha website and can be looked up using the Chord Tutor function on page 30.

FINGERED ON BASS Accepts the same fingerings as Fingered, but the lowest note played in the Chord section of the keyboard is used as the bass note, allowing you to play “on bass” chords. (In the Fingered more, the root of the chord is always used as the bass note.)

FULL KEYBOARD Detects chords in the entire key range. Chords are detected in a way similar to Fingered, even if you split the notes between your left and right hands—
for example, playing a bass note with your left hand and a chord with your right, or by playing a chord with your left hand and a melody note with your right.

AI FINGERED Basically the same as Fingered, with the exception that less than three notes can be played to indicate the chords (based on the previously played chord, etc.).

AI FULL KEYBOARD When this advanced fingering type is engaged, the instrument will automatically create appropriate ccompaniment while you play just about anything, anywhere on the keyboard using both hands. You don’t have to worry about
specifying the Style chords. Although the AI Full Keyboard type is designed to work with many songs, some arrangements may not be suitable for use with this feature. This type is similar to Full Keyboard, with the exception that less than three notes can be played to indicate the chords (based on the previously played chord, etc.). 9th, 11th and 13th chords cannot be played. This
type is available only for Style playback.

---------------------------------------------

So, to answer the question, "Full Keyboard Mode" is the way to go to play piano style on the Tyros 3, because it requires at least three notes to identify a chord.

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (edited 10-04-2008).]

#243944 - 10/04/08 04:53 AM Re: Does the Tyros3 have a 'Piano Mode'?
jwyvern Offline

And incidentally the descriptions for Ty3 posted by Dreamer are identical to the text in Ty2 manual (apart from the odd page reference).

John

#243945 - 10/04/08 07:19 AM Re: Does the Tyros3 have a 'Piano Mode'?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Andrea ... GREAT TO SEE YOU POSTING!!!
I sent you an e-mail but got no response ... I would like to know how you are doing ...
Please e-mail if you can ...
God's Blessings on you always, il mio amico.
t.

#243946 - 10/04/08 09:21 AM Re: Does the Tyros3 have a 'Piano Mode'?
Diki Offline

Sorry, but where, in what you posted, does it say anything about playing LESS than three notes and NOT getting a chord change?

In AI Full keyboard mode, it states that if you only play one note or two, it STILL gets a chord change...

I believe you, but simply can't find it in the posted info (it was the first thing I looked up).

#243947 - 10/04/08 09:53 AM Re: Does the Tyros3 have a 'Piano Mode'?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Basic Music Definitions:

1) Chord: a 'minimum' of 3 notes played simultaneously.

2) Two notes played simultaneously is refered to as an 'interval' and one note: unison.

On Yamaha arrangers, both 'fingered' and 'full keyboard' modes REQUIRE a minimum of 3 notes depressed to detect a chord change.

Scott

#243948 - 10/04/08 09:57 AM Re: Does the Tyros3 have a 'Piano Mode'?
jwyvern Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Sorry, but where, in what you posted, does it say anything about playing LESS than three notes and NOT getting a chord change?

In AI Full keyboard mode, it states that if you only play one note or two, it STILL gets a chord change...

I believe you, but simply can't find it in the posted info (it was the first thing I looked up).

Diki, it doesn't say in so many words.
You can deduce it from the following though, if you're unhappy to rely on inference:

"FULL KEYBOARD Detects chords in the entire key range. Chords are detected in a way similar to Fingered, even if you split the notes between your left and right hands—"

So if we can can check on Fingered and find out that it needs at least 3 notes to define its chords that should prove it I guess??

You need to look at page 29 of the smaller data manual for Ty3 where the chords detected for Fingered are listed. All require 3 or more notes.

John

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online