SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#243569 - 09/30/08 06:05 PM Tyros3 : still has pathetically low 3.2MB Internal Flash Memory
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
In my interest in possibly upgrading to Tyros3 (from T2) I discovered reading the Tyros3 Owner's manual Yamaha's continued missing feature improvement: pathetically low (3.2MB) internal flash ROM memory.

Yamaha's Music Finder is a potentially powerful feature allowing us to store and quickly call up one's entire song repetoire (many 100's of songs). MusicFinder only allows you to store a style and tempo for a given song, but on top of that, the style MUST be located in the keyboard's PRESET or USER areas only. Unfortunately USER area TOTAL memory is only 3.2 MB which means room for only 20-30 user styles. I've complained about this & made repeated requests (since Tyros1) for future models to include a LOT MORE internal flash memory but Yamaha doesn't seem to understand the importance of providing more than 3.2MB of internal flash memory, or allowing the Music Finder to link to styles in the HD or USB stick, or adding a MusicFinder feature to link its records to Registration Bank File, which would call up all settings stored in Reg such as: transpose settings, voices selection, split point, etc.

I participated in a focus group and even had a one on one recorded video consulting session with Yamaha Corp expressing these concerns yet Yamaha Japan has continued to ignore these requrests. Certainly a dissapointment (for me).

Scott

#243570 - 09/30/08 08:27 PM Re: Tyros3 : still has pathetically low 3.2MB Internal Flash Memory
Dnj Offline

Scott not good news I feel your pain!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-01-2008).]

#243571 - 09/30/08 08:48 PM Re: Tyros3 : still has pathetically low 3.2MB Internal Flash Memory
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Hi Scotty,
I just about gave up on the MFD for the same reason - I use a lot of third party styles and on my PSR3000 if I fill up the USER area strange things start happening to the keyboard. I use thumb drives for all my "gig disk" type songs and it works just fine. In fact, I am now using a smart card and it is faster then the thumb drives.

Seems like we could have gotten at least a gig of users memory on the T3 though.

I still like what I have heard and seen of the T3 and will probably replace my 3K as soon as I can get a T3 shipped to me.

Hammer

#243572 - 09/30/08 09:56 PM Re: Tyros3 : still has pathetically low 3.2MB Internal Flash Memory
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Scott my friend, there are several other good choices besides Yamaha that will do what you want.
DonM

#243573 - 10/01/08 06:58 AM Re: Tyros3 : still has pathetically low 3.2MB Internal Flash Memory
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Interesting comment... Why they can't fiquire out how to better utilize a harddrive baffles me.

#243574 - 10/01/08 08:49 AM Re: Tyros3 : still has pathetically low 3.2MB Internal Flash Memory
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by DanO1:
Interesting comment... Why they can't fiquire out how to better utilize a harddrive baffles me.

Very frustrating indeed. I can get over not having 76 keys, but not being able to better utilize the potential of the machine hardware is baffling.

#243575 - 10/01/08 09:50 AM Re: Tyros3 : still has pathetically low 3.2MB Internal Flash Memory
Dnj Offline

Steve......its a matter of the Home players needs versus the Gigging pro ......they'll go where the money is every time ya just gotta mix & match & choose your gear for YOUR own personal needs wisely for sure.

#243576 - 10/01/08 11:37 AM Re: Tyros3 : still has pathetically low 3.2MB Internal Flash Memory
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Scott my friend, there are several other good choices besides Yamaha that will do what you want.
DonM

Hi Don: I hear ya Though I'm still quite happy with my current T2 KB setup , I'm definitely keeping my eyes and ears open to ALL KB brand/model options out there, for the next keyboard that's gonna: "fly me to the moon".

Scott

#243577 - 10/01/08 02:41 PM Re: Tyros3 : still has pathetically low 3.2MB Internal Flash Memory
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Steve......its a matter of the Home players needs versus the Gigging pro ......they'll go where the money is every time ya just gotta mix & match & choose your gear for YOUR own personal needs wisely for sure.

Exactly. If you are gigging with the Tyros you may want more room for user styles. In fact the Korg PA2x is a MUCH better choice all around for gigging. For Home Recording I am all over the Tyros though.

There are a lot of other choices,. Yamaha does things as they see fit for their market. They consider the Motif the gigging market and the Tyros the Home market.

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 10-01-2008).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#243578 - 10/01/08 02:46 PM Re: Tyros3 : still has pathetically low 3.2MB Internal Flash Memory
YamahaUS1 Offline

Loc: Buena Park, CA, USA
20-30 Styles?? Scott, what kind of Styles are you putting in your Tyros? My style collection ranges in size from 20k to 85k. I won't argue with you about whether or not Yamaha could have or should have increased the user memory. I don't know what the reason for the limit is, or what the cost would've been to increase it. But, I just loaded up the T3 with Styles and I managed to fit 470 Styles in it before I ran out of memory. I imagine you've got other data in your User Memory beside styles. Most operations allow you to get and put data on the HD or the USB device, so maybe you need to rearrange some of your data. I know what a pain that is, but, let's figure out how to solve your problem without an increase in user memory, because I can't give you that. You know my # Scott, call me when you have a few minutes to talk.

Steve Deming

------------------
Yamaha Customer Support
www.yamaha.com/pacsupport

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online