SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#243305 - 09/25/08 10:18 PM Re: Check s" in the mail next Wednesday.
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
"Gentleman Don"...when I grow up, I want to be just like you!

Thanks, friend,

Russ

Old and fat?? I think you're on the way!!
DonM

#243306 - 09/26/08 07:02 AM Re: Check s" in the mail next Wednesday.
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
For your consideration the SPCA or other animal shelter in your area. In my area we have a no kill shelter called the Humane Association that is really struggling and about to close.( I don't know if they are national), but because of recent foreclosures and the economy in general people have almost stopped adopting and are abandoning their pets in record numbers.
I have 3 dogs and 2 cats that my children left me with, my daughter has 2 dogs 3 cats a guinea pig and 2 quarter horses that she adopted, so I can't imagine the tough decision to have to give up a pet.

#243307 - 09/26/08 08:29 AM Re: Check s" in the mail next Wednesday.
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Mike, here in Lexington we have an organization called B.A.W.L. Bluegrass Animal Wefare League. It is a free spay neuter program for low income pet owners that also does a humane education for schools...sort of like a weekly reader program with environmental and animal issues discussed. The program is provided free for over 800 kids in Fayette County Kentucky schools. My office manager is treasurer of the group. I am one of the primary sponsors. I supplied cameras and printers for their pictures with Santa (or Easter Bunny, or whatever), regular cash donations, and play jobs where the client writes a check to B.A.W.L. That way, it is tax deductible as a donation.

But, my focus here is doing things with my friends in their area. That's why, if you send me the exact name of the organization, and your address, I'll mail you a check to deliver to your chosen group in your area. It will either be January 1 or April 1, at the latest, depending on several other pending responses.

Chas, I'll be glad to send you the check for our musician buddies and the New Orleans Habitat project that is involved. That will be January 1.

So glad that you and I can do a little thing like this together. And, it's really generous that you are making a contribution.

Thanks, folks. I need one more group to complete my little program through April 1, 2009. I'll let you know when we need additional suggestions for this small but important (to me, for sure) program. I'm thinking seriously of increasing the program to include donations of $300.00 a month, vs the current $300 per quarter, which I have already increased slightly when ideal groups popped up.

Isn't it great that people who have never met in person are making a small difference in the lives of people who really need assistance all over the country (world, really-counting our Monk friend suggested by Taike)? And, best of all, we're doing it together. For me, that's really what friendship is all about.

In appreciation,

Russ Lay

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 09-26-2008).]

#243308 - 09/26/08 09:22 AM Re: Check s" in the mail next Wednesday.
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Humane Association-Central Ny
4915 1/2 W Taft Rd
Liverpool, NY 13088

I wish we had a free spay-neuter program in this area, I think it would help make responsible owners out of a lot people that just don't have the means. We have one but it is not easily accessible only one vet accepts the certificates and he's not located conveniently to the people that need it.

I know animals are not on the top of a lot of the list of everybody but should you decide I will of course match your donation.
I will email you my info.

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 09-26-2008).]

#243309 - 09/26/08 09:34 AM Re: Check s" in the mail next Wednesday.
captain Russ Offline

Mike, it's already decided. Either Wednesday or no later than January 1 (depending on some pending submissions), the "Check is In The Mail". After all, us "animal folks" have to stick together.

Just send your mailing address via email and the exact name of the organization. Please include a note when you deliver or mail the check saying that the donation is in honor of our association as musicians, animal lovers and friends. If it's OK with you, I have been mailing the first checks directly to my friends here for delivery, with a note described above.

It's a really good thing you're doing, bud!

Best personal regards,

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 09-26-2008).]

#243310 - 09/27/08 10:57 AM Re: Check s" in the mail next Wednesday.
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Russ ..

This is a total "wow" thread. You have a kind heart...

I have been raising money for the NFL sponored "Ed Block Courage Award Foundation" . One player from each NFL team is nominated by their team to receive the Ed Block Award for over coming injury or illness.

This organization raises money to open courage houses with in NFL cities to help provide shelter for abused children. http://www.edblock.org/

When I had my music store, I donated guitars and had them signed by the NFL players and auctioned. I am proud to say I have raised over $12,000.00 for this worthy cause.

I sincerely submit this organization for consideration.

Regards ... Dan O'

#243311 - 09/27/08 12:47 PM Re: Check s" in the mail next Wednesday.
captain Russ Offline

Dan, I'm not a sports fan at all, but this sounds like an excellent cause identified by one of the people I admire and respect here. Just send me the official name of the charity and your mailing address. I think we're committed until April 1, 2009, but this group will be in the April disbursements. If I expand the program to $300.00 a month vs. $300 a quarter, the check for your group will come sooner. I've already exceeded to $300.00 the first two quarters.

It's great to see the various commitments we have, and I'm honored to participate in doing good things together. As I've said before, to me, doing good things, whether it's playing music or helping others, is what friendship is all about.

Thanks, so much, Dan.

I think that we now have enough suggestions for the moment. I'll ask for additional causes as we proceed.

Russ

#243312 - 09/27/08 12:55 PM Re: Check s" in the mail next Wednesday.
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Ed Block Courage Award Foundation
8808 Orchard Tree Lane
Towson MD 21286

Phone: 410.821.6252
Fax: 410.821.6240

Sam Lamantia Jr. CEO/Chairman of the Board
sam@edblock.org

#243313 - 09/28/08 10:14 AM Re: Check s" in the mail next Wednesday.
captain Russ Offline

Thanks, folks. That fills the schedule thru April 2009, unless I formally expand the program. I've already added 3 organizations to the original plan.

I'll let you know as things progress. I'll be asking for additional suggestions early next year.

Thanks to all for the great suggestions. Your involvement means a lot to me.

The Oct. 1 checks will arrive late next week or early the following week, depending on the post office. Otherwss will follow in January and April.

R.

#243314 - 10/04/08 09:43 AM Re: Check s" in the mail next Wednesday.
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Russ ... Got the check and it is on its way to the charity ...
Thank you and may God Bless you and yours ...
t.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online